Help for beginners

IanLister

Hi. New to railway modelling and have decided to build a 2mm layout after looking on here. Pic of my first wagon and first bit of track, an easitrac turnout, attatched - hopefully. We all have to start somewhere!

I'd really appreciate some guidance on how to operate the turnout using a cobalt turnout motor which I've bought.....tiebar, linkage etc. Wagon rolls through the turnout perfectly, but making the switch blades work looks a bit scary.

Thanks in advance

Ian

post-11846-0-37089500-1304879337_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Making the blades is easy. The best tip is to take your time in doing it. Some also suggest only filing in one direction, doing this can stop you skewering yourself on the blade (Having don it a few times avoiding it is a good thing).

Ian,

I'm not sure if you've read it in the past, but this is the method I finalised on. Even though it can look a bit daunting at first, it is quite straight forward and any minor errors during construction can be compensated for due to it be adjustable.

Component break down:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/233/entry-1794-turnout-control/

Installation:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/233/entry-1908-tou-installation/

Also, a "floating sleeper" is as simple as it gets. Cut out one of your plastic sleepers near the tips of your blades and replaced with a PCB sleeper which is only soldered to the blade tips. It is possible to solder around the plastic chairs without too much trouble, lots of heat and flux! Get in and out ASAP before the chairs warp (I learnt the hard way and destroyed my first 3 way like that dry.gif ). Pixie has used his method and might even provide pictures if we ask nicely ;)

I can highly recommend reading back through Missy's blog to read up on her servo driven method. Very original and innovative!

Archived