Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

I apologise in advance for making the place look scruffy. ;)

Adrian Colenutt, exhibition manager at the excellent Uckfield show, told us that one visitor was saying nice things on his way out about a layout. When Adrian asked him to confirm which layout he was refering to he said the little colliery with the attractive blonde [Kim] and the scruffy bloke. Nuff said......... :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Evening all,

The home straight! Here's the final few bits to add to the wagon before it's fully finished. Tools are the same as before, and the time is about half an hour or so. No prepartory consumables this time, although a good blast of Muse at Glastonbury 2004 does help things along (

- B) B) B)) . Some of the bits and pieces are getting very small here, but they're not more tricky to use than anything before and there is spares of some just in case it goes wrong.

So, here goes....

Step 1: Snip the lever guard off the etch and fold up using the same rule as before (fold lines on inside of bend). Place into the solebar located to the right of the wagon, when viewed side on. Add a blob of solder from behind the solebar to hold in place.

87362405.jpg

Step 2: Snip the brake lever off the etch. Add a bend in the right hand end where it flattens out. Tin the rear of the pivot end (on the left) and both sides on the right hand side. Slide lever into the lever gaurd you attached in Step 1. Heat the pivot end to laminate it to the V hanger. Heat the right hand end. Fold the small strengthener (Attached to the right hand side of the right hand W iron) to meet the lever guard, then solder.

28717282.jpg

Step 3: Collect the bufferbeams and coupling hooks from the safe storage place. Using two pins (Peco track pins are a good fit!), place them through the buffer holes and align with main wagon body. Heat with soldering iron to laminate. Remove pins. Carefully open up buffer holes with a 0.7mm drill, then do the smame with a 0.8mm one. Add buffers and coupling hooks, solder from behind.

33143150.jpg

Step 4: Insert wheels.

97542025.jpg

Step 5: Done, finito, finished. Couplers of choice can be fitted (DGs are popular in 2mm, although 3-links are cool for fixed rakes B)) and painting/weathering. For transfers, I can recommend Fox and CCT (I've not seen the Modelmaster ones from the NGS, but I've joined today so I'll report back!).

42532741.jpg

So that's it, I really hope this has been of us and tempted some people to have a go. For those people, here's some useful links:

http://2mm.org.uk/ - The 2mm Association. Self explanitory really! The magazine and Yearbook alone are worth the membership fee. Access to the Association shops and products are worth their weight in gold! The wagon shop (http://2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2) has a massive range of useful goodies.

http://2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/stephenharris/index.htm - Stephen Harris' kits. The 16T mineral can be seen about three quarters of the way down the page, along with prices and ordering details. The kits are designed for Stephen's own use really, rather than a commercial venture, sowhat's in stock can depend on what he's been building! Very decent chap though and if youdo give him a call, mention Steve Nicholls (my alterego ;) ) sent you.

Feedbacks always appreciated and if there's anything that isn't clear I'll try grabbing some more photos, let me know.

Happy modelling!

Pix

• Like 10

You're not helping Pix!!!!!

I think i'm going to start a petition to get you banned from RMWeb!

I must not get tempted by 2mmfs!!!!

I must not get tempt.....................................

:D

• Like 2

Glad it's of use gents!

I think i'm going to start a petition to get you banned from RMWeb!

Get me onto Coldplay or why Katy Perry is snuggling up to Russell Brand each night and not moi.... I'm sure I can produce a rant with enough swearing to get thrown out then. ;)

Pix

Get me onto Coldplay or why Katy Perry is snuggling up to Russell Brand each night and not moi.... I'm sure I can produce a rant with enough swearing to get thrown out then. ;)

Pix

Now I understand the pm! :D

Top bit of step by step writing there Pix, probably worth getting a copy in that there Showcase thing.

Pix

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Easy young man...

Top how-to as well Pix, I shall have to find the box with mine in :)

Whats' next?

Not sure Mike - I've built all the stock I need for Parkend really (apart from Bryn's sexy Herrings which I'm waiting for) but I've got a stash of other bits to keep me entertained for a while. Wagonwise, there's a big pile of Bernard Taylor's STEEL AB bodies and 2mm Association air braked chassis to model the Ravenscraig to Margam flow or Stephen's Iron Ore tipplers to model one of the Llanwern flows. I should probably finish off my class 14 chassis etches too so I've got something to move these about!

Decisions, decisions!

Pix

Whatever you build Pix, keep us updated please.

I know blow by blow accounts of builds aren't everybody's cup of tea but it is interesting to see how things are done in this scale and I think that what you've shown us so far has helped de-mystify 2mm modelling. Well to me anyway...

Whatever you build Pix, keep us updated please.

I know blow by blow accounts of builds aren't everybody's cup of tea but it is interesting to see how things are done in this scale and I think that what you've shown us so far has helped de-mystify 2mm modelling. Well to me anyway...

AGREED!!

• Like 1

I could bring mine if it'd be of use?

Pix

Blimey, I go away for a day and you finish the wagon!

Thanks for the offer of the RSU - I should be OK, and have my trusty Antex to fall back on if I can't get the RSU.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Notice anything special about this little mineral?

dscf3252i.jpg

How about now?!

dscf3253x.jpg

Whilst browing the internet last weekend I found a Polish company called MikroAntriebe that offers all kinds of teeny, tiny bits an pieces that look useful for small models. As well as M0.1 and M0.2 gears and 3.2mm diameter motors, were these little 1:15 ratio gearboxes. I'm yet to give them a full test but they look like they could have potential for underfloor DMU motorisation, small shunters or perhaps motorised wagons if modelling fly or horse shunting. B)

I quite fancy trying to do a little 2mm Ruston 88DS (Perhaps like Reading Signal Works 20 - http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=22413) which I think would be possible. I'm still musing ideas but I tihnk i'm favouring introducing a third gearbox to put the motor vertically in the cab. This would mean I could fill the entire bonnet with lead for traction and no doubt hide the motor with a tubby driver. Using two sets of gearboxes would mean a 1:225 reduction but if used with a Nigel Lawton micromotor would give a scale top speed of 14mph.

dscf3255e.jpg

Will it work? Is it practical? Not sure, but I fancy giving it a go. B)

OMS -

Pix

• Like 1

Hi Pix.

That last post certianly starts the imagination going! Thats very impressive indeed!

I took a look at those little gearboxes when I was getting bits for the narrow gauge shunter that has popped up in my recent postings but decided to just use the gears. I have a kit for on of those little shunters you mentioned somewhere and it might finally be worth giving it a go!

Keep the posts comming though, they are very insperational.

Missy :D

I took a look at those little gearboxes when I was getting bits for the narrow gauge shunter that has popped up in my recent postings but decided to just use the gears. I have a kit for on of those little shunters you mentioned somewhere and it might finally be worth giving it a go!

Thanks Missy! I'd be keen to see that little shunter of yours, from the photos it looks very impressive. Will you be at RailEx at all? Also be interested to see the 88DS kit you mention, I didn't know anyone had done one in 2mm! BHE have done the 48DS but if they've done the 88DS then it could save me some work. :yes:

Possibilities for horse and rope shunting in 2mm?

A self propelled wagon is certainly possible... not sure how you'd do the horse though! ;)

There was me looking at the pictures thinking that you were motorising the wagon.

Sorry Kris, I guess they were a little misleading. It was more to show that the gearboxes could be hidden by the W irons of the smallest wagons, could be useful if we can figure out how to make that 2mm horse though. ;)

Pix

A self propelled wagon is certainly possible... not sure how you'd do the horse though! ;)

Pix

I've seen a larger scale wagon propelled horse (and a man too!) that looked ok but you'd be better off sticking to capstan shunting..

I must order some bits of them to put in a firebox to control the reverser and one in the tender to control the AJ.

Thanks Missy! I'd be keen to see that little shunter of yours, from the photos it looks very impressive. Will you be at RailEx at all? Also be interested to see the 88DS kit you mention, I didn't know anyone had done one in 2mm! BHE have done the 48DS but if they've done the 88DS then it could save me some work. :yes:

Pix

AFAIK, BH Enterprises only do the etches for the 48DS, and I've not seen any on their stand for a while. There is a good booklet (with scale drawings) on the 48DS and 88DS locos, published by the Moseley Railway Trust.

I have toyed with the idea of trying a standard gauge Motor Rail shunter in 2mm scale - similar to one of these.

Andy

I wonder if I can fit them in my 4mm Vauxhall Viva... :scratchhead:

I think they'd drop in no problem, sounds like you've got a scheme Bernard! ;) Any news on those buffers btw?

AFAIK, BH Enterprises only do the etches for the 48DS, and I've not seen any on their stand for a while. There is a good booklet (with scale drawings) on the 48DS and 88DS locos, published by the Moseley Railway Trust.

That'd make sense Andy - I've certainly not heard of an 88 in 2mm before. I've got that Moseley book, very useful stuff. I'm slowly transfering their drawing into AutoCAD, got far enough last night to check that my ideal will all fit. Good news is it does!

I have toyed with the idea of trying a standard gauge Motor Rail shunter in 2mm scale - similar to one of these.

I'd be very interested to see it if you pull it off!

Pix

• 3 weeks later...