Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

Evening All,

Just though I'd start of a little thread about some of the things I'll be fumbling my way through in this wee little scale. Like many things in life, it's quite an addicitive! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.png

I'm currently working on 25 Stephen Harris 16T minerals - these little kits really are the dogs meatballs and I recommend them to anyone who fancy having a go in 2mm or an etched kit. These have been built more or less as they were designed, although I did etch my own bufferbeams as the the holes for the buffers in the ones supplied are a tad small. It's more out of laziness of opening them up than the kit being flawed though! When I started on these kits, I had a grand plan to work on them in batches to try and have a good turn around and whilst I think it probably has been quicker, I don't know if it's helped my mental health. Soldering up around 100 axle boxes has been an interesting experience! Strange really, as this time last year I was writing a dissertation about why batch production was the bee's knees...

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/687/dscf3063m.jpg

And in true Blue Peter style, here's some I prepared earlier. Seems there's a little bit of a gauge issue...

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2607/dscf2922x.jpg

OMS - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yTRI81tlgqw

Boomshanka,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 11

I don't think I could do it! :lol:

Ball cocks - I bet you the cost of the kit you can.... ;)

G'worn, it's a win-win situation!

Pix

PS - Excellent to meet you at Taunton Nick, must do that pint sometime!

• RMweb Premium

And in true Blue Peter style, here's some I prepared earlier. Seems there's a little bit of a gauge issue...

dscf2922x.jpg

I would suggest that you will have a shorting issue as well tongue.gif

100 axle boxes in 1 night yuck, I know just how my eyes go having done 24 in one go.

Did the 'nine-fiver' enjoy its' outing to Parkend ?

It probably felt a little bit David meeting Goliath...

dscf2968m.jpg

Perhaps I should model a little teeny tiny one on the cab step of my D9555, much like http://xkcd.com/878/. How hard can 1/23104th modelling be? ;)

100 axle boxes in 1 night yuck, I know just how my eyes go having done 24 in one go.

If I'm honest Kris, they were done over about three or four nights. Sadly my turn around time isn't that good, otherwise I'd be matching BR's turnaround time! B)

How did you go about etching the buffer beams?

They were drawn up in AutoCAD then PPD did all the hard work. I have heard of people doing home etching but I think I'll leaving messing around with etching chemicals to the professionals.

Pix

How about a photographic step-by-step Steve?

1 - Layer the body and fold up

2 - Chassis construction

3 - Union of the two

4 - Buffers / brakes / axle boxes

It'll be a great way to kick off the thread and go more into the "nut and bolts" of etched kit construction.

How about a photographic step-by-step Steve?

Excellent idea Brynlar - I'll crack open a bottle of something nice, stick a CD on loud and take some photos tonight...

Pix

Dam you for making me start thinking about 2mm scale again

This time I may well end up doing it....

There's shiney Mk1s and various clay wagons out there....

Though I think Helen will kill me if I bring any more models into the house

Man up. You earn your dollar, you'll spend your dollar. ;)

What layout are the minerals for?

Parkend eventually, although I just enjoy building them to be honest!

Are you Showcasing this year my good man?

Pix

• RMweb Gold

Need to check, want to be but I may be away on a mates stagg that weekend.

If I do make it will prob have a Helen in tow, which should be interesting. Not sure if she is ready to be exposed to DEMU...

Now if I could get a decent 59 and some stone wagons my current layout plan would be rather tasty in 2mm scale...

Lovely stuff Pix, every bit as nice as they are in the flesh!

Now if I could get a decent 59 and some stone wagons my current layout plan would be rather tasty in 2mm scale...

You and me both...boxes would be nice ;)

jo

Pix, they look superb! But I hate threads like this as they make me want to take up two mil' again!

I thought the 2mm Association 's own wagon was nice (I bought an introduction pack at York a year or so back! Nearly slid back! :lol:) but these look even better! Then in this scale sheet metal can't be beaten for representing sheet metal can it?!

Funny that I noticed this post yesterday, I was in the Brunswick in Derby on Thursday night talking with Bryn and the othe DEFine boys about 2FS and marvelling at some of the wonderful stock from Colwyn Bay Goods he had bought along to show us.I must admit that I am in awe of how folks build in this scale. If I was starting again I would be so tempted to have a go, alas I am fully comitted to P4 so this is probably one for the next life. TTFN Chris

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure CJM would sell you a class 59:

http://www.cjmmodels.co.uk/V2-Products/CJM_Class_59.htm

Don't know how you'd go about making it run on 2FS track though.

Stone wagons from Farish, NGS & TPM. Job done.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

If the Two Mil' Assosciation still offer their wheel turning service, if you can get the wheel sets out and sent to them it'll be a piece of p***! :D

You and me both...boxes would be nice ;)

Now you're talking - a 59 in Yeoman livery with a long rake of the O&K boxes would be very cool! It's not a huge help but I've recently been working on etches to produce a much lower geared 37 chassis with Simpson springing, I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be rearranged to a 59 wheelbase. With a little ingenuity and careful drilling, extended axles could be used to give rotating external axleboxes.... there's an idea!

Then in this scale sheet metal can't be beaten for representing sheet metal can it?!

Thanks for the comments James! The sides are certainly the best option for a scale look, being able to ding and dent them as well is very, very cool too!

Pix

With a little ingenuity and careful drilling, extended axles could be used to give rotating external axleboxes.... there's an idea!

I have one end of a bachy 66 in P4 coverted to that arrangement!

Thanks for the comments James! The sides are certainly the best option for a scale look, being able to ding and dent them as well is very, very cool too!

It makes you wonder why no ones ever produced the definitive 16t in 4mm in etched metal...

But pleasse stop posting things like this, I've just managed to get down to just three areas of modelling! :lol:

...well, how I build them anyway, complete with bodging, fudging and swearing!

As promised, here's a quick photo build of a Stephen Harris BR 16t mineral. I hope that these photos will demonstrate how simple these are, if I'm honest building one is easier done than said! In this post I've just covered the building of the body and the axleboxes, if there's demand I'll cover the chassis and all the other bits. I've also avoided mentioning about cleaning up tabs and checking if holes need opening up, I'll leave that down to common sense. Required tools? I'd say a soldering iron, little file, knife and a pair of pliers. Solder and flux of choice too!

To the build...!

Step 1: Obtain essentials. In hindsight, I don't really recommend nettle beer. Tea would have been a better choice, especially if biscuits can be sourced.

71223314.jpg

Step 2: Separate the four 'panels' of the little etch and remove the brakes, coupling hooks, bufferbeams and other details from the panels labelled Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3. Take Layer 2 (Middle right) and tin both sides of the bodywork ribs and springs. On Layer 3 (Foreground) solder a standard 2mm Association bearing cup (So the 'top hat' shape is upside down if looking from the text side of the etch) in the holes in the corners of the panel.

54048811.jpg

Step 3: Using the bearings, line up the three layers. Move the soldering iron over each rib and spring to laminate the layers together. Watch the bodywork appear from nowhere. Sip beer.

86672774.jpg

Step 4: Now have a look at the springs and axleboxes. Fold the 'packing piece' (attached to the bottom of the axlebox - visible in above photo) up and then fold the 'top detail layer over' (Located to the right of the axlebox in the above photograph). Snip off from etched sandwhich and put somewhere safe.

58684956.jpg

Step 5: Remove main body from the three layers. Snip the floor off the forth panel and tin one side - there is a choice of bottom doors or without, I've decided to use the side with.

27211102.jpg

Step 6: Fold up the four walls of the body and run a small bead of solder down each corner. Fold over the four 'wings' (Visible above on the ends) and solder on. Drop the floor in and heat from below to laminate. If you want to represent a beaten example, it's worth bulging out the sides now with a pencil or similar.

42487791.jpg

...and that's it, body done! I'm adament that anyone can build one of the little 16T's and the chassis is just as straight forward. Timewise, I'd finished the body before the CD had got to the last song, and that includes taking photos and hunting for my 2mm bearings. If anyone would be interested in having a go, let me know and I can probably supply the bits and pieces needed.

If there's interest, I'll cover the chassis in the next few days. Feedbacks appreciated as ever!

Boomshanka,

Pix

• Like 8

I have one end of a bachy 66 in P4 coverted to that arrangement!

B)

Any chance of a video?

It makes you wonder why no ones ever produced the definitive 16t in 4mm in etched metal...

Hope craigwelsh is reading this... ;)

Pix