Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

• RMweb Gold

Missed one out, 

attachicon.gifIMG_5497.JPG

Does Hornby monitor this forum?

Spoken to Rails who say they only just got them in then shipped out so that means this is how mine left the factory.

This kind of total disrespect for the customer by uncaring, underpaid Chinese workers will bring the hobby down badly.

Sick of sloppiness and repairing brand new models.

I'll shut up now as I can feel my BR rising. 

I have identical issues - I emailed Rails yesterday and await a reply...

OMG this is terrible, they need to stop selling them

This is so serious, OMG

• Like 1

I weren't too impressed with the previous 50's either.  They didn't have a very good finish and one of the 50024 Vanguard's that I saw had a crack similar to that of D400.  Hornby has also had recent problems with the Coal Sector HFA, as they say "Canopy" but don't have one on the model....  As previously stated by other users - Hornby need to look at the Quality Assurance...

Regards,

• Like 2

I weren't too impressed with the previous 50's either.  They didn't have a very good finish and one of the 50024 Vanguard's that I saw had a crack similar to that of D400.  Hornby has also had recent problems with the Coal Sector HFA, as they say "Canopy" but don't have one on the model....  As previously stated by other users - Hornby need to look at the Quality Assurance...

Regards,

It's really heartbreaking isn't it, not only do we not get the models we had been looking forward to but a brand we have grown up with and supported thinks so little of us that they palm us off with this crap.

I really am too angry to write more

Regards,

The TTS 37 also looks nothing like the pic that was advertised, the initial pic advertised was the correct body and nose, the one released is a split headcode totally wrong

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived safely from Derails today,

Nice little note inside the box saying inspected before shipping.

Personally I think this is great one.

I'd like to see 50033 Glorious in NSE livery as end of service too (I know This D400 model is 1967).

• RMweb Premium

The TTS 37 also looks nothing like the pic that was advertised, the initial pic advertised was the correct body and nose, the one released is a split headcode totally wrong

Actually the split headcode ends is about the only thing on the Frankenstein's Cock Up that was actually right!!!  The only thing that is good for is remotoring old Lima's so expect a lot of the bodys to end up on Ebay.  As for the HAA hopper fiasco, it wasn't just that they were missing their canopies, they were incorrectly made using the old 1980's now Railroad range tooling when it should have been the more modern version.

• RMweb Gold

I have now had a very positive response from Rails and the offending loco will be going back tomorrow

I am not alone apparently and they are now opening these up pre-despatch

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I have now had a very positive response from Rails and the offending loco will be going back tomorrow

I am not alone apparently and they are now opening these up pre-despatch

Chris

Excellent attitude ....and a sensible one.....from Rails.

Picked mine up today at "The Loco'shed " a good inspection showed up no problems other than the body not fully down at one end, easily sorted (pushed it down till heard a click). Test it run it in and if all ok fit a decoder later. Time to double head with D421 later.

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived safely from Derails today,

Nice little note inside the box saying inspected before shipping.

Personally I think this is great one.

I'd like to see 50033 Glorious in NSE livery as end of service too (I know This D400 model is 1967).

Another good reason for buying from Derails.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yeah. I thought for a while that Hornby had got past their QC issues , based on 2 Halls, 42XX , N2 and Peckett. All which ran faultlessly. However it appears that QC is an issue again . I know Hereford inspect before despatch and now Derails and Rails , for this model. Seems a sensible approach .

Does anyone know the code on this model i.e. Where it was made. I'm wondering if we can trace the QC issues to one particular producer or factory? Of course Hornby should be doing this , but seem to be relying on us and now model shops to do their QC.

Both 50033 and D400 need a little surgery as they have rather unique cabfront handrail arrangements;

D400 does not have the grabrails above the taillights at either end, never did and the only 50 like this

50033 does not have the grabrails above the buffers at No1 end, obviously lost an argument with something in the 60's/70's. Also 50033 ended in Large Logo Blue, it changed colour a bit towards the end of its BR days

• RMweb Premium

I collected my D400 from Arcadia Models at Shaw today. Ran it on their test track, it looks good and runs well. Will be even better when its fitted with sound and weathered.

Thans LaGrange for the info about the handrails; I'm happy to do a bit of modelling to get them spot on.

Actually the split headcode ends is about the only thing on the Frankenstein's Cock Up that was actually right!!!  The only thing that is good for is remotoring old Lima's so expect a lot of the bodys to end up on Ebay.  As for the HAA hopper fiasco, it wasn't just that they were missing their canopies, they were incorrectly made using the old 1980's now Railroad range tooling when it should have been the more modern version.

Thought the HFA's were based on the now railroad tooling (and not the high spec tool as intended) - as one retailer were selling them as 'railroad' at that sort of price, but I didn't wish to speculate as I couldn't be 100% certain with not seeing them in the flesh.  However I see others are still selling them at around the £45.00 mark. 

On the subject of D400, and a positive note - saw one in a shop the other day, with all its buffers and no body crack.  The 60087 in colas next to it though, was missing a windscreen wiper blade! Oh well, carn't win them all!  Maybe it were in the box?  

Regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought the HFA's were based on the now railroad tooling (and not the high spec tool as intended) - as one retailer were selling them as 'railroad' at that sort of price, but I didn't wish to speculate as I couldn't be 100% certain with not seeing them in the flesh.

They were supposed to be the super detail ones and not the Railroad ones.

This rather troubled product announcement comes from Model Railways Direct:

"Hornby R3571 BR Class 50 'Renown' '50029' - Class 50 is Fifty, Special Edition Presentation Pack

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Class 50 entering service, this Special Edition pack recreates English Electric Type 4, D400 in a British Railways Blue liver, typical for a West Coast Main Line service in late 1967."

PS: I've never seen a blue liver - and I'm not sure I want to.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Class 50 entering service, this Special Edition pack recreates English Electric Type 4, D400 in a British Railways Blue liver, typical for a West Coast Main Line service in late 1967."

PS: I've never seen a blue liver - and I'm not sure I want to.

Blue Liver was available in the restaurant car on the Coronation Scot service when it first entered service in 1938

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This rather troubled product announcement comes from Model Railways Direct:

"Hornby R3571 BR Class 50 'Renown' '50029'

Renown 50029? So Model Railways Direct have got the typing wrong. Who's gonna be the first to blame Hornby for it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

50033 does not have the grabrails above the buffers at No1 end, obviously lost an argument with something in the 60's/70's. Also 50033 ended in Large Logo Blue, it changed colour a bit towards the end of its BR days

Agreed it had a few liveries towards the end, but to many enthusiasts it's fame came from being a partner to 007 or D400 in NSE, but with withdrawal looming it was the bride without a groom, and putting lipstick on the pig got it into the NRM, even if it was soon pushed from the nest.

It was also a bit unique in the Network South East branding being placed inline to its nameplate.. making a statement about NSE ! As well as no arrows etc..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like these defective 50s could be those rejected during QA and then repaired - to a fashion. Why do I say this? Because it seems that most have gone to one retailer (Rails) not to all. Probably all the repaired models were boxed and shipped together so when distributed by Hornby they have more or less gone to one retailer only. let's hope so anyway.