Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

• RMweb Gold

Why stop at 50...

Just because BR did is no reason not to apply rule 1...

50/2 .. SWT livery

50/3 .. RES, EWS, DBS

50/4 .. FGW green, Revised FGW green, , Porterbrook, First, Chiltern, VCC ?

50/9 .. NR yellow.

Of course how our national infrastructure changed, they could have been transferred to Scotland to speed up highland services :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go for it and ordered D400 from Bure Valley Models.  Loco arrived well packed and there were no loose bits or any details fallen off.   Gave it a quick test run and loco ran nice and smooth and directional lights working as they should.   Very happy.  :)

Regards,  John

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Afternoon,

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my class 50 project that is underway at the moment. I started this back in the summer and am aiming to finish by the beginning of March, in time to run on Portland at the Basingstoke show. It started off as a second hand 50004 and will become 50039. It's getting there, with most of the body completed apart from buffer beam steps, lamp irons and a few other small details that I'm leaving to the end to avoid damaging them during other work. At the moment I am focusing on the underframe and bogie detail. I'll post some more pics if anyone is interested in seeing what I have done in detail.

Cheers,

Kevin.

post-29524-0-91598100-1516292533_thumb.jpg

post-29524-0-57964100-1516292636_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Kevin

It's looking great and I like what you've done with the underframe. I ended up avoiding doing much to mine but you might tempt me too :)

Are you doing much to the roof?

cheers

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks. Yes, I've done a bit to the roof to try and correct Hornby's mistakes. The usual mods to the exhaust ports and radiator fan have been done, using some parts from Shawplan. I've also modified the gutters around the cabs to match the pitch of the front windows and reprofiled the roof around the headcode boxes. A new engine room extractor fan cowl has been made and repositioned. The lower edge of all the roof panels has also been moved closer to the line of the gutters. I'll take some pictures.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin

It's looking great and I like what you've done with the underframe. I ended up avoiding doing much to mine but you might tempt me too :)

Are you doing much to the roof?

cheers

Will

Hi Will,

I've added a photo showing some of the roof detail to my layout thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112640-trethosa/page-2

Cheers,

Kevin.

Edited by 37672

• 1 month later...

Afternoon,

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my class 50 project that is underway at the moment. I started this back in the summer and am aiming to finish by the beginning of March, in time to run on Portland at the Basingstoke show. It started off as a second hand 50004 and will become 50039. It's getting there, with most of the body completed apart from buffer beam steps, lamp irons and a few other small details that I'm leaving to the end to avoid damaging them during other work. At the moment I am focusing on the underframe and bogie detail. I'll post some more pics if anyone is interested in seeing what I have done in detail.

Cheers,

Kevin.

attachicon.gif20180103_231425.jpg

attachicon.gif20180110_211531.jpg

Love it!  Nice to see someone who understands the shape of the rainstrip around the cabs - which is a big contributing factor to the sad 'droopy' look of the windscreens on these locos.  Have you done anything to the compressors? Hornby missed out the inner portion of the mounting cradle and have modeled them balancing mysteriously on the outer secton of the cradle - always looked weird.

Seeing your model in grey plastic , and with that polybulk in the background , are you sure it wouldn't look nicer as Defiance :)

Jon 

Edited by 43179

Love it!  Nice to see someone who understands the shape of the rainstrip around the cabs - which is a big contributing factor to the sad 'droopy' look of the windscreens on these locos.  Have you done anything to the compressors? Hornby missed out the inner portion of the mounting cradle and have modeled them balancing mysteriously on the outer secton of the cradle - always looked weird.

Seeing your model in grey plastic , and with that polybulk in the background , are you sure it wouldn't look nicer as Defiance :)

Jon 

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I have had a go at modelling the tanks, pipework and frame between the compressors. I have yet to add the protective mesh that covers the underside in this area.

post-29524-0-04892500-1520204553.jpg

The loco has moved on a bit since my last post here. I did think about 149 (actually I have one of the Rail Express limited editions) but wanted more flexibilty in terms of the period of operation for my layout Trethosa, and also for another layout idea I have where a large logo machine would be much better suited.

post-29524-0-06109200-1520204779_thumb.jpg

Note the marker lights are not fixed in place yet, and there is still maskol on the cabside handrails.

Cheers,

Kevin.

• Like 8

...and that's quite simply the best 4mm scale class 50 I've ever seen.

Jon

Thanks for your kind comment Jon.

One more pic taken during the Basingstoke show with the 50 on the depot at Portland (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108407-portland-a-what-might-have-been-nse-layout-in-dorset-preparing-for-basingstoke/page-7)

post-29524-0-32845900-1520878611_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the wonky buffer! Still some bits to add including windscreen wipers.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Edited by 37672
  • Like 2

Looking awesome... much better than my efforts!

Anyone got any methods of keeping the buffers straight as I've ended up glueing some of my worst offenders.... which feels a little sad seeing as they're sprung.

Cheers

Will

Looking awesome... much better than my efforts!

Anyone got any methods of keeping the buffers straight as I've ended up glueing some of my worst offenders.... which feels a little sad seeing as they're sprung.

Cheers

Will

Thanks Will, but I think it was the pics of your 50s on flickr that helped motivate me to have a go at 50039. I think they capture the locos Superb(ly) (sorry) in their latter years.

Agreed, if anyone knows of a way to stop the buffers rotating whilst keeping their springyness I'd be very interested to hear. I have thought about it, but so far haven't come up with a solution that wouldn't be overly noticeable.

The other thing I haven't added yet is the guard irons on the bogies. Quite a complex shape to make. Penbits class 37 sprung bogie kits have them, but they are part of the bogie frame, so they can't be sold separately - I have asked!

Cheers,

Kevin.

Edited by 37672

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me what year the Hornby versions of these were first produced:

R2374 - 50031

R2408 - 50007

R2499 - 50007

Many thanks

and

The first two appear on the 3rd revision of the service sheet in Jan 2005, but not the first edition from Oct 2003. R2499 appeared on the next revision of the service sheet in August 2006.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just over a fortnight late on the uptake but I've noticed Hornby has supplied a photo of the pre-production livery sample for 50033 - Looking good so far!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/network-south-east-class-50-co-co-50033-glorious-era-8.html

What’s more 50033 has a delivery date of October...

Why is this significant...

It’s targetted to be the return to traffic of 50033 on October 3rd at the Severn Valley Railways class 50’s at 50 years gala, featuring 10 class 50’s.. including 50033. I was at the SVR on Saturday, there was 5 class 50’s lurking around Kidderminster as it was, 50044,31 around the shed, 049/007 on the Network Rail access road for today’s trip and 50035 in service, with D821 and 2 westerns outside, and apparently 50027/33 and D7029 inside, Kidderminster felt like old oak common.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Just over a fortnight late on the uptake but I've noticed Hornby has supplied a photo of the pre-production livery sample for 50033 - Looking good so far!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/network-south-east-class-50-co-co-50033-glorious-era-8.html

50033 looks pretty good when compared with some photos, however the BR Logo. Nameplate etc., look a little crushed (the reason I checked - but it did appear like that).  Perhaps thats why it lost its BR Logo.

Personally, I would have prefered it with no BR Arrows, and possibly with "West of England" Logos, as per rail tour use, but still a nice Class 50.

Perusing Hornby's website - Cannot really understand why 50033 is £169.99 whilst 50040 is £179.99...

Regards,

C.

50033 looks pretty good when compared with some photos, however the BR Logo. Nameplate etc., look a little crushed (the reason I checked - but it did appear like that).  Perhaps thats why it lost its BR Logo.

Personally, I would have prefered it with no BR Arrows, and possibly with "West of England" Logos, as per rail tour use, but still a nice Class 50.

Perusing Hornby's website - Cannot really understand why 50033 is £169.99 whilst 50040 is £179.99...

Regards,

C.

I have to say I prefer it in this version as it represents 50033's days as an OC machine.

I'm planning to fit ploughs and I may even paint the bogie springs yellow as per this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rodneyhowe/18784105044/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

C.

Wild guess, but economics, maybe they are making more of 50033 than 040 so benefits a better price ?

(However counter that but 50010 was done earlier this year in much the same livery as 040).