Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

Mike Edge keeps threatening to do a kit for an 88DS in 4mm. If he does perhaps he could be persuaded to do a 2mm etch?

It's certainly an idea Paul - Mike's done quite a few 2mm shoot downs and I've got a couple stashed away for a rainy day. If I'm honest though I would rather design the 88DS from scratch with all the fittings and bits for the drive designed into the chassis. Certainly be interested to see his when it's ready though!

Pix

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

A little while back I was fudging my way through converting some drawings into 2mm CAD models, using a calculator and the pack of a fag packet manually working out each measurement. After a couple of mess ups, I decided to create the attached Excel sheet to take all the strain out of it and having found it on my hard disk last night I thought I would share it as it could be useful to others. It should be fairly self explanitory, just key in the values and Excel will convert the real world imperial measurements to 2mm scale metric ones. I've also included a comparison between N gauge and 2mm finescale in case anyone is fussed about how overscale RTR releases are.

Hopefully going down to 1/16" (0.01mm in 2mm/ft) and rounding to a 100th of a milimeter should be accurate enough for most 2mm'ers. The truly barking brave can feel free to play with it if they prefer. ;)

Hope this is of interest!

Pix

2mmCalculator.xls

• 4 months later...

Take your basic cauldron - if you haven't got one, don't worry, pop down to Woolworths and grab a metal compost bin. They're not that expensive and work jsut as well. Combine the disgarded models of the last modelling season, soda crystals and the blood of a virgin. Do not breathe in the vapours or you will see the devil.

haloween.jpg

Renewed winter modelling mojo will result.

(Something of substance soon, promise!)

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry.....

A bit of clarity...

Tit = Tolerance In Thanks

What I said was.....

You edited it already!

Never mind.

Save the contents of your Cauldron for paint stripper....

The longer you save it - the stronger it is!

Works wonders on enamal paints once it's more than 60 days old.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
Take your basic cauldron - if you haven't got one, don't worry, pop down to Woolworths and grab a metal compost bin. They're not that expensive and work jsut as well. Combine the disgarded models of the last modelling season, soda crystals and the blood of a virgin. Do not breathe in the vapours or you will see the devil.

With you so far Pix but where do I find a virgin around here?

Jerry

• 2 months later...

Happy 2012 everyone!

My internet persona has been a bit quiet recently. Starting a new job has meant that more of my nine-to-five is sat in front of a computer screen, so motivating myself to spend my free time in front of one has proved a bit tricky. This is a good thing mind, and with a fresh burst of energy, I have managed to clear off a lot of long-term workbench residents in the new found free time.

The first subjects of the purge were the batch of 25 16T minerals that at the start of this thread. They're now been finished, painted, weathered and are just awaiting the final push of transfers and 3-link couplings to be added. They've also been loaded with some real coal chips, fixed with Klear. The floog polish has left the loads everso slightly shiney which I was originally going to tone down, but it looks quite effective so I'm considering leaving it in place.

iphonemabob027.jpg

iphonemabob031.jpg

They aren't all rust buckets, there is a couple of relatively clean ones in there too...

iphonemabob030.jpg

I was quite pleased with how these came out and with renewed drive I started on another batch of 16 wagons. The photo below shows them in the current state, I'm just waiting for more buffers to arrive in the association shop then it's full steam ahead for the finish line. One of the real appeals of 2mm to me is the ability to model scale trains in not too huge spaces and the idea of a grotty GFYE 37 with 60 or so unfitted, loose coupled minerals is really appealing. I just need to befriend someone with a big 2mm layout to run them all on!

iphonemabob010.jpg

A little mini project was a collection of Dapol BR Grain wagons that were cheaply picked up in some very dubious private owner liveries. Aside from a repaint and wheel change they're as Dapol intended and I'm fair happy with how they've come out. It'd be nice to eventually etch a replacement chassis, but in the mean time, they're a nice placeholder.

iphonemabob057.jpg

Much like the minerals though, I must sort out some transfers...!

iphonemabob050.jpg

My biggest problem with modelling is that I find a lot appealing, and with rubbish self control, I seem to end up starting projects that have no relevence my immediate layout plans. The Grain wagons above are classic examples of 'Ohh Shiney!' modelling. I realise that this is a hobby and we don't really need a reason for wanting to build something but it's still nice to think that eventually these rush of blood to the head models will be useful. One day, once I've won the lottery or married the daughter of a billionaire, I'd love to model aCArdiff-area lump of the SWML in the early 70s so my aim to produce models that would be useful for that scenario. The coke wagons below are a good example of models that fall into this category, being the start of my own little model of the Llantrisant to Pensenett flow. The first 9 are now at the stage of lettering and weathering. Another 10 or so should follow in the new year, however I'm waiting on some etches bits to convert them into the version with extension screens on the bottom on the hopper.

iphonemabob011.jpg

Another quickie Winter project was this rake of 8 PTA iron ore tippers. The bodies are from Bernard Taylor's excellent plasitc kit, more or less built up as the instruction dictate apart form the removal of the corner strengthening pillars. The BSC Axlmotion bogies are from the 2mm shop and really finish the models off nicely. These are how primed to check for any iffy areas and should be ready for paint in the next week or two.

These impressive wagons were a big part of the South Wales scene however they didn't appear until 1974, several years after my main area of interest. Tests were certainly being carried out in '71/'72 in preperation for them, including a very impressive triple-headed train of 27x 100-ton bogie tankers. My feable excuse for them is that a few were borrowed from the Consett flow for some tests with newly converted Test Car 5. In reality, Test Car 1 would have been used for this kind of work, but I've taken the easy option. ;-)

iphonemabob013.jpg

I've also had a tinker with a pair of the NGS-commissioned Dapol snowploughs. The models aren't bad but they suffer the same issues their 4mm brother so. The biggest area for concern is the concave join between the vertical 'blade' and the angled 'base' of the plough - a bit of an annoying issue but nothing a few layers of filler can't sort out. Shape-wise these are nearly there, but I need to look into some of the finer details for the pair that were based at Cardiff Canton in my time frame. Also need to think about what to do about regauging - Association axles drops in, but I'd rather etch my own inner chassis with pin-point bearings.

iphonemabob023.jpg

Warley saw the acquisiation of one of Farish's rather tasty 101 DMU which Iv'e started to convert into their Lightweight predecessors. To make things a little more interesting, these will become DB975018 and DB975019 which were acquired by Derby as plasma torch units in a bid to increase railhead adheshion. Work so far has seen the addition of the bufferbeam fairings, MU cables and the centre headlights. Also, there's been the removal of the bodyside vents (a post-refurb addition) and the sliming down of the front window frames. As it's party piece, I've etched the plasma torch framing and fitted it with fibre optics to replicate the blue-arcing look the unit gave off. Annoyingly I forgot to get a photo of this, if anyones interested I'll grab one! The project has stalled a little as I've found a photo of the unit which suggest the second large window in the passenger compartment was knocked into a small one - can anyone confirm?

iphonemabob017.jpg

I've also decided to take on my fear of trackwork. In October I was lucky enough to have the oppourtunity to operate Stephen Harris' excellent Ynyswarredd Sidings. Whilst the layout is a joy to look at and screams South Wales, the operation is like nothing else I've ever experienced. It's silky smooth and everything is so sure footed, in a whole day of exhibition operation not a single item derailed or stalled whilst I was playing. Well, not at the cause of the layout or locos anyway, the squidgy organic bit behind the controls here caused a couple...

Seeing this level of near perfection does make you think about things though, and certainly gives you something to aim for. I had previously built some 2mm pointwork and although it worked, it looked and rode decidedly Heath Robinson compared to Stephen's stuff. Feeling inspired, I've spend the last couple of weeks building a series of points to work out the best way to do things. Below shows attempt number eight and is essentially the Versaline system with Easitrack for the plain track. Whilst I can see the appeal of Easitrack, I like the 'jiggleability' of soldered pointwork. I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere now and it's quite rewarding to watch a wagon glide through the V. Progress, but more practise is called for...

iphonemabob063.jpg

And finally a railway project in 1:1 scale! I've dabbled in buying Railwayana for a little while and I've always said I'd stick to good quality, small items. Quite what possessed me to buy a bent, eight-foot long lump of rusting steel is beyond me. I'm a sucker for the runt of the litter I guess or perhaps it was a sherbert or two too many one evening. To loosely tie this into the 2mm theme, I am indebted to Missy for the use of her driving skills and van to collect it from Sussex and the grand plan is to fully restore it to it's former glory. Cheers Julia! So far it's been flattened out, sworn at, had all the loose enamel removed, the bare metal treated and primed. Next stage it so mount the thing on a decent back board and begin filling and releveling it all, before starting to try and match the vitreous enamel. Then lots of filling, painting, varnishing, polishing and tea-drinking. It's quite rewarding seeing it slowly get there - just polishing it up did a world of good, taking it from a faded beige (like the area towards the bottom of the photo) to a rich broen (like the furtherst corner away from the photo).

iphonemabob001.jpg

Phew, that was quite a marathon post in the end! I hope the above is of interest to someone and also show that I haven't completely disappeared. I'm hoping this new found productivness can continue well into 2012 so I can get some track down and some things running. Seeing all of the work in one place makes the last 10 weeks feel quite productive!

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66NJH3m-0zs

Cheers,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 9

Blimey - you have been busy! Makes my solitary Christmas 'palbrick' seem rather insignificant!

Some nice things there, although some a bit too modern for my tastes ;). Good to see the (in)famous Reading General sign at last.

Andy

There's some lovely stuff in there Pix!

The tipplers look very nice indeed :)

Starting a new job has meant that more of my nine-to-five is sat in front of a computer screen, so motivating myself to spend my free time in front of one has proved a bit tricky.

Nothing good comes from working in an office in front of a computer, get out while you can! Ideally into a job where you can take modelling with you! :D

Hello Pix :)

As the others have said, that is some very impressive progress for a Christmas break. I am really looking forward to seeing those mineral wagons, of course they would be more than welcome on Highclere (if it ever gets to the stage they can be run!) I unfortunately am in the same camp as Andy with my progress but hopefully will get a blog together sometime soon.

I enjoyed the day at the Bluebell and I was glad to help. Here are a couple of photos taken on the day...

post-2065-0-42937300-1325503304.jpg

post-2065-0-89301800-1325503305.jpg

Keep the progress comming though, is the point for that layout you mentioned?

M :)

P.S.

Can you teach me to weather like that please? Those wagons look amazing!

Edited by -missy-

Another quickie Winter project was this rake of 8 PTA iron ore tippers. The bodies are from Bernard Taylor's excellent plasitc kit, more or less built up as the instruction dictate apart form the removal of the corner strengthening pillars.

Oh dear.. shame, as they're part of the real thing, I'm afraid! Sorry Pix!