65179's workbench

• RMweb Premium

When I saw the topic title it did strike me that you were being rather brave having 2mm in the garden.

The work that you have done on the loco has totally transformed it.

Very nice. The chassis is such a fantastic improvement, the tender has really come out well too. Echoing my request from Alex's thread, any chance of a shot of the mechanism inside?

• RMweb Gold

C'mon Simon - admit that this is really O gauge ... :rolleyes:

The others have already used up all the superlatives.

David

Its even nicer in the flesh - and is definately 2FS! Simon brought the loco to the members day in Taunton recently and it was quickly given a test run on the colliery. As others have said a realy beautiful piece of work.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. The photos (as requested by Bryn) show what a bit of painting and weathering can hide: my sometimes less than neat soldering.

post-3982-0-85300100-1304964903_thumb.jpg

post-3982-0-19584300-1304964909_thumb.jpg

The chassis is a typical Nigel Hunt offering with L shaped frame spacers attached to the frames via thin PCB. The drive is simply a Faulhaber 1016 in the tender connected via a universal joint to a 38:1 wormset in the loco (The drawbar has a crude kink added as the original straight drawbar on the 3500 gallon tender etch was designed to go with the Peco Jubilee which has deeper frames at the rear). Wherever possible castings from the 2mm Association Black 5 kit are used (e.g. crosshead/piston assembly and universal joint housings) which really saves a lot of work.

The shots here show the body with some strips of lead crudely fitted into the body where the Farish chassis weight was. The finished model has lead filling this area and some of the spaces in the chassis as well.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Simon, thank you!

As much as I like looking at a finished model, the workings and mechanisms are the real reason I love this scale. I could get lost for hours watching a well made chassis running around. Almost hypnotising. I'm very impressed with your build and finally understand what an L shaped frame looks like and how it is used. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting (and taking) these Captain. It's nice to have a record of Hawkins token appearance on an actual layout so far. One day it might actually have a train to pull!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments Anglian and millerhillboy.

If you fancy a go at one yourselves look here:

http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/nigelhunt.htm

Nigel Hunt is in the process of doing a Royal Scot replacement chassis as well.

Even for those sticking with N gauge it is surprising what a difference replacing the moulded on smokebox door handles and the footsteps (which also allows you to reshape the front bufferbeam) with etched equivalents makes to the look of what is already a good model.

Simon

• 2 years later...

Hi I've just been looking at this I've been wanting to build something in 2mm for some time so I'm ordering the tender kit to start with and will be ordering the loco chassis when I've built the tender

Lovely loco

John

Can you tell me what paints you used

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi I've just been looking at this I've been wanting to build something in 2mm for some time so I'm ordering the tender kit to start with and will be ordering the loco chassis when I've built the tender

Lovely loco

John

Thanks

Hi John,

I think the loco is in its is in its Bachmann factory finish. Simon Grand, who built  it, and his brother Andy will be helping Kim and I out next weekend, 19/20, at Cardiff and will almost certainly bring something 'inappropriate' along to run - including the Jubilee.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John.  The loco body is as Jerry says just in weathered Bachmann finish.  The 3500 gallon tender is I think painted with Precision Paints BR loco green (dull) which is a reasonable match for the Bachmann finish with a couple of layers of varnish.  Lining and emblems are both Fox.  The lining needs toning down as in unweathered state the difference between the Bachmann and Fox lining is fairly evident.

Nigel's really helpful if you need any assistance with his kits, but feel free to post on here if you have any queries.

Simon

Edited by 65179

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

As I seem to be getting a bit of modelling done at the moment I thought I'd revive this topic.

A bit more progress made on my B16:

BarnfieldB16a.jpg.0a34102fa4065be84667a681b7aec8eb.jpg

Nearly there now.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

A few details for anyone with one of these shot down Steve Barnfield etches in their gloat box:

Wheels, muffs, gears (old 38:1 wormset) and handrail knob etch from the 2mm Scale Association

Smokebox door, smokebox door handles and tender axleboxes from Fence Houses Model Foundry

Chimney is an N Brass 7F 0-8-0 one with reprofiled bottom and brass tube capuchon, dome is an N Brass 'LMS small' one reprofiled to fit the boiler. Whistle is BH Enterprises and Ross Pops and LNER tank filler are N Brass.

Tender toolboxes, and brake and scoop standards are scratchbuilt. Mikemeg and Rob Pulham's build threads for the 4mm and 7mm versions were really helpful for these bits.

If I was to build another I'd make sure I drilled out the lifting holes in the front frame extensions and drilled handrail etc holes in the cab and the vac pipe hole in the tender running plate prior to assembly.

I'd also move the splashers out slightly to give a bit more room for sideplay.

Simon

Edited by 65179