ess1uk

Yes, I beleve A1 did produce some sort of conversion kit. I was at an exhibition a few years ago and I remember seeing the kit with a reduced price ticket on it.

It might be worth seeking A1 out at a show and asking them directly.

A1's stuff is prehistoric compared with Shawplan's latest - I don't ecven know anyone who buys their stuff anymore to be honest! But the 47 901 kit may give you a leg up - combine with newer Shawplan parts and the result would probably be fine :)

• RMweb Gold

It might be worth seeking A1 out at a show and asking them directly.

A1's stuff is prehistoric compared with Shawplan's latest - I don't ecven know anyone who buys their stuff anymore to be honest! But the 47 901 kit may give you a leg up - combine with newer Shawplan parts and the result would probably be fine :)

Their buffers are quite good and there are a few parts that Shawplan haven't got around to doing yet if at all... TTA tank ends for instance. So yes I admit it... I still use them :jester:

Yeah, I'll be fair i can think of a couple of things from A1 which have their uses! The short fine single arm wipers are good and I've got a stock for Class 37s and 40s and the oval buffers are OK once you add a decent back plate and shank detail from Shawplan etches. But much of their stuff is very eighties and Shawplan have overtaken them completely.

Re 47601/901s headlight, this was the standard fitting at the time . It was fitted to various classes as a modification, for two reasons, one was tp pick up warning boards (new style reflective oes were been trialed at the time) and the second to make the vehicles more visable to trackworkers. They were fitted to class 86, 47s and Trans pennine dmus. The sme unit was the fitted on 47601 and the first 56s also had the same sme basic fitting. The modification plate described them as a Quartz Halogen lamp and is in fact the standard 12v 55w halogen lamp as fitted to most car spot lamps of the era.

The sealed beam lamps are not sealed beams they area lamp fitting with a hinged cover the open to reveal a standard 130v 40w LBC lamp, why does the modeling world insist on calling the that, BR refer to the as marker lamps.

Al Taylor

One just sold on E-Bay

http://www.ebay.co.u...T-/230656521438

Hi, yes i am the new owner of said roof panel and eventually 47901 will roll off the production line using Bachmann's 47035 as a donor loco fitted with class 57 bogie frames. Livery will be BR Blue with red buffer beams circa 1986/87. I have only ever seen 2 of these roof panels in around 3 years, I did get in touch with the manufacturers A1 models and there were no plans to reintroduce this kit in the near future.

Rob,

For the rest of us, would you mind posting a photo of the panel before you incorporate it into your Bachmann 47?

The reason I ask, is that it was hard to tell from the photo on eBay what it looked like (cropped and poor quality photo).

Also, thanks for clarifying A1's position on the availability of this etch!

Many thanks in advance,

Guy

It was a requirement that electric locos capable of 110mph or more, and diesel-electric locos capable of 100mph or more, had a headlight

At the time this was just the Class 47/6, 47/7, 86/1, 87/0, 87/1 locos and HST power cars

A number of Class 86/2 were later also fitted, as they were uprated to 110mph

Sadly Platform 5 didn't record specific locos with headlights prior to 1985

Also by 1989 they were standard

Therefore if someone with books between 1985 and 1988 could examine the headlight, l, we should therefore be able to work out which other Class 47 had a headlight

The headlight design is known as a sealed beam headlight

However, I cannot recall any other Class 47 having this type

Other 47s which had this type of lamp in the 1970s were 47432. 434 and 523.

If you want to know more about 47601/901 then check out the September 2009 issue of Traction.Or wait until this time next year..........

Regards

Simon

Rob,

For the rest of us, would you mind posting a photo of the panel before you incorporate it into your Bachmann 47?

The reason I ask, is that it was hard to tell from the photo on eBay what it looked like (cropped and poor quality photo).

Also, thanks for clarifying A1's position on the availability of this etch!

Many thanks in advance,

Guy

Guy

As requested (hopefully) images of the roof panel. The fragile areas are the cantrail grills which on this example are undamaged.

regards

Rob

post-11513-0-19264300-1316805399_thumb.jpg

post-11513-0-04455500-1316805441_thumb.jpg

post-11513-0-73642700-1316805487_thumb.jpg

post-11513-0-48608000-1316805525_thumb.jpg

Rob,

Thanks for posting... will be helpful for anyone else who is planning a model of this unique beast!

Let's keep the photos coming... would be really good to see other people's progress on re-creating 47901.

I'm certainly feeling much more inspired to buy one of the Vi-Trains 47s for my planned conversion now!

Guy

• RMweb Gold

they are the large bogie wagons in ARC livery. They have open tops but, pardon me if i'm wrong, I thought they are bottom discharge which makes them hoppers to me. As to whether this is 47901 I can only rely on my notes from the time which are very meticulous. I could have misread it in 1982 I suppose.

Guest jim s-w

they are the large bogie wagons in ARC livery. They have open tops but, pardon me if i'm wrong, I thought they are bottom discharge which makes them hoppers to me. As to whether this is 47901 I can only rely on my notes from the time which are very meticulous. I could have misread it in 1982 I suppose.

Hi Colin

The wagons you refer to were tipped to empty, They had special rotating couplings to allow this without having to uncouple them all. However they were much taller than the ones in your picture which are definately 4 wheel opens of some kind. Possibly MSV's

HTH

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Here's a thing! Egg on face time for Colin as the photo I uploaded wasnt the right one so all the clever people that noticed it was neither the 47 or the wagons I said it was - here's the right picture from my collection. It is 8th June 1982 and it is Hungerford Common. Sorry about the quality but it was late evening on a not great june day. The photo I uploaded by mistake was in fact 47035 on the same day, on open mineral wagons as people have correctly noted.

post-12721-0-37616200-1318160536_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That's more like it. Definitely 901 this time and with a rake of ARC PGAs... so you were right about the hoppers too!

Yeah its all very well having a comprehensive cataloguing system and all my slides stored digitally on my PC, but if I upload the slide next to the one I'm aiming for it all goes to rodent poo!

Archived