Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

I like a nice backscene but have seen a certain photographic one a few times too many (don't think yours is the same one though).

Doing your own may be an option if you can find a spot where it's possible to get a panoramic view... which may be tricky in a forest.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Gold

For Forrest of Dean hills perhaps photos from the other side of the Severn (suitably cropped to remove traces of the river) might do the job? Will try and remember to have a look while I'm walking the dog this evening.

I will be at the dean Forrest railway early next month, so can keep my eyes open for any suitable locations to work from while I'm there

Hello all,

Last weekend saw Parkend escape from the workshop and appear at a friend's annual trains/cricket/barbecue/ale-athon.

attachicon.gifIMG_7915.JPG

Whilst it's primarily a social, it was a good excuse to test out packing and transporting the layout before having to do it 'for real' at an exhibition. It also provided the impetus to finish the dull tasks of finishing the packing crates, tool box, layout curtain and, most importantly, beverage holders that I've been putting off for so long.

attachicon.gifIMG_7650.JPG

I'm pleased to say it went well and the resulting snagging list isn't huge - it's mostly refinement, rather than major reworks. One area that was highlighted as a bit weak was the backscene, for the last few years it's been little more than a coat of light blue and some greeny/brown card representing hills or trees. I've always a been of the logic that less is more with backscenes; the mind filling in any blanks however I was encouraged to take a look at photo backscenes.

attachicon.gifIMG_7921.JPG

Trying out a roll of photo backscene I had to hand, I'm amazed at how it lifts and transforms the layout. It makes the old attempt look clinical and almost 2D; the depth it adds is brilliant. The below isn't the final version; it's a little too like the Yorkshire Dales and not enough of the Forest of Dean, however I have a few more variations on order that should combine to make something 'foresty'. I'm blown away by the difference it makes!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

In other news, I'm also the proud owner of a Silhouette cutter and a big pile of plasticard. It seems I've finally run out of excuses not to building Parkend's buildings... 

Cheers,

Pix

I love the backscene. But it does look like you should have 8Fs toiling up the S&C in the foreground.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Doing your own may be an option if you can find a spot where it's possible to get a panoramic view... which may be tricky in a forest.

It is not absolutely necessary to have a panorama photo in order to make your own backscene. If you can a manage few relatively basic manipulations in Photoshop or Affinity Photo (or similar) then you can make do with just one or two good, high resolution photos.

The backscene below, which is 3.5 metres long for a 4mm layout, was produced using just two photographic elements (outlined) plus a replacement sky.

post-7014-0-25569600-1500662958_thumb.jpg

Various bits were copied with soft-edged selections and modified in shape and/or mirrored to form a completely new scene. Mountains are probably a bit easier to mess around with, but I'm sure something similar could be achieved with other types of landscape.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This might give you some thoughts on the approach to a digital image backscene

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/warley-the-digital-backscene/

I've used the same image (different size) on Shelfie too

post-68-0-71252600-1500669138_thumb.jpg

The key to getting the 'join' right is the colour balance between backscene and the modelling, and ensuring the image is Matt finish. If you get that balance wrong the backscene overpowers the foreground and throws the lighting balance out too.

Brgds

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the comments and feedback. I certainly concur that getting the transition from model to backscene is difficult, particularly trying to match the colours and tones of the 3D modelling with a 2D photograph. I think one the biggest problems, and something particularly valid in 2mm, is what perspective the back scene should be taken from - looking at photographs taken at Parkend from street level, there's not much beyond a few trees on show in the background. If you look at those taken from Parkend station's footbridge, you start to notice a few tree lined hills in the background. When viewing the model, even though the track is around 54'' from the floor, my eye is still a further 16'' above that and if standing 2' back (which is about right for an exhibition) it scales out to being on a 200' tall cherry picker on the Oakwood Brook. Whilst it would be possible to hire a cherry picker and take a panoramic photo, would the results look right when applied to the model as the eye is used to seeing photographs from street level? It's an interesting debate.

Anyway, various experiments have taken place with a couple of off-the-shelf back scenes. One thing that has become apparent is the power the back scene has to move the whole location of the model from one part of the country to another. The second attempt instantly moved the layout from the Yorkshire Dales to East Anglia.

post-6716-0-35587000-1501948376_thumb.jpg 

However it was rapidly binned for being the wrong colour and setting. 

A bit miffed with the lack of colour match, I then tried trimming down the original back scene to make something less mountainous. It's certainly better, but the context just doesn't sit right when comparing it to photos. (I think there's a life lesson here - model somewhere imaginary, at least you can go with what looks goods rather than trying to find something that looks good and accurate!)

post-6716-0-32436700-1501948383_thumb.jpg

After various other attempts, including a few that aren't even worthy of a photograph, I think the best answer is something like Paul's superb example (I d'off my cap Paul to your work there - it flows beautifully with the fore-scene). A relatively muted background to give a tree-line impression gives just the right balance of 'long-distance' view when standing a couple of feet back and looks about right with the eye at rail level. To be honest, it's probably not an accurate representation of either, but is subtle enough to force the eye to look a the layout rather than the backscene. The colour tone and hue isn't right, but I like the effect is has in the below photos. It's the first one that's look Forest of Dean-y. A custom print of something along these lines is probably where I'll end up. 

post-6716-0-47349100-1501948373_thumb.jpg

post-6716-0-51697400-1501948374_thumb.jpg 

PS - My apologies for the delay in coming back. Some friends and I spent a week blasting around Britain by HST.

post-6716-0-72588800-1501948378_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I should model the Highland mainline next, there's certainly no doubting the back scene there!

post-6716-0-97639900-1501948380_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 14

Just spent the morning at Parkend, how does the layout fit in with what is there now?

Excuse my shabby doodling, but the area in red is more-or-less the area covered by my model. The DFR station is on the far right, the spur off to the Marsh Sidings started just before the station throat/footbridge, curved over the road and then passed in front of the Fountain Inn. Sadly, I couldn't quite get the pub on my layout!  

post-6716-0-33910400-1502305572_thumb.jpg

Comparing the below to the above, you can see there's a little compression between the buildings but not by much. 

post-6716-0-85236700-1502305611_thumb.jpg

In non-2mm news, I recently received the below in the post from British Heritage Models - to say I'm impressed would be the understatement of the decade, it's beautiful! The finish, particularly considering it's hand built, has a real depth to it. What I'd give to have a range of mundane 2mm scale cars to a similar standard!

post-6716-0-31625600-1502305559_thumb.jpg

post-6716-0-37947500-1502305563_thumb.jpg

My only gripe is it's not orange... yet.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 6

That dawning disappointment when you realise that someone else has done your idea better than you could! Seriously though, Steve, it's a great layout and I'm following with interest. I guess there's enough Dean Forest to go around...

There's plenty of forest, railways locations not so much.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve, I've only just found this thread. I never realised you had done the Marsh branch. It's just utterly fantastic, my friend, really, really good.

It was an act of almost criminal proportions when the 'powers that be' demolished the old loading docks and 'landscaped' them in the interests of 'Health & Safety'.

And to think that in the early days, the DFR actually parked stock down there. What an interesting bit of railway that used to be.

There's a nice photo in one of John Stretton's books on the DFR, showing a preserved 14XX posing on the short remaining stub of the Marsh branch for a photo event.

Thanks Tim - it's appreciated! I'm starting to realise that the layout may be a little hidden away in this corner of RMweb, I shall start a dedicated thread somewhere to deal with the story so far. The early DFR days are planned to be part of the operating sequence once I've built up the stock, the deliveries of 4150 and 5541 by rail will be something slightly different to the norm. Interestingly, some photos and cinefilm of a Hymek at Parkend came to light last year, drafted in to shuffle some DFR stock around before an open day. It's the only hard proof I've got of a Hymek to the line.

As an aside, greetings from the Highlands.

post-6716-0-72844900-1503314260_thumb.jpeg

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 3

PS:  Enjoy the midges!!

Indeed!  It's high season for them and ideal weather conditions!

Just remember though, in the words of the song :-

'Whenever you kill yin

Another 6 million

Are bound to turn up for the wake!'

Jim

Thanks Tim - it's appreciated! I'm starting to realise that the layout may be a little hidden away in this corner of RMweb, I shall start a dedicated thread somewhere to deal with the story so far. The early DFR days are planned to be part of the operating sequence once I've built up the stock, the deliveries of 4150 and 5541 by rail will be something slightly different to the norm. Interestingly, some photos and cinefilm of a Hymek at Parkend came to light last year, drafted in to shuffle some DFR stock around before an open day. It's the only hard proof I've got of a Hymek to the line.

As an aside, greetings from the Highlands.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Pix

Yes! Finally you found the perfect backscene

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the update @Pixie - you're certainly displaying a wide range of talents there, especially the very neat Japanese NG. And I'm another one who'd be interested to see a bit more of Parkend. 

We were staying with a friend this weekend who has a couple of classic VWs and who frequently tries to persuade me to dip my toe into modern classic car ownership. I have been trying to persuade him that I already have a hobby and don't have room for another, but your post hasn't done my case any favours...