Wellington Road (Leeds) 1975-79 period

Hugh Flynn

Hi

Just a few photo,s of layout based in Leeds ,i designed this layout to be a second station just 1/4 mile from the centre of Leeds used for avoiding freight and local services

to the surrounding districts but due to a power failure at Leeds main station all mainline passenger trains terminate and head off in the other direction.(This allows me to have a Deltic and 3 coaches)

So the day is busy for the signal man with lots of movements.

I still have all the station furniture, buffer stops ,colour lights ,figures and a fiddle yard to do before the Derby show on 14/15th may

but it gives a idea of what i am doing.

Still need a picture of a BRITISH RAIL PROPERTY BOARD FOR SALE sign for old warehouses if anyone can help?

Sorry not best of photo,s done with small camera and little time.

Hugh

post-7432-0-19436200-1304548794_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-29997200-1304548811_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-22985800-1304548835_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-24865600-1304548860_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-29521900-1304548874_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-52793500-1304548891_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Looks convincing to me, Hugh. I assume the main line trains appear from under the bridge on the right, run around & then disappear again?

Do you have a track plan (knowing you're the king of XtrakCAD?)

Hi

yes i have track plan will post it tonight.

Yes loco and 2-3 coaches on view just to give impression of large mainline train.

Freight will trundle through but to a max length 3ft so say 25 plus couple off vans bogie bolster,tanker and gaurds van.

All this after buying a couple of blue/grey pullmans from a RM Web member.

Hugh

• 2 years later...

I think this was in one of the magazines supplyments a while ago? i was impressed when I saw it then .

Very clever , great modelling ,just goes to show what you can do in a small space

Brian

With so much interest in designs compact layouts, I am surprised that this thread has never had more "hits".

I couldn't agree more, it is a No 1 Layout and deserves a load more hits, views and Likes.

Hugh is the master of small Layouts, that DON'T LOOK SMALL, but part of the bigger picture that is the other side of the Bridge.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just found this for first time following the link posted on the other thread mentioned above.

If it is any help for your back-history scenario a few years ago in looking for a plausible Yorkshire never-wazza I came up with Leeds Eastgate which seems similar to your Leeds line. (Edit - I guess as you've called it Wellington Rd yours is set in west Leeds not east Leeds).

It was an ex-NER spur coming down the valley from near Headingley towards the Quarry Hill area crossing over (or under) the main NER line to York/Selby and then butt joining with the actually built GN and NE lines in the Hunslet/Cross Green areas. A spur heading west onto the NER line into Leeds New also a possible.  

To bring it into the modern era assume when Leeds Central was closed the Harrogate services kept this line open and the route down to Armley/Wortley and Main Line Junctions west of Leeds was closed instead. The excuse being required, expensive, viaduct repairs. You can then run services like Harrogate - Manchester Airport etc., in addition to the diversions etc., you already have together with the existing York - Harrogate - Leeds Pacer services.

The other option, which I toyed with, was the GNR built through as far as Quarry Hill independently, instead of sharing Central with the L&Y, and the track plan could be a Minories. Loco servicing from LNER days onwards at Neville Hill. 

One of my many semi-plausible, but not built, layout ideas!

Edited by john new

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...