The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Dave - you are most welcome - what an excellent model, it really looks the part. Are you sure it's not O gauge!

Thanks for your kind comments.

I've followed this thread and you previous efforts with a sense of admiration but without making any comments. Although I've never considered 7 mm, I do admire the level of detail you're able to achieve. It seems like there are some rather good quality parts available to replace less accurate kit parts, e.g. the valve-gear and motion brackets, etc. Those sort of quality parts just don't appear so readily available in 4 mm, although there are some very high quality kits for sellected prototypes.

My 9F started out as a Model Loco (DJH under a different guise) Kit, but the chassis incorporated Alan Gibson milled mainframes and coupling rods (correct axle centres), parts of the kit valve-gear and various scratch-built parts to beef up the motion brackets, slide-bar supports, etc. and to sort out the peculiar brake hanger arrangement (hangers inboard of the wheels but blocks obviously in-line with the treads). The pony truck is home made and has correctly functioning coil sprung axleboxes and side control. Never again!

Looking forward to following the rest of your construction and hopefully, further locos.

Regards,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave -

So after a trip to the Harz and some onsite work I'm back at the workbench. It's strange - none of the location holes for some of the parts seem to be in the right place on this kit. The regulator crank position had to be moved up slightly on the boss and the midway crank was lowered to get the rods looking right relative to the handrail. I junked the white metal pipes in the kit and made mine up from copper wire - it's far easier. 92204 also has the ATC conduit along the running plate.

post-6972-0-83723900-1424986068_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

So, I spent a day finishing off the body detail and added the WR platform over the reverser tunnel and the a representation of the hefty bracket behind the buffers. This was made from square brass tube, otherwise it looked too empty there. Next job is to weather and re-assemble the chassis, and we could be on the home straight! Hurrah!

post-6972-0-07420200-1425369384_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Whilst I'm waiting for various bits of paint to dry, I thought I'd get the back heads done. Most of the castings are brass apart from one, which disintegrated when I tried to drill it for pipes. Why was that one not brass as well?. I ended up scratching a representation, which should only be dimly visible in the dark confines of the cab. I still need to add the continuous blowdown valve, but that's not in the kit. Mr Ragstone?

post-6972-0-08539900-1425581866_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Were all the 9Fs fitted with the continuous blow down valve?

Using between 1 -1 1/2 gallons of boiling water per min. that's a lot of water and coal. If the area does not require the use of the valve.

Hard water areas yes. Soft water areas no.

I'd say that it's all down to you if you fit it or not.

OzzyO.

Those backheads do look good, though, don't they? There's something about a steam loco backhead, be it large, or small, something that says, "I'm powerful, but if you aren't careful with me, I could be dangerous too......"

I've had a look through my BR photos but cab shots are a bit thin on the ground.

A Brit cab this looks to be early days as it has no AWS fittings, also no blow down valve, but it has the fitting for it,

post-8920-0-98515000-1425632072.jpg

A Crosti (is that spelt right?) 9F on building, no AWS but it does have the blow down valve, No9

post-8920-0-45551300-1425632115_thumb.jpg

70051 in the 1950s not sure about the AWS, but you can make out the blow down valve in the far cab window,

post-8920-0-22623700-1425632928_thumb.jpg

92220 in preservation, it looks like it has steam heat fitted, in another photo it looks like it has the old G.W.R. ATC fitted. More important it has a blow down valve fitted,

post-8920-0-57325700-1425632432_thumb.jpg

OzzyO. 

Edited by ozzyo

I'm intrigued to know what the fitting with 3 pipes, just to the right of the steam brake valve (possibly part No 10 on the Crosti photo) is? It doesn't appear on any other standard locos. I had wondered if it was to do with the steam brake cylinder lubrication. 9F's had two brake cylinders, so I assumed thay needed an extra lubricator compared with locos with just one cylinder. However, since the oil is fed into the operating steam supply, it wouldn't make any difference how many brake cylinders there are and the Crosti photo shows the normal lubricator at the base of the drivers pedestal.

Perhaps the mystery fitting is something specific to Crosti boiler locos?

Dave.

At last ready for a track test. Those injector pipes need a shove to click them into place under the footplate. I couldn't get a BR type lubricator which has the level gauge at the side, so an LMS one will have to do. Them some final tidying and detailing, paint and out the door!

post-6972-0-30854200-1426234580_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-63751400-1426234613_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

David Hill - yes it will be weathered, limescale streaks have been requested by the client..

Peter Cross - thanks for your kind comments, I never think I am that good, but I get great satisfaction from being told I have inspired others..

I've not reported much of late as it's been continuing work on the 9Fs, with one nearly finished - photos to follow soon.

In the meantime I've managed to get an article in the current MRJ, one of my long time ambitions, you saw them here first folks!:-

post-6972-0-42449700-1427972517_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

Meanwhile ( sadly no longer in a Clarkson voice ) I've been changing the top feed on this Royal Scot and putting a Griffin one on. A temporary heat shield was made up, so that the casting could be heated up with my new Nimrod torch. It dropped off ok, without too much collateral damage. The loco is due to be repainted by Warren Heywood.

post-6972-0-92124000-1427972713_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A visit to Hollowbeck shed finds a few shunters in residence, see more at the Cleethorpes show May 9/10. The houses in the background are actually on another layout, but they give that north east sort of feel.. At least I managed to get some sort of depth of field across the room.

post-6972-0-76738100-1428923832_thumb.jpg

• Like 4