Short Circuit in Hornby 50

Victor Meldrew

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

I recently put a decoder (Lenz Silver) in a Hornby 50018, but when the loco goes on the track the circuit breaker immediately sees a 'short'. Reversing the plug and the loco works (backwards obviously with no lights). Thinking the decoder may be at fault, I put in a ZTC 4007 with the same problems (shorting or going backwards).

Both decoders are working OK, so what is wrong with the 50?

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

I recently put a decoder (Lenz Silver) in a Hornby 50018, but when the loco goes on the track the circuit breaker immediately sees a 'short'. Reversing the plug and the loco works (backwards obviously with no lights). Thinking the decoder may be at fault, I put in a ZTC 4007 with the same problems (shorting or going backwards).

Both decoders are working OK, so what is wrong with the 50?

Hi

As two different decoders are causing the same problem, I would check....

When the 8 pin plug is pushed into the socket, ensure that the pins aren't protruding through the underside of the socket and one or more is touching the metal chassis. A piece of PVC insulating tape placed under the socket will help if this is the problem?

The only other thing I can think of is the locos circuit board might be defective?

Have you tried the loco on dc with the dc blanking plug fitted?

• RMweb Gold

Hi

As two different decoders are causing the same problem, I would check....

When the 8 pin plug is pushed into the socket, ensure that the pins aren't protruding through the underside of the socket and one or more is touching the metal chassis. A piece of PVC insulating tape placed under the socket will help if this is the problem?

The only other thing I can think of is the locos circuit board might be defective?

Have you tried the loco on dc with the dc blanking plug fitted?

Is this one of the early 50s that had a fault in the circuit board installation? I seem to recall that replacement boards were available.

Is this one of the early 50s that had a fault in the circuit board installation? I seem to recall that replacement boards were available.

Very likely as the original boards would exhibit just this symptom and only your system cutting out prevents the decoder frying.

The problem was that the Hornby board has a bridge rectifier to produce power for the lights. The negative of this rectifier was connected to the socket where the pin goes for the blue wire. So when you plug the decoder in the correct way round the blue wire which is the positive of the decoder rectifier is connected directly to the negative of the on board rectifier. Result short circuit through two diodes in series across the rails.

Reversing the plug buts the positive (blue) pin in a spare position hence no short.

Really you want to junk that whole Hornby board, its there to create constant lighting on DC and is completely unnecessary for DCC, but that then gives you another problem in that Hornby connected all the diode lighting with common negative when DCC needs common positive so you then have to modify all the lighting boards.

If you don't want to go down that path ask Hornby for a replacement board.

Regards

Thanks for the responses guys,

The loco is fine on DC and I checked for contact with the protruding pins, however when I had the continuity tester on the socket without the decoder in, there is continuity between the red and blue pins! This has confirmed the nagging doubt I had about a fault in the board.

I also have a 50045 that looks to be the same.

I'll get on to Hornby about it.

Hornby were very goodwhen I contacted them on this problem. Sent me a new board AND decoder. Very nice. Board is easy to change and I found the Hornby decoder, which is still in the 50, gives very good performance. Especially slow running.

Cheers, Jerry

Archived