Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

Steady on! I thought that was against 2mm scale rules? :P

Top stuff though, really does look the part!

Tom.

I resemble that remark. I always finish things, just rarely in the same order I start them!! :scratchhead:

Jerry

ps see you saturday morning Tom

I'm not really sure why modelled this unit - I think it's just because I wanted to. If I ever get round to building a SWML layout then I can use some dubious excuse that it was used in the Valleys to improve adhesion. In reality, it seemed to have spent its entire time on the Woodhead route until it became a linear propulsion test bed in '72.
How comes today's innovative and dynamic private operators never think of things like plasma torches and linear induction motors, eh? ;)

Nice work! :good:

Thanks for the comments gents! I've been having a bit of a dig today on the National Archives listings today and there seems to be a good few papers published on the Plasma Torch project. I've got a couple f days holiday to take from work so I feel a trip to Kew maybe in order.

Another couple of recent completed vehicles are the rake of 11 PTAs from Bernard's very nice plastic kits. More or less built to the instructions (apart from some numpty decided to remove the corner posts in the first few... ho hum!) but with the 2mm Association bogies added. Just need to add the ladders and hand wheels. Again, they're unjustifiable really for a 1971 South Wales mainline layout but I've worked on the principle Llanwern borrowed a set from Scunthorpe to run some trials before ordering there's. In reality, 21x 100t tanks were used for the trials in '71 with three EE3s up front - a couple of nice photos appeared of these not long ago!

b520c16c177a897c8aa269ca3ec35042.jpg

5a22e175c3ae1c5168b3199bf50ef309.jpg

...and just to really use up my modellers license, here's Test Car 5 which is more or less out the box with a few tweaks. I guess a vac. braked vehicle really would have no place in such a situation, but it was an easy excuse to use a model. Converted in 1972, it should really sparkly clean but I didn't quite look right. Looking a RTC photos, ex-GW autocoach Test Car 1 would be more appropriate. Perhaps a job for the future.

aa4ec27f31203334b83ae3202564ae99.jpg

Best start building something actually useful!

Pix

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the words gents!

Good man Pix. We are at Southampton at the end of January with the colliery - bring it along!!

Never done Southampton before so I'll try to make it along - are you in need of any operators?

Well you're not getting another one, so there.

Oh. :( Without wishing Bachmann bad luck, I'm hoping that the yellow ended one may end up in bargains bins as I fancy a couple more for butchering. In my time frame the 6-car sets lived connected-up doing Bristol runs so it's not strictly right for South Wales (again!) but it'd be nice to do a partner for this one. It'd also be nice to get hold of another set and an extra pair of Parlour First as I've got a cunning plan to bona fide WR 8 car set - Parlour seconds would be the hardest but I think it can be done with some etches, resin and sweaing.

Pix

• Like 1

No - put it back in the original box & I'm sure no-one will notice... :whistle:

With a carefully worded eBay listing they might even avoid appearing in a certain eBay thread in another section of the forum...

... I think it can be done with some etches, resin and sweaing.

Should that typo have read sweating or swearing? ;)

• Like 1

Now that's looking very nice indeed! I notice that a certain Liverpudlian supplier of model railways has 'more than 10' in stock at the moment if you need more!

Cheers Tom! It's a lot of train for £210 but I've spent more than enough this month already, especially as the head gasket desired to let go on my car a fortnight ago. Maybe Santa is listening.

Tonight I've been playing with the latest from the NGS. Really beautiful stand alone model, and an easily 2mm-able! Nice break from lots of masking tape and enamel paint!

6bccbc55192f45f334922f20387632bc.jpg

Pix

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Tom! It's a lot of train for £210 but I've spent more than enough this month already, especially as the head gasket desired to let go on my car a fortnight ago. Maybe Santa is listening.

Tonight I've been playing with the latest from the NGS. Really beautiful stand alone model, and an easily 2mm-able! Nice break from lots of masking tape and enamel paint!

Pix

It is a little stunner. I bought the lined LMS one, thought it would be nice to run with any guest locos that turn up at shows - DG one end, buckeye at the other! Having seen your beautifully weathered one I may have to get a blue grey one too.

Jerry

• Like 1

I should never be left alone with new toys, especially something as beautiful as this was.

4ae1c064bb568a55811f82fa603488e3.jpg

Having got to this stage, I've discovered no one seems to do the 'Pullman' lettering. Where's that nice man from Railtec?!

Pix

Absolutely stunning!

I've always wondered why people are so fascinated by the Blue Pullman, but then I remember watching the Silver Pullman's when I was a kid so I'm probably predisposed to the WR version.

I did wonder when GraFar released this model if they would eventually produce a silver version, if they ever do then I might stump up the the required £210.

Excellent work on your part, gives the rest of us something to aspire to

Rgds,

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

I should never be left alone with new toys, especially something as beautiful as this was.

4ae1c064bb568a55811f82fa603488e3.jpg

Having got to this stage, I've discovered no one seems to do the 'Pullman' lettering. Where's that nice man from Railtec?!

Pix

You have no shame, Sir. I should have you horse-whipped and black-balled from the Association. The biggest single atrocity that was perpetrated on the Blue Pullman was the all-yellow end which was then compounded by the addition of that ghastly reversed blue and grey abomination.

The '70s were indeed the decade that style forgot and I should know 'cos I lived through them and had my pair of maroon flared cords and flowered shirt to prove it. And don't turn all rivet counter by claiming that this was done in the late-60s; it was done in the spirit of and merely anticipated the 1970s.

Yours in despair

A disillusioned 2 miller

(As usual nice work btw but you should still be horse whipped . . . )

• Like 2

Seems I'm still just about in the fold Dave - a nice Yearbook and magazine turned up the other day! Perhaps I'm on probation? And as for the 70's being a style disaster, I've always pictured as a massive hangover from the swinging 60's. ;)

Couple more bit-further-but-not-quite-there projects up tonight in the form of two Warships... at last, something almost useful for a South Wales scenario! First up, 821 in final style, fairly clean blue. Greyhound was ex-works from Swindon in August '71 so i've gone for neat looking with just a little grime to take the edge off. Annoyingly, when I started this a year or so back I had a bit of a rush of blood to the head with the pipe work and fitted a few inappropriate bits which I'll have to lop off, likewise the white diamonds need to go. Also need to finish the bogies (speedo, ligthening holes in the wheels, etc.) and some final livery embellishments.

0161e7ce323b2642cfe7a0be0b910a67.jpg

Second up is 806, essentially in the same state although made from one of the resin bodies shown in an earlier thread. Last repainted in March '71, it had gained a fair patina of dirt by the summer. Same work required as 821- plus buffers and clipping the body to the chassis properly. Head code reflects the 13:20 Barry - Temple Mills banana train which seems to have been a fairly regular Warship turn.

f87eafdc37866e509b741fc856ec3947.jpg

Cheers,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 12