dibateg

The Derby Line, David Andrews LNER O1

7 minutes ago, jazz said:

I would have many more after over 50 years modelling but I do have a big sort out every two years or so. Working on the theory if it's been sat there too long it goes in the bin.

You're not doing it properly!

Mike.

I've lived in Yorkshire far too long to be in the habit of throwing good stuff in the bin.....

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've lived in Yorkshire far too long to be in the habit of throwing good stuff in the bin.....

You're getting there Mike!

Mike.

12 years of O gauge kit building generates plenty of spare castings and etchings! I look out at shows for useful castings and keep a stock.

P1050427.JPG.b6dd7021b0e5775acf312469eb84c415.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thanks Ian - one of my top qualities apparently when I was in full time employment!

Despite the awful weather, I seem to be making slow progress. There were one or two items that I wanted to improve on. It took a days work to fit out the frames with the wheels and pick ups. The wheels are on and off getting the right side control washers on the wheels. Making sure the rods don't hit the brake mounts etc. I added some cranks below the rear sandboxes for the sanding mechanism. The slide bar support bracket was insubstantial. It was a hefty casting on the original. So I added some thin brass strip to represent that tapered flange and drilled the slidebar support webs to accept some lengths of wire to represent the retaining bolts. The drop link had a projection on it typical of some LNER locos, but the O1 doesn't have that so it was filed off. The return cranks are nice castings, thick enough to be tapped 10BA, and they tighten up against 2 brass top hats also tapped. To me, the front spectacles don't look quite right, they have quite a sad expression. In the prototype photos, they are shallower and a little more mean looking! I also added that support bracket above the rear sandbox.

P1050432.JPG.6e6ad34025d2d021b8995d2e728305d6.JPG

P1050429.JPG.ef31147c074606a1310cf42a240ad03e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

David that is a masterpiece to be proud off. Beautiful work.

Edited by jazz

Don't give David the credit Ken, Its built by Tony!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, dibateg said:

Thanks Ian - one of my top qualities apparently when I was in full time employment!

Despite the awful weather, I seem to be making slow progress. There were one or two items that I wanted to improve on. It took a days work to fit out the frames with the wheels and pick ups. The wheels are on and off getting the right side control washers on the wheels. Making sure the rods don't hit the brake mounts etc. I added some cranks below the rear sandboxes for the sanding mechanism. The slide bar support bracket was insubstantial. It was a hefty casting on the original. So I added some thin brass strip to represent that tapered flange and drilled the slidebar support webs to accept some lengths of wire to represent the retaining bolts. The drop link had a projection on it typical of some LNER locos, but the O1 doesn't have that so it was filed off. The return cranks are nice castings, thick enough to be tapped 10BA, and they tighten up against 2 brass top hats also tapped. To me, the front spectacles don't look quite right, they have quite a sad expression. In the prototype photos, they are shallower and a little more mean looking! I also added that support bracket above the rear sandbox.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/P1050432.JPG.6e6ad34025d2d021b8995d2e728305d6.JPG

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/P1050429.JPG.ef31147c074606a1310cf42a240ad03e.JPG

And the Americans would leave it like this so you could see it was brass . Still marvel at how clean all the solder joints are. 

Richard