The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Having worked out that the front of the tender is completely wrong, I went about adding the 'V' shaped frontage. I think the kit design might be suitable for the tenders with the flared top, but later tenders seem to be similar to the front of the tender on the early V2s. So now I'm just putting together an order to DMR for the remaining components. Maybe I should have bought one of their tenders in the first place!

Scratch brake gear with Griffin stretchers have been added, I'll show a pic of the tender chassis soon...

post-6972-0-74846400-1311079770_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm queitly keeping an eye on the K3 which looks fantastic by the way. It's a shame that the tender seems to have carried on in the same vain as the loco !! Will the K3 be ready for Manchester ? Attached is a picture of a DMR tender Ibought to run with a Meadly Models D49, it went together really well and with extra detail could make a nice model. Iwish the same could be said for the loco ! It's now right at the back of the que and I'm hoping MOK introduce a D49 kit so I can keep this one on the difficult draw !

ATB Mick

post-7580-0-45328200-1311093809_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mick -

I'm not sure if the K3 will be at Manchester, Heyside and outside jobs are eating up my time. If it rains a lot it might be! I've just finished the JLTRT 4F, which will be there...

Well, you are making progress with the D49, it is a case of how much you replace, I think you should persevere with it! With the K3, I treat every part with suspicion...

Who knows, as soon as the K3 and D49 are finished, a kit could appear, but you can't be sure of that.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Tony

• 2 months later...

After being tied up with Fencing work and Heyside for the past few months, now the Manchester show is over it is back to engine building at last.

The K3 is pretty well finished and is now awaiting lining etc, so it is back to the Fairburn. If the K3 was an assisted scratch build, so is the Fairburn chassis. The kit although fits together perfectly as it comes is woefully inaccurate, so after obtaining some Standard tank castings - I have set to modifying them by using Lambo's already partially completed chassis as a guide. It always helps when someone else has done the thinking part of the excercise. So here are some almost ready castings with his chassis in the background. So with any luck we'll have these ready for the next Heyside show at Aylesbury in 2013:-

post-6972-0-46498800-1317988228_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

At last it is finished - apart from testing and fitting the cab interior. It's been a fair trial, with much scratchbuilding and modification of 80000 tank parts. But it actually looks like a Fairburn!

post-6972-0-75694300-1321908562_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

The K3 has now departed for lining now, and I won't see it until March, but here it is, after being sprayed black. I decided in the end my time would be better spent building stuff ( which I enjoy more ) than learning to line out, as my time, like most folks, is pretty limited. Sometimes you just have to be realistic about what can be acheived in the time.

post-6972-0-27963400-1323348197_thumb.jpg

I'm now on to MMP tank wagons, but there is a well documented build in the gallery on http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/

so I'll just post up when they are built, there are a lot of bits, but the kits fit together beatifully, I'm really enjoying the build.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

The K3 arrived back after being lined out by Paul Moore and here is a grab shot. I decided my time was better spent building other stuff. He's done a cracking job as usual, but I will be adding a layer of grime as she doesn't look quite right so clean. It's remarkable, when you think an engine is nearly finished how much work there is to complete it to everyday condition.

The tank wagons have been sprayed as it is just about warm enough now in the workshop...

post-6972-0-80646800-1332171655_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Meanwhile ( in a Clarkson voice ) I have been building the excellent MOK 8F - progress so far.

The cab has more working components than the rest of the loco! Cinder guards, doors and flip up seats!

post-6972-0-85222200-1332417617_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This kit fits together very well, the few changes I have made are:-

to add Hobby Horse Cinder Guards

Use Griffin boiler band cleats

Drill out the boiler washout plugs and use square n/s bar

Add Warren Shepherd boiler washout plugs.

Next step is to weather the frames before putting the wheels on and assembling the motion.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now it looks like an 8F - a most enjoyable kit build. This is one of those kits that goes together very well - not without a few things to fiddle with, but excellently designed. It would be interesting to see the revised version. Having the Wild Swan LMS Locomotive Profile was a major aid to construction. My next project will be a 2P and getting information on that will be interesting...

post-6972-0-50661600-1335890221_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't resist a face off between Richard Lamberts and my 8Fs, if only I had time to build 2!

post-6972-0-48943400-1336672715_thumb.jpg

The MOK LMS tender running gear is comprehensive and includes all the water pick gear. It's not the tidiest job I've done, but the real thing must have been covered in crud, so I've not been to meticulous. It's just been washed, so there are water droplets in evidence. There is still some trimming and tidying to do and the cross beams have to come out with th einner chassis, so they are held in place with 14BA screws..

post-6972-0-40293900-1336672837_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Tony,

Very nice indeed, I am trying to raid the piggy bank at the moment as I have heard there will not be anymore in the pipeline once the 25 in stock have gone :O . And the MOK 8f has always been at the top of my list so I'd better dig deep, by the way will your good self and Richard be attending Reading on Saturday ? or are you just going to bu**er off down the pub like last year :scratchhead: .

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn -

no won't be at Reading, I'm afraid - heading out to Bavaria this weekend, 1st stop ( well nearly! ) the railway museum at Nordlingen...

If you do get an 8F let me know and I'll drop you some notes on a couiple of things you might want to change..

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the offer regarding the info it's most appreicated, it will be a western region version when it does happen :mail: , anyway have a good time on your travels and see you at Telford.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi

The 8F looks superb, Over on Railnuts which is now on Facebook Fred Lewis has just weathered a pair them. well worth a look.

Martyn will you put the extra pipe work on the smoke box for the WR vacuum?

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The latest project to hit the workbench is a David Andrews 2P. Not without it's minor faults but an enjoyable build. Progress has been good, until someone suggested inside working motion....

post-6972-0-26858400-1355336807_thumb.jpg

The tender was pretty straight forward.

post-6972-0-64775500-1355336866_thumb.jpg

And so was the crank axle with careful preparation, the tricky bit is getting the valve gear to work freely. It's not my tidiest work, but it is pretty well unseen, I'm more interested in it functioning to imaprt motion to the visible components.

post-6972-0-81254900-1355336920.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

At last it is finished - apart from testing and fitting the cab interior. It's been a fair trial, with much scratchbuilding and modification of 80000 tank parts. But it actually looks like a Fairburn!

post-6972-0-75694300-1321908562_thumb.jpg

That Fairburn looks amazing! Great work

I've got one of those fairburn kits, and conversations with Dikitri a while back about what parts he used for the cylinders/etc. He was still working out the list, but he did tell me he used the Sanspareil trailing bogie kit.

You wouldn't happen to have a list of all the replacement parts you had to buy, would you? I want to do similar work on my fairburn...

Thanx!

Mike

Thanks Mike, since upgrading the computer I think I have lost the list, but for starters:-

MOK/Iain Young ( Sans Pareil )

Cylinders, valve chests, motion bracket, reverser bracket, expansion link, combination lever, standard 5 bogie ( shortened )

Laurie Griffin

Crab pony truck, lamp irons, water fillers, sieves, front steps, tank stays, silvertown lubricators, safety valves, sand pipe traps, drain cocks, crosshead/slidebars - mostly from the Ivatt 2

HobbyHorse

Injectors ( I think they are Duchess! )

JLTRT

Buffers

CPL

couplings

Premier

Connecting rods

A lot of the bits were probably modified as the Fairburn is not the same as any other loco...

That all probably comes close to the original cost of the kit!

There is more photos on my Derby Line Thread on Western Thunder.

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/the-derby-line.1128/

Regards

Tony

..... the crank axle with careful preparation, the tricky bit is getting the valve gear to work freely. It's not my tidiest work, but it is pretty well unseen, I'm more interested in it functioning to imaprt motion to the visible components.

post-6972-0-81254900-1355336920.jpg

What a timely photo! Just completed one for a Finney Collett Goods!

• 2 weeks later...

A rainy day on call is always a good opportunity to make progress. I botched the connecting rods by making them to short, so after getting replacements, they ar enow fitted.. Most of the inside motion cannot be seen, but is is nice to see the crossheads working. So todays effort has been those seemingly endless minor tasks to complete a chassis, working motion with no tight spots, pick ups not dragging. Coupling rods prepared. Reverse curve test to get it to this stage:-

post-6972-0-58497400-1356520614_thumb.jpg 

• Like 4