Lights & DCC

Flakmunky

Hi,

I'm relatively new to DCC and have a question regarding the lights on my N gauge locos fitted with cheapy Bachmann 6 pin 2 function decoders driven by an NCE Power Cab. With the lights on, if power is lost momentarily then the lights will go off. When power is restored the loco will start running again but the lights will not come back on. I have to switch the lights off and back on again for them to work. My question is whether this is normal, whether it is a product of an entry level chip or whether there is a setting I can adjust to avoid this. It is particularly noticeable on the dummy car of the 108...

Many Thanks,

Tim

No, this is not normal

Sounds like the Bachman 36-558 decoder is not inserted correctly into the PCB boards as I had a similar problem with a BachFar Voyager

I solved this by not fully inserting the decoder, and repeated this same installation process for the 36-558 decoder

With the Class 108, does it happen at both ends, or just one?

If it happens at both ends, then it is most likely your DCC system

• 3 weeks later...

Mjkerr,

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the answer.

It happens with all of my locos and I have tried as you suggested but to no avail. I am using an NCE Power Cab.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

Tim;

The default on the PowerCab is to not refresh the function commands. This means that the command gets sent once when you select it. If the power then drops out, the loco will not get a command to turn the function (lights) on again, hence the need to turn the function off and on again.

You can tell the PowerCab to automatically refresh function commands - see page 59 of the manual (Setup Command Station - Function Refresh).

Adrian

Archived