Recipe (?) for blending Humbrol paints into rail colours?

Unfortunately, living in Russia and having left all my books and paints in the UK, I am somewhat stuck as to how to create SR Malachite green by blending Humbrol paints. I have a Humbrol publication that gives the recipe (?) for blending their paints into railway colours. For Malachite green it involved using No2 Emerald gloss as the base. I am further stuffed because I haven't seen Humbrol paints on sale in Russia but have seen some Revell paints. There are no dedicated model shops in Russia that we take for granted in UK and I am unable to have paint sent through our postal system. Only a couple of toyshops stock any models and these are usually Zevezda or Revell (and these are usually twice the price of UK). Zvezda also do paints but I have been unable to find a colour chart for them even on the company's website.

If anyone has the publication I am referring to, I would be grateful if you could provide me with the Humbrol paint numbers, their quantity in the blend and if possible the Revell paint equivalent number (Humbrol provided this on their colour charts) so that I can create Malachite green to hand paint a kit I am building. I am aware that Humbrol recommended a top coat of satin varnish and this created the correct hue of green but I shall have to apply this when I return to UK next year.

Thanks,

Steve

I don't have the book, but my Humbrol colour chart doesn't give a 'translation' for Revell for No.2 Emerald gloss. It gives 'Gunze Sangyo' No. 26 as a match and 'Testor' 1524. Didn't see anything for RAL, BS, Life Colour, Games Workshop, Tamiya or FS.

Humbrol's web-site show a railway colour RC409 (acrylic, RRP ??1.39) for Southern Malachite, I take it this is the one you can't get?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Steve,

Hunbrols "The Colour System" folder gives the following for Malachite Green...

#2 x 80 parts or %

#25 x 12 parts or %

#77 x 8 parts or %

#34 x 4 parts or %

and also states to overcoat with satin varnish #135

#2 = Gloss Emerald Green

#25 = Matt Blue

#77 = Matt Navy Blue

#34 = Matt White

The folder states to use the Interblend kit which does come with a useful plastic calibrated syringe, but any good quality syringe or cough medicine cup should be as good as long as it is calibrated on the sides.

HTH

Mike

Humbrol's web-site show a railway colour RC409 (acrylic, RRP ??1.39) for Southern Malachite, I take it this is the one you can't get?

Steve & Huggin,

This colour 'should' be a match to the Hornby Malachite green used on their latest models, Post 2008.

Some people seem to think that this isn't quite the correct shade, being a bit dark. However not looked at it myself as I'm a diesel man :D so I'm unable to corroborate that statement really!

However , being acrylic, Water base, you should be able to get it sent mail order ... as long as it's not crushed and pops open !!

Again, HTH

Mike

Thank you for the recipe. It is typical that there is no Revell equivalent for Emerald green. I do have some Zevezda paints including one that I thought looked like a Malachite type of colour but it was too light and yellowy. However, now that I know what the other colours are for the recipe, I might be able to get close. Unfortunately, our mail system restrictions do not allow any liquids and my previous attempt to order acrylic paint resulted in a request to send the postal people ??10 to send it on to another UK address or it would be destroyed - I decided I could live without the paint and could find something better to spend the tenner on.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you for the recipe. It is typical that there is no Revell equivalent for Emerald green. I do have some Zevezda paints including one that I thought looked like a Malachite type of colour but it was too light and yellowy. However, now that I know what the other colours are for the recipe, I might be able to get close. Unfortunately, our mail system restrictions do not allow any liquids and my previous attempt to order acrylic paint resulted in a request to send the postal people ??10 to send it on to another UK address or it would be destroyed - I decided I could live without the paint and could find something better to spend the tenner on.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regards,

Steve

Following may or may not be of interest: 3mm Scale Model Railways list Precision Paints which they stock, see their website:

www.3smr.co.uk

Following are listed: P 77 Prewar (WW 2) Malachite Green

P 78 Postwar (WW 2)Malachite Green

gresley

Um, the first reply did...

Having tried to send computer equipment into Russia and some ancillary bits I can certainly sympathise with you having to get some paint from outside of the country.

Didnt read the entire thread <_< .

Archived