The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Thanks Mick -

I also found that the half-etch circle on the front of the cab to locate the boiler is not central!

Boiler band dimensions to the centre of each, from the cab front, bearing in mind that the kit boiler is slightly too long:-

Kit 22,51.5,74.5,104,134

Drw 20,51,74.5,104.5,131

The band is Slaters Ref.1220 1/16"

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I wish it was a JLTRT or MOK kit!

I like to make the cylinders and motion bracket into a removable unit. The kit of course is designed to have the frames and cylinders as one, so this has called for more fabrication and scratch building. A passable unit has been made up with much reference to the drawings to get the position right and the incline of the cylinders correct.

A someway rudimentry effort using section of brass and scrap etch, but most of it won't be seen...

post-6972-0-77085800-1298401899_thumb.jpg

...and mounted in position. Looks like a model made from pieces of scrap!

post-6972-0-77561200-1298401945_thumb.jpg

Now it's starting to look like a K3, with a test fit of the wheels. Despite the shortcoming sof the etchings, the whitemetal castings are actually quite tidy - even though I don't like whitemetal. The kit seems to have been packed with random amounts of them, 14 tender axlebox ones for instance! 7 loco springs! Lets hope there are none missing...

The cylinder wrappers were full thickness brass, so I made some new ones from some 12 thou scrap etch...I'd have needed an industrial press to shape the originals.

I had to put the buffers on, the etched holes were incorrectly located at the top of the beam, not the bottom - so 2 eleongated holes later....

post-6972-0-59773100-1298639889_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's now starting to look like a K3 and I always think they look at their best with a going away shot. I managed to make up the valve gear in the kit with a few minor modifications. the union links were far too long, so I found a shorter pair on a spare fret. The valve rod passes through brass tube so that it actually works, as I like my engines to be in gear. The Ragstone crossheads and slidebars look just the part.

I'm now working on finishing the body before returning to the chassis.

I then need to consider scratchbuilding the brake gear to replace the white metal stuff - yes Dikitriki - I might have changed my mind. I'm also considering modifying a Hobbyhorse cam to create the syncopated exhaust beat in conjuction with a sound chip.

Going away shot in the new conservatory, at last one out multi domestic jobs is finished! The cab roof is just resting in position.

post-6972-0-36738400-1301652057_thumb.jpg

The front end is coming together, scratchbuilt front platform, Griffin lamp irons, Slaters buffers, the oilers are San Pareil. That grab handle will need adjusting and plenty of cleaning up to do.

post-6972-0-01715300-1301652394_thumb.jpg

Looking very nice !

Does Andy at Ragstone have a decent list of slidebar and crosshead castings ?

I need to get some for my K2, but Gladiator are telling me that I need to wait 3 months while they relocate their workshops..!!

JB.

I've only just managed to catch up with progress Tony and I have to agree with everyone else it looks fantastic so far. What tender are you fitting, will it be a flared top or a flat sided group standard tender ??

ATB Mick

Thanks Mick -

It is the straight sided tender that comes with the kit, which 61974 ( Colwick ) had, there will be a few pitfalls I'm sure.

For a start the tender toolboxes are entirely wrong, if any one knows where I can get some suitable ones from, I would be grateful!

Now the weather has improved, I spent the weekend catching up on spraying: 1 loco, 2 coaches and 10 wagons...so the K3 will be on back burner whilst I finish off all those painting jobs..

Regards

Tony

Hi JB -

Yes, Andy has several listed:

76001/76002 Peppercorn slidebar and crosshead

76081/76082 Gresley slidebar and crosshead ( the ones I used on the K3 )

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I contacted Andy, and got his list sent through, but unfortunately the K2 crosshead and slidebars are very different to the K3 versions...

The K2 has above and below crosshead - slidebars.. I think I shall have to wait out the 3 months.. huh.gif

JB.

I'm ashamed to say as an LNE man I missed that JB ! How abou Laurie Griffin - after quick look at one of my Ivatts, it looks like the Ivatt one could be adapted with some filing.. but you might prefer to wait - the perfect excuse to start another project in the interim!

Regards

Tony

but you might prefer to wait - the perfect excuse to start another project in the interim!

Don't joke..!!

I have 3 engines on the go already, and I just got myself a cheap Alan Gibson 4f... Have you built one of these kits ? It would be interesting to hear any initial thoughts before I dive in guns blazing..

JB.

Hi JB

- my experience of Gibson kits are limited to 4mm scale - the Black 5 and J15. I'd put it this way - they are engineers kits, but that should not be an obstacle to man of your skills, I particularly enjoyed the J15. My 4F is JLTRT, which is fine, but in retrospect, I think I would have preferred a brass boiler...

Regards

Tony

Tony,

Not sure about the tool boxes, the DMR Group Standard tender is ok and I know he sells a lot of fittings seperate. I've heard that the Finney tender is one of the best around, but thats only what i've heard. Bioth worth a try I think??

JB,

Not sure about the 4f but I built a Gibson 3f tank about fifteen years ago and I liked it. All slot and tab and I thought went together well. the only thing I didn't like is the kits talks about cutting out the cab floor to fit a motor, so from this I assume it is very old. I think if you treat the kit as a good starting point to add further detail you'll get a cracking little engine,

ATB Mick

• 2 weeks later...

The good weather has meant I can get outside and finish off some spray jobs, its just so much easier outside in the sunshine. So about 2 hours work saw 1 loco, 2 carriages, 8 wagons, 3 brake vans and 3 containers sprayed up! The interim has been spent applying transfers and touching in paintwork. One of the 16 items of rolling stock I am trying to finish off at the moment is this Sidlines LMS D1905 brake, just awaiting final tidying and corridor connections. This and a porthole corridor 3rd make up a 4 coach set for Heyside/Derby Line - Coachman - look away now!

post-6972-0-08100100-1303900478_thumb.jpg

Then its time for a prolonged weathering session.

After more electroncs for Heyside, I'll return to the K3....

Tony

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

You're a man after my own heart, I like to batch paint in the warm weather, also I get my bench cleaned off of all the building clutter and get on with the transfers and weathering. Cracking job on the LMS coach by the way, is the lining transfer or bow pen ?? Looking forward to seeing the weathering bit and of course the K3,

ATB Mick

The Sideline coach looks a picture Tony.

Like you I have been painting the backlog, but not at your rate of knots. I have to say that's quite an impressive couple of hours work.

I have a couple of period III's and an inspection saloon in the pile, I hope they look as good as yours when I get to them.

This and a porthole corridor 3rd make up a 4 coach set for Heyside/Derby Line - Coachman - look away now!

Very nice Tony, well up to Coachman's standards IMO. The only difference is, he would probably knocked that out while he was waiting for the kettle to boil!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

People have been asking about the K3, and after a lull in work I began on detailing the body, working from front to back. Using a number of Ragstone components, dart, snifter, sandbox lids. I had to scratch the sliding cab window fo the leading one and then I got to thinking about the cab doors. So I really need to build the tender ( which I have started ) to ensure they fit ok. I will add some pics of that build in due course. Then it will be back to the loco chasiis to finish that off.

Here is the loco so far:-

post-6972-0-87588400-1309529039_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Work progresses apace on the tender, which so far appears reasonably accurate, apart from the coal space, but with a full load of coal I am not going to bother with that. The kit ( as in many cases ) depicts the engine and tender in early condition, so a new coal space divider has been made from scrap etch. It is higher and 1' 11" further forward than the original ( RCTS Green Books ) , which straddled the pick up dome. Fortunatly I was able to copy the unbuilt Finney one I have in stock. Ah - there's another problem, the pick up dome casting has a rounded edge on the top, it should be sharp edge, like the top of a tin...

I - and the K3 will be at the Guild Area 4 meet at Gresford near Wrexham demonstrating this Sunday July 10th, come and say hello.

post-6972-0-49589900-1310031469_thumb.jpg