For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Tiggers Module

Tigger

My module has been under construction for a while now. I thought I may post some piccies every now and then to show the progress from time to time

I am not going to give away the theme but there are some clues in the photos and also some things to mislead you :blink:

Looking towards the other modules

welcome003.jpg

Looking towards my fiddle yard

welcome006.jpg

just another view

welcome005.jpg

Still lots to do and the grass needs cutting ;)

Thanks Stu :)

An arial view to show the sweeps

welcome-008.jpg

With the only sunshine in Cornwall being the liquid type today work has continude a pace

The roadway is now finished as is almost all the ballasting. I also added the first of a few vehicles that will compliment the theme

welcome-010.jpg

welcome-009.jpg

The blue lights flash in a strobe effect but the long exposure on the camera makes them look like they are on together :blink:

The grass still needs cutting and a few very small areas of the road way need patching but all in all a good day ;)

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, Tigger, but I have one question - why does one end have two tracks and the other end three? Does this mean that you can only link at that end to another module with 3 tracks?

I'm guessing that Mike is using part of the fiddle yard board for extra track from his module , the right hand end in the photo is the connction to the next module .

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Tigger, but I have one question - why does one end have two tracks and the other end three? Does this mean that you can only link at that end to another module with 3 tracks?

Only one end (that with the double line only, on the right in the pic) is compatible with the module standards for joining to other modules.

Mike is right ;) Because I am building one of the fiddle yards my track curves to the centre of the board where it joins the fiddle yard. The third track with the sidings will have a head shunt on the fiddle yard board so I can have a shuttle running.

• RMweb Gold

Mike is right ;) Because I am building one of the fiddle yards my track curves to the centre of the board where it joins the fiddle yard. The third track with the sidings will have a head shunt on the fiddle yard board so I can have a shuttle running.

Ah, so we effectively have one end of the Great Modular Extravaganza already complete, then? ;)

Ah, so we effectively have one end of the Great Modular Extravaganza already complete, then? ;)

Complete is a little premature :unsure: Still have lots to do ............ but I'm getting there ;) Just need a few more to join in

For a while I have been fiddling with Picaxe Programmable Microprocessors with the intention of automating lots of functions in the model railway world.

Once you have got the idea of the programming, which is just like basic, you can almost make these little wonders do anything. More info HERE They are cheap too, this circuit cost about £4 in total.

For my SWAG Module there are going to be at least 4 of these Picaxe's controlling 2 shuttles, a signal with Theatre Indicator (more of these another time) and a 4 Aspect Signal.

The 4 aspect Signal is placed at the exit from my module and is triggered by an infra red sensor as each train leaves the module. The led's are controlled by the Picaxe 08M processor, the smallest in the range, and are programmed to fade in and out as required instead of just either being on or off. This I hopes makes them look a little more realistic. Also the programming allows for the signal to return to red from any of the three phases, Yellow, 2 Yellows or Green. If anyone would like a copy of the program I can PM it to you

This is the circuit board in place under the main board of the module

welcome.jpg

This Video shows the signal in operation. I have speeded up the sequence for this demo, it would normally have a 10 sec gap between each phase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4PnUCH5hJY

I know the signal is on the wrong side of the track but it was easier to video like this

A couple of new shots from the "public" side of my module showing a few more updates

welcome015.jpg

welcome016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have now added the base of the module with a single track shuttle which runs in front and then under the main board

The track is being tested by my trusty 08

_DSC01881.jpg

A little scenic work required but we're getting there. The train that will run on this lower shuttle will be a suprise, I hope, and will be totaly unique ;)

I have also been working on the next microprocessor controlled part of the Fiddle Yard / Module.

_DSC01931.jpg

The larger of the two boards is connected to the seep point motor switches and gives a read out on an LCD Screen, on the Fiddle Yard control panel, of which route to or from a siding you have selected. It also passes data to the second smaller board to control the signal and the Theatre Indicator

_DSC01961.jpg

It can also tell you when the selected points do not make a working route and it sugests the point that may need changing

_DSC01981.jpg

It also controls the up line signal on the module along with a Theatre Indicator displaying the Siding that the train will enter

_DSC01991.jpg_DSC01951.jpg

Apart from the signal all of this has cost less than £15, quite a lot of time for the programming. This is compleatly flexable and could be easily be adapted to any layout.

If anyone is interested in more details of how this was made or the programming let me know

• 4 months later...

This weekend the fencing contractors have been in. They didn't get the job finished, typical, I will have to speak to the foreman and give him a piece of my mind. :aggressive:

Anyway. Here are a few pics showing the progress (or lack of)

post-7934-0-78221200-1318178549_thumb.jpg

I don't think the fencing guys made as much progress as we hoped as they are all stuck down with blue tack :O

post-7934-0-96070700-1318178586_thumb.jpg

post-7934-0-56751400-1318178623_thumb.jpg

One tunnel mouth in for the lower level track

Any gusses as to what it is yet?

Archived