Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Do they sleep stood up?

Mike.

Not as far as I know but they can often be seen having a lie down. Greyhounds are among the laziest of dogs being sprinters. The ones I know are not like collies which are always on the go.

Don

Find a stuffed on and scan it instead!

Scan one asleep?

Ah, both excellent points but not helped by the fact I don't currently own greyhound, dead nor alive. I'm certainly not in a position to take on a live one (sadly) and I think a stuffed one would give me the creeps after a time. Maybe I should place an advert in the local paper?

WANTED: Loan of one stuffed greyhound for laser scanning and Jetsons-style miniaturisation. Would also consider narcoleptic, living Greyhound. Call 07791 123456 after 6pm.

I'm sure such as an advert would make someone smile at least.

If you search on eBay for "greyhound", under "Collectables", you'll find quite a few realistic figurines that could be 3D scanned.

Actually, that's a good idea. Cheers!

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, both excellent points but not helped by the fact I don't currently own greyhound, dead nor alive. I'm certainly not in a position to take on a live one (sadly) and I think a stuffed one would give me the creeps after a time. Maybe I should place an advert in the local paper?

WANTED: Loan of one stuffed greyhound for laser scanning and Jetsons-style miniaturisation. Would also consider narcoleptic, living Greyhound. Call 07791 123456 after 6pm.

I'm sure such as an advert would make someone smile at least.

Actually, that's a good idea. Cheers!

Pix

Thats it this post has gone to the dogs...

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

The registration year ran from 1st August to 31st July.  The first year ran from January to July, which is why there were always relatively few A reg vehicles around.

Actually 'A'.  'B' & 'C' reg were pure 'year' letters. 'D' was cut short because car dealers suggested changing the letter in August would give them a boost at a quiet time of the year for new car sales. 'A' reg was rare because a lot of areas were busy finishing off the older style numbers.

Brilliant work Pix! Your stock looks excellent as ever, and I have to say the scenic setting looks bang on. I'd love to see some shots of the layout as whole next time you've got it set up...what's the chances?

Hello all,

Whilst in a DMU mood; route-learner DB975023 has been finished. This got everywhere on the WR it seems. This started out as a Dapol model of DB975023, before being stripped to lose Dapol's weird shade of BR blue and repainting into the same livery and number. There's something about the shape of the Dapol Bubble Car that just doesn't quite sit right but I can't put my finger on it.

D8305FD9-E4A9-4B82-9A58-C21BE19D260A_zps

Comparing this to a photo of the real thing e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_122#/media/File:55006_at_Bewdley.JPG I'd say that the front windows are too small/too low on the Dapol model. They should start well above and finish below the level of the main side windows. The glazing could surely benefit from some LazerGlaze. The window frames are also far too prominent.

The bogies and perhaps the rest of the underframe stick out too far. The bogies are a result of Dapol's method of pickups, and would not be easy to correct.

Not that Dapol are alone in getting the positioning of windows awry. The Farish 101 is also well out in that regard, although its less noticeable in all-blue than in B/G.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

I'd love to see some shots of the layout as whole next time you've got it set up...what's the chances?

Not a problem Steve - the layout is always up! That said; it's in a thing room so it's quite hard to get far enough back to get a decent shot.

The below two show a fairly basic overview - the viewing window is fairly small to try and focus the eye on it. The layout it still a little barren at the moment, I'm slowly adding lots of weeds and details. Please excuse the paper buildings too; I really need to build the real thing!

523B6FEE-2044-470F-8EA8-DD23A53C07FE_zps

F5AB40E1-1A8E-439B-968F-BD5A077A667C_zps

5FCD61B4-0407-4FC7-9CBD-2DAE56765B9B_zps

A slightly different angle!

337286A0-92BA-4F43-BBF8-9EBC8F234910_zps

The below screen grab from Google Earth should put it into context of the real place. The above photograph was taken from the right hand side of the Google Earth grab; you can still make out the scar in the trees where the headshunt went. The U-shipped bungalow is still there, as is the other three cottages. There's a few new-builds there now too.

E30FA09E-3E03-4EC5-8863-363503A17B16_zps

Great job on the TBSL - much neater than mine!

We'll have to agree to disagree there Simon - you've done a lovely job and tackled a much hard livery! Mine is missing the window frames, door hinges, handles...

I agree about the BSYP livery, I have a Western earmarked for that treatment.

D1047 in BSYP is on my list too Jerry; we'll have to compare To-Do lists sometime! With the last few Warships almost finished, I was hoping 2017 would be the Year of the Western with a mainline run behind D1015 booked and the mojo raging. However, Champion has writing off its B-engine might be a bad omen for the initiative! I did get my prototype Western up and running over Christmas however.

32286BC0-C4D7-4AD6-861D-E6A3720DE2FA_zps

Given the car content of this thread, there's no prizes for which one this will be. Just got to work out the rest of 'em, all were picked up as non-runners/faulty/deformed over the last few years.

83B29FE8-0A7A-4648-BDB3-D9C26B122E7E_zps

Prefer airships, myself.

Will we see one on Copenhagen Fields? I'd certainly like to visit the Zeppelin Museum at Friedrichshafen one day; it's a form of transport I'll probably never sample.

Comparing this to a photo of the real thing e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_122#/media/File:55006_at_Bewdley.JPG I'd say that the front windows are too small/too low on the Dapol model. They should start well above and finish below the level of the main side windows. The glazing could surely benefit from some LazerGlaze. The window frames are also far too prominent.

The bogies and perhaps the rest of the underframe stick out too far. The bogies are a result of Dapol's method of pickups, and would not be easy to correct.

I think you're right on the issues raised Chris. I wonder if Dapol's profile bulges out a little too much as the bottom; it's quite a subtle shape really. It's strange how some models just don't quite nail it whilst others capture the look perfectly - I've got a Bachmann 4mm SECR C that looks so right from all angles, whilst the Dapol 121 is a runt of the litter.

After the 25/3, the 116/117 family is the biggest 2mm gap for me. Perhaps Bachmann will scale down their 4mm in the depths of time.

BTW - Is there any development on the resin Pullman coaches? I'm still keen for a couple of it goes ahead.

Cheers,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Will we see one on Copenhagen Fields?

There is an airship flying over CF already!

Edit: Well there used to be. Looking at more recent photos of Copenhagen Fields it seems to have flown away. Hopefully it didn't crash?

David

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

R33 has it's bags inflated and is well, thank you David. It only flies on the layout at exhibitions. I have some other models of Graf Zeppelin which flew over London a number of times and R101, which only made a couple of flights over the city. To complete the set I have a partially built full size (4' long) 1/144 WW1 airship of the type that disrupted a Model Railway Club meeting in London on October 13th 1916. If we get to come to Germany again with CF, I will finish the model and hang it on the front!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4

Not a problem Steve - the layout is always up! That said; it's in a thing room so it's quite hard to get far enough back to get a decent shot.

The below two show a fairly basic overview - the viewing window is fairly small to try and focus the eye on it. The layout it still a little barren at the moment, I'm slowly adding lots of weeds and details. Please excuse the paper buildings too; I really need to build the real thing!

523B6FEE-2044-470F-8EA8-DD23A53C07FE_zps

F5AB40E1-1A8E-439B-968F-BD5A077A667C_zps

5FCD61B4-0407-4FC7-9CBD-2DAE56765B9B_zps

A slightly different angle!

337286A0-92BA-4F43-BBF8-9EBC8F234910_zps

The below screen grab from Google Earth should put it into context of the real place. The above photograph was taken from the right hand side of the Google Earth grab; you can still make out the scar in the trees where the headshunt went. The U-shipped bungalow is still there, as is the other three cottages. There's a few new-builds there now too.

E30FA09E-3E03-4EC5-8863-363503A17B16_zps

We'll have to agree to disagree there Simon - you've done a lovely job and tackled a much hard livery! Mine is missing the window frames, door hinges, handles...

D1047 in BSYP is on my list too Jerry; we'll have to compare To-Do lists sometime! With the last few Warships almost finished, I was hoping 2017 would be the Year of the Western with a mainline run behind D1015 booked and the mojo raging. However, Champion has writing off its B-engine might be a bad omen for the initiative! I did get my prototype Western up and running over Christmas however.

32286BC0-C4D7-4AD6-861D-E6A3720DE2FA_zps

Given the car content of this thread, there's no prizes for which one this will be. Just got to work out the rest of 'em, all were picked up as non-runners/faulty/deformed over the last few years.

83B29FE8-0A7A-4648-BDB3-D9C26B122E7E_zps

Will we see one on Copenhagen Fields? I'd certainly like to visit the Zeppelin Museum at Friedrichshafen one day; it's a form of transport I'll probably never sample.

I think you're right on the issues raised Chris. I wonder if Dapol's profile bulges out a little too much as the bottom; it's quite a subtle shape really. It's strange how some models just don't quite nail it whilst others capture the look perfectly - I've got a Bachmann 4mm SECR C that looks so right from all angles, whilst the Dapol 121 is a runt of the litter.

After the 25/3, the 116/117 family is the biggest 2mm gap for me. Perhaps Bachmann will scale down their 4mm in the depths of time.

BTW - Is there any development on the resin Pullman coaches? I'm still keen for a couple of it goes ahead.

Cheers,

Pix

I had to research this DMU side profile when I did some 4mm etches of Classes 115/116/117 for Mostyn. It's pretty difficult to measure even when you are stood right next to the real thing. Perhaps I could do a negative etch to put up against the Dapol side. Or perhaps not.

I had forgotten about the Pullmans. I realised there are in fact a number of different end profiles for the various types and my 3D CAD skills need to be upgraded with compund curves for that.

Chris

Such a great layout. Really captures the forest! Don't forget to let me know if it ever heads out near it's natural environment, it's only down the road from me...

Also: look at all those 37s!

Edited by jonas

Hmm... maybe the Association should introduce an annual gloat box trophy?

The Round Tuit Award?

Regards, Andy

It's a pity they are all Westerns. If they were Deltics, we could take over Copenhagen Fields for a day for a BR Blue session. Have to remove that airship though.

But as it is, we need a model of Paddington to run them on. Or at least Old Oak Common.

Chris

• Like 1