Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

Either way, stupid prices for what is now quite old tooling. Easy to resist temptation with rrp that high.

Agreed! Too high for me to be tempted which is good thing as have plenty of other projects to keep me occupied! Does look nice though

What’s more 50033 has a delivery date of October...

Why is this significant...

It’s targetted to be the return to traffic of 50033 on October 3rd at the Severn Valley Railways class 50’s at 50 years gala, featuring 10 class 50’s.. including 50033. I was at the SVR on Saturday, there was 5 class 50’s lurking around Kidderminster as it was, 50044,31 around the shed, 049/007 on the Network Rail access road for today’s trip and 50035 in service, with D821 and 2 westerns outside, and apparently 50027/33 and D7029 inside, Kidderminster felt like old oak common.

Thanks for the info on Glorious. I got to drive it at the ELR, more years ago than I care to remember. After what happened at Steam I didn't have great hopes for the future after it ended up at Brum, but it's great to hear of it's return to traffic. A visit to catch up with the old girl is needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just over a fortnight late on the uptake but I've noticed Hornby has supplied a photo of the pre-production livery sample for 50033 - Looking good so far!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/network-south-east-class-50-co-co-50033-glorious-era-8.html

Where the yellow warning panel on the front wraps around the side doesn't look right to me, viewed side on the yellow wraps to far around the side and to to much of a point?

Is it me or does that area look not look quite right to any one else?

Where the yellow warning panel on the front wraps around the side doesn't look right to me, viewed side on the yellow wraps to far around the side and to to much of a point?

Is it me or does that area look not look quite right to any one else?

Here is a photo!

post-3411-0-41386400-1535229014_thumb.jpg

I think you maybe have a point there. The yellow point looks like it come further along the bodywork relative to the sections of the cab windows

That's on the painted sample I meant compared to either the livery diagram or prototype photo

Edited by GordonC

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure 50027 is correct to compare against.

50033 did have the point extend beyond the first edge of the cab window, but it didn’t reach the whole window

What I find more odd is the BR logo.. it didn’t have this very long.

My recollections of it was without BR arrows, and a “west of England” logo on the side.

from what I can see it was LL Blue in October 1989, and NSE without the BR logo by May 1990 & thereafter.

There are pictures of it with the BR logo ex-works in January -March 1990, so I guess that’s a max 5 month window (possibly just 3 months) for this model, assuming it lasted until the May picture I found online.

The picture on Hornbys website only shows one end, so we don’t know if there are lower handrails or not, (correct answer is not on the Other end).

Incidentally, I found this online of it’s rubdown / repaint taken in July in Kidderminster shed.., stilll showing its absence of lower hand rails at that end.

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/50033/hb107f0df#hb107f0df

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure the model will have all handrails present, including the 2 that should be missing.

The model of D400/50050 had the ones that should be missing !

Cheers,

Phil.

Just been looking at the video of the Hornby model of 50033, and pictures of the real thing, unfortunetly it looks like i am right, the yellow panel should wrap around the side and come to a blunt point near enough in line with the front bottom corner of the quater light, the Hornby version comes to a much sharper point in line with the pillar between the quarter light and the drop light window.

It does look to me like they have made the same mistake with 50002, but for some reason it doesn't seem as noticeable (ive got 002 and never noticed it until now), why it sticks out more on 033 ive no idea.

I do hope Hornby corrected it as id hate everyone to say 'that's another NSE livery they havn't got right', but sadly, I doubt they will, im guessing its to far into the production stage to do anything now.

• RMweb Gold

My model of 50002 is nearly finished, just needs a couple of final handrails adding and the orange cantrail line reapplying once i get a bow pen (as I just cant get on with the transfers i have been using).

29337776227_a0041433f3_k.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr

This has been fitted with Shawplan windscreens, roof grill and exhausts, cast replacement side grills, P4 wheels, along with a full respray.

I think the roof grill makes a big difference to improving the finesse of the final model, as does getting rid of the opening bodyside grills.

I also had to do a bit of work to 50007 after the plate under the cabs that mounts the lighting unit and NEM socket ended up like this thanks to Mazac rot.

42466185660_5a7666fe23_h.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr

I have cobbled it back together without the mazac,

44225573472_524e363bcb_k.jpgUntitled by The Fatadder, on Flickr 

• Like 6

I’m not sure 50027 is correct to compare against.

50033 did have the point extend beyond the first edge of the cab window, but it didn’t reach the whole window

What I find more odd is the BR logo.. it didn’t have this very long.

My recollections of it was without BR arrows, and a “west of England” logo on the side.

from what I can see it was LL Blue in October 1989, and NSE without the BR logo by May 1990 & thereafter.

There are pictures of it with the BR logo ex-works in January -March 1990, so I guess that’s a max 5 month window (possibly just 3 months) for this model, assuming it lasted until the May picture I found online.

The picture on Hornbys website only shows one end, so we don’t know if there are lower handrails or not, (correct answer is not on the Other end).

Incidentally, I found this online of it’s rubdown / repaint taken in July in Kidderminster shed.., stilll showing its absence of lower hand rails at that end.

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/50033/hb107f0df#hb107f0df

They certainly seem to have gone for 50033 as it was when first outshopped in NSE (with the exception that Hornby hasn't so far painted the axle springs yellow). This does of course mean the loco can be modelled with ploughs, which will make for a nice addition.

Pretty sure the model will have all handrails present, including the 2 that should be missing.

The model of D400/50050 had the ones that should be missing !

Cheers,

Phil.

They made a total pigs ear of D400, given that it was meant to represent the loco 'as-built' but was modelled on a refurb body...

how so? it has the sandbox fillers, no headlight and the roof is correct? how is it a refurb body?

I will admit to having to backtrack slightly here, for I haven't ever noticed the roof cut-out being present, having only seen photos of the other side of the loco and immediately steering clear having seen Hornby fitted the model with an exhauster fan cover (as fitted to refurbs). So yes, not a refurb body but one which is presented as a hybrid due to the detail fitted. Unfortunately it is a detail which, if removed, would damage the finish of the roof. Not something you'd expect on a commemorative model. Whilst I can understand the inclusion of the front handrails (due to tooling) it is this error and the incorrect roof detail which made me avoid this model.

Yes, sure I have seen photos of it with NRN pods as far back as 1991.

I hear your 1991 and I raise you 1988! Having searched, here's a picture of '33 in what claims to be 1988 with NRN pods. Date aside, this proves is that it has NRN while still in Large Logo, therefore certainly when repainted into in NSE livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66202473@N04/8227026157/

Therefore (said with regret) Hornby have got it wrong (AGAIN....!). If only they posted pre-production images on here/gave to external experts for a once over, these mistakes could be avoided.

No slight against the Hornby R&D team, but I know from my own work, I just can't see things that stand out to others, for dint of being too immersed! Therefore third party eyes are always good.

Sorry to say that with the wrong smokebox door on various Q1 re-releases, wrong cab on Castle 5043, and now this, Hornby are still not back to their 2000-2012 best (yes I know historically they were not perfect e.g. mess up with 50027 Lion unrefurbished window in NSE livery).

I've said before a number of times, it’s all well and good have commendable huge wealth of tooling variations, but if someone, be it in Margate or China, is not meticulously checking which slides used, you might as well head back to the1980s and generic tooling that covers the majority of the class for a majority of time periods and leave it at that!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's quality control is certainly on point right now!

Photo's from the website of a Sheffield based shop:

attachicon.gif50033 Olivias.png

Just be sure to check individual models before purchasing...

Cheers

James

Has it really got the numbers printed on one side twice and not on the other ?..

OMG....

Edited by adb968008