The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Thanks guys - the figures were almost straight from the printer.. I was restrained on the weathering as it was for a client - but thanks for the feedback.

Next - on the same theme.... a Crostie 9F...

Your a brave man doing one of them!! Best of luck with it, who's kit are you going for? If it's the Severn you should have a good chance. 

Ex-works 9F...lovely. Used to see them on Doncaster Carr loco after going through the plant...I think. I have memories of seeing shiny ones, did Doncaster share in their overhaul?

I think they went to Darlington for works visits Jeff.

Whilst paint is drying on 9Fs I thought I do some micro surgery and knock up some shunt signals for Barmouth Junction.

post-6972-0-10897100-1431673533.jpg

• Like 10

Continuing the signalling theme, I've been adding the rodding on Heyside put in the cranks to take the run under the branch. Since this photo, I've been adding the facing point lock. I did take a later shot, but shaky hands and a cameraphone didn't work..

post-6972-0-86945800-1431849548_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Continuing the signalling theme, I've been adding the rodding on Heyside put in the cranks to take the run under the branch. Since this photo, I've been adding the facing point lock. I did take a later shot, but shaky hands and a cameraphone didn't work..

I feel your pain, having to lay all the point rodding on my layout.

It's always fulfilling to give finished locos a run, so last nights running session on Heyside featured four 2-10-0s. 92069 sits in the bay, the crew have gone off for a brew...

post-6972-0-90243600-1432883823_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

A test fit of me and me after being scanned by Modelu  and printed in 3D on the footplate of 92031. Don't worry my railway will not entirely be populated by me...

post-6972-0-13995500-1432916330_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Simon.

For a couple of days I have gone back to 4mm scale for this commission of a Southwark Bridge model LSWR 40ton ballast hopper. I'm finding it all very small...

post-6972-0-56401600-1433004645_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

The loss of our other cat has rather taken the wind out of my sails for a while. Nutmeg has been my office companion for a long time and consistently tried to steal my chair, only to be turfed off each time. She never gave up though.

Life goes on, so that, with time away has slowed the Southwark Bridge Wagons, but I'm on the last two now. LSWR engineers wagons were painted a convenient colour of Halfords red primer.

post-6972-0-94534300-1436087897_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-48705000-1436087944_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go! ( in a Clarkson voice ) . At last back to 7mm scale and a start on the tender. The tender etches are marked as 'Acorn Jim Harris' . I had already been forewarned of the provenance of some of this kit. As long as we know ahead what is to come, we can plan for it. Interestingly the whole of the chassis etch when laid out is not square - no it's not the camera this time! I suspect it was hand drawn and it's just the waste fret that is not square. One of Jim's techniques was to mirror the etchings, so rivets for the tender sides had to be carefully counted (!) as they are not the same on drivers and fireman's sides...

post-6972-0-25121200-1437387734_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-62433500-1437387768_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-63036500-1437387801_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 2

....The etches are marked as 'Acorn Jim Harris' ...... I suspect it was hand drawn and it's just the waste fret that is not square. One of Jim's techniques was to mirror the etchings, so rivets for the tender sides had to be carefully counted (!) as they are not the same on drivers and fireman's sides...

As far as I understand it, Jim designed his kits so that he could build them quickly himself. He actually says as much in the instructions for his "Britannia" kit.

It suggests in some ways that you have to "think like Jim" when you're building them.

I remember that Jazz built one of these recently and it turned into a good looking loco - or at least as good as these can ever be. I even bought one myself!

What condition is this going to be in - apart from absolutely filthy: original or rebuilt?

Really looking forward to this build.

Thanks Guys -

I'm hoping that it will be required to be very dirty - but I will need to consult my client.. I'll make recommendations!

I don't seem to be able to mix text and pictures when I post, not sure what I'm doing wrong, so a post for each picture or so..

Firstly to rivet and form the sides using my home made bending bars, one edge of which is rounded. So the sides were fed in a mill and a half at a time working down from the top, after marking on the insides the extent of the bend. Quite a lot of force was needed as this is full thickness etch. I didn't use the etched bulkheads as formers as they appeared to have 'shoulders'. See lower photo. A rule - don't trust a kit to be right!

post-6972-0-51088500-1437461670_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-64748400-1437461698_thumb.jpg