P4 - Finney 28xx Currently..

craigwelsh

Is this any better for an instructional drawing?

post-174-128171499618_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig, yes that's amazingly better (is that a correct expression?)!

I think that would pretty much solve all of the difficulties I found in the previous version. Even without the etch before me, and without any photos whatsoever, the whole part is easy to imagine. If you can use this representational form in all of the sequential views that you previously illustrated, I think the instructions will be excellent. You may have to play around with line thicknesses to allow optimum visibility for your chosen reproduction method and size (eg. photocopying printouts), but that should be easy.

I like Kempenfelt's idea of having "bendy arrows on the diagrams to show the direction of the folds", although there certainly is potential for overcrowding.

Anyway, it's nice that you're asking for feedback. Hope this helps a little.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

A good close up of a finished one helps too, at least you can see what you're supposed to finish up with.

Brass origami is always a difficult issue, different people see diagrams and pictures differently, and therefore have different perception of what they are looking at. There's no perfect answer, other than about 15 varied pictures for modellers to take their pick from.

• 3 weeks later...

Grrrrr, I told you that a 7f had 8 driving wheels and a front pony!!!!!! Back to the drawing board and get it right this time!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hehe, It is looking good, are you going to draw the twin brakeshoe version too as an option? So did my photo's from the ELR come in useful anyway? You know, the ones I took when I was playing trains and you were having to do something called work........tongue.gif

Keep up the good work!

Seems that someone knows what the chassis is for, with talk about the brakes. I assume looking at the frames it is an 0.8.2 therefore it must be a tank loco? The only one that springs to mind is a GNR 0.8.2T (LNER R1).

But then I'm probably wrong, would make a good loco though.

SteveT

Seems that someone knows what the chassis is for, with talk about the brakes. I assume looking at the frames it is an 0.8.2 therefore it must be a tank loco? The only one that springs to mind is a GNR 0.8.2T (LNER R1).

But then I'm probably wrong, would make a good loco though.

SteveT

Class 14 - the extra axle is the jackshaft. The rods alone would certainly be of interest if you're listening Craig ;)

Adam

Class 14 - the extra axle is the jackshaft. The rods alone would certainly be of interest if you're listening Craig wink.gif

Adam

Awww Adam you spoilsport, I was enjoying being one of the ones in the know! tongue.gif Only kidding, I don't think Craig's being intentionally covert about this one! wink.gif

Yeah the rod's as a separate etch i'm sure would lead to few sales and i'm 99% certain that Craig has considered this as an upgrade for the Heljan model, prehaps with a few other detailing bits? Craig would cosmetic sideframes be possible, potentionally with the ability to spring 1 or more of the axle's on the Heljan model a la Brassmatsers/Bill Bedford system?

The rods alone would certainly be of interest if you're listening Craig wink.gif

I'll take a set too!

As I mentioned off-board if you want to borrow a Heljan 14 to mess about with then mines sat here doing the sum total of nothing. I think there's a number of little areas that could be improved, perhaps even a new etched cab would be possible?

Pix

Round and round the garden............rolleyes.gif

I had to google that one, nice :). Now I've also discovered folk songs have a cataloguing system :blink: !

Coupling rods would be possible if someone can check the 6'6,4'6,4'6 is accurate from Heljan. In 0.25mm material the jack shaft boss is 8 layers thick on the prototype! At the moment though i've drawn the rods from a superseded SL/SW drawing and the replacement drawing is probably in the Swindon box that couldn't be found the last time I was in the NRM.

I'm probably going to draw the bonnet doors next as the drawing for those and the cooling louvres is pretty clear and easy to follow.

I'm hoping a drawing for the window frames pops up at some stage though I can get the correct aperture sizes from the cab framework and bulkhead plans. I have the plans for the cab doors though to do.

I haven't done the brake shoes yet, just the pair of hangers these were built with. All preserved 14's seem to have the later single shoes. Robert Carrol has a couple of pictures with the original brakes in his Flickr album.

Yeah the rod's as a separate etch i'm sure would lead to few sales and i'm 99% certain that Craig has considered this as an upgrade for the Heljan model, prehaps with a few other detailing bits? Craig would cosmetic sideframes be possible, potentionally with the ability to spring 1 or more of the axle's on the Heljan model a la Brassmatsers/Bill Bedford system?

Doing stuff as detailing bits really depends on how accurate Heljan were with their model, I don't intend buying one unless I get one very cheap to check against.

I don't think there is much point in cosmetic sideframes as Heljan are probably about right here. What they missed were the external hornblocks (see Class 14: D9514 (as NCB No.4) NCB Ashington Colliery )

Coupling rods would be possible if someone can check the 6'6,4'6,4'6 is accurate from Heljan.

Quick check suggests they got it spot on. The Ultrascale crankpins are 1.5mm diameter if that helps in the design.

Pix

I had to google that one, nice smile.gif. Now I've also discovered folk songs have a cataloguing system blink.gif !

You'd better share it with me. I know lots'n'lots'n'lots of folk songs and that line doesn't ring a bell or sound a horn!

Chris [not exactly a closet folkie]

You'd better share it with me. I know lots'n'lots'n'lots of folk songs and that line doesn't ring a bell or sound a horn!

Chris [not exactly a closet folkie]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_and_round_the_garden Nursery Rhyme but its in some sort of folk catalogue system. The 2nd line was the relevant bit..

Thanks Pix, looks like these would work then when I finish them off. Think i'll use Bill Bedford style location pins for sweating the layers together.

I've updated the lever guide instructions to the more plain outline type and put them in a pdf below:

edit: Updated, see here .

The added benefit of these over the colour ones is a quick bit of photocopying!

Let me know what you think though remember to refer back to an earlier picture of the etch if possible as it should make more sense with one in front of you.

These will be available at Scaleforum though I haven't fixed the price yet.

Brass buffer ferrule test. Rear one as supplied, front one after a bit of work in the mini drill.

post-174-044804400 1284133756_thumb.jpg

Fifteen without loss was last nights score in the lever guard folding dept. Do I get a black belt for that feat of origami? The instructions certainly worked well and I've only suggested a couple of minor amendments to Craig for clarification.

Only another thirty to go!

Andy

Good work Andy! I heard that you had a bit of a production run going on, why the odd number though or is that 45 pairs? :D

For anybody who is yet to make up their leaver guards, the best bit of advice I can give is to use or get yourself a good pair tweezers! I didn't have a pair to hand when I folded up my first pair and just about got away with it, however you do make it hard work for yourself!

Good luck with the batch building Andy, will there be any progress to show at Scaleforum?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Definitely need good tweezers and a small soldering iron bit. The ability to apply the tiniest amount of solder is a very definite benefit with these. The reason for the odd number is that Craig has put five levers and guards on each etch, last night I worked through three etches and have another six to go. For the batch build on Slattocks we've each got twenty wagons so I'd asked Craig for enough lever etches to complete these and have some spares.

I won't be at Scaleforum but I think Craig will. I'm aiming to have my wagons complete if not painted by Christmas and will be demoing them at Manchester all being well.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Not sure I can make Manchester at the moment as i'm already commited to exhibiting at Scaleforum, Blackburn and Cardiff. I'll see what I can do though, also depends on vacancy at Hotel Whilding. ;) I'm sure Craig can take and upload some pics to grace this thread all being well, rumour has it that Coke-Cola are very generously donating a new camera to Craig so he needs an excuse to use it! :P

On the subject of demonstrating, I will be doing a small demonstration at Scaleforum as part of the Bristol Barrow Road team, this should include some of Craig's etches so anybody who want's a closer look please come and find me. I will also have some fully sprung coaches and wouldn't be too suprised if a TPO or 3 are plonked in front of me whilst i'm not looking! By the way Craig, whats the chances of a few more etches to demonstrate with, prehaps some lever guards? ;) :P

Paul

I'm going to have to darken the drawings on the instructions for print as they came out a bit light when I was going to duplicate them on the photocopier (the darken option wasn't really an option on a poor master). I'm also going to make the numbers bigger as the drawings themselves as the drawings are legible at about A6 size but the numbers weren't!

Demo in Manchester eh?

Duly noted B)

Also note that it won't be a continuous demo. :) We have a demo desk with three seats at it and a rota of people, so I'll probably be doing an hour or two and then letting somebody else have a go - Craig :huh: ?

Andy

Archived