airfix/dapol tank wagons

Hello, I wondered if anyone out there can help. I have a number of the old airfix tank wagons and want to model the version with a slightly longer barrel. Does anybody have the dimensions for this or has anyone done this work previosuly; I think they were class b tanks,

many thanks and happy modelling all

Bounce!!! to put it back on the first page for a minute in the hope someone may have done what you intend.

Have you browsed HMRSPaul/ Paul Bartlett's site? He's a member on here, so if you search you'll see a link in his signature to the galleries; there just might be reference pics you could work back from if no-one has access to dimensioned drawings...

In the second of Geoff Kent's The 4mm Wagon series he describes the conversion you're thinking of, I think. Certainly it involves extending the barral length!

I think they were class b tanks,

The tanks are class B as built by Airfix, IIRC its the class A tank that has the longer barrel with the class A fuel being of lower density.

I do remember reading an article so James is probably right.

Regards

Keith,

Basic drawings for these tanks (along with countless others) appear here; http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html courtesy of Barrowmore MRG.

The dimension quoted for the barrel length is 7683mm, thats 100.8 mm at4mm/ft.

In 'The 4mm Wagon' volume 2, Geoff Kent extends the barrel by 5.5mm at each end, he scratch builds the extra lenth, but it's probablty easier to buy a spare kit and take slices from the barrel.

• Like 1

Just to confirm you are talking about the old Airfix kit of the 35GLW 'Esso' branded tanks? 25' 2 1/2" is the dimension you want for the longer class A tank, both that and the class B drawing are in 'Oil on the Rails' published by the HMRS and a great book to buy - I got mine direct from the HMRS at S4 North for £10.

There was also a much smaller tank fitted on the same sort of chassis.

Bounce!!! to put it back on the first page for a minute in the hope someone may have done what you intend.

Have you browsed HMRSPaul/ Paul Bartlett's site? He's a member on here, so if you search you'll see a link in his signature to the galleries; there just might be reference pics you could work back from if no-one has access to dimensioned drawings...

This is the Class B - as Airfix http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essobtankwagonvb

This is the longer Class A http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essoatankwagonvb

And this is the bitumen http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essobitumenvb

The Class B had various alternatives, as many ask about TMDs and tank wagons - see this collection for quite a number of them being used by BR. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/db999xxxtank

Paul Bartlett

• Like 2

Just to confirm you are talking about the old Airfix kit of the 35GLW 'Esso' branded tanks? 25' 2 1/2" is the dimension you want for the longer class A tank, both that and the class B drawing are in 'Oil on the Rails' published by the HMRS and a great book to buy - I got mine direct from the HMRS at S4 North for £10.

There was also a much smaller tank fitted on the same sort of chassis.

A source of drawing for the Class B is Bartlett, Paul W. & Fidczuk, Peter (1991) Tank wagons, part 4. 35-ton GLW vacuum brake tanks, Model Railways vol. 8 (part 1) pp 25 - 31. Drawing - diag. TS027C Esso 35t class B tank

Paul Bartlett

• 2 years later...

Ladders and walkways are available from, I think, RT Models.

Masokits make a replacement sprung chassis but it retains the kits solebars which IMHO are the worst bit of the kit

Shawplan have been working on an all singing and dancing chassis and dress up kit but don't hold your breath waiting for it. 

Replacement buffers should be 2' Oleos or Dowtys with 16" heads depending on your prototype. Lanarkshire Models may do a suitable buffer but I'm not completely familiar with their range.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

thanks David.

for me, the ladders and buffers will improve it a lot. just a easy cheap kit, always a question of how far to go but I think that will be enough for me on this one.

There is a nice sequence of one being shunted around Buxton in 1968 on one of the B&R videos and I just said "I fancy one of them" purely because of that bit of film.

it is in Esso livery but doesnt have the writing on the left side of the tank, the last thing would be replacement transfers as Im not holding out on these original Airfix ones being much cop.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Michael

Looking at the photo on the RT site they have also added the rods connecting the brake shoes - can be seen as silver rod at end under the sole bar.

? worth doing as is easy but conspicuous

Phil

• Like 2

it is in Esso livery but doesnt have the writing on the left side of the tank, the last thing would be replacement transfers as Im not holding out on these original Airfix ones being much cop.

Mike

I think John at Cambridge Custom Transfers does various sheets for these.

I've got lots of spare slices of barrel kept for the conversion, I use the chassis for MTV/ZKV 'zander' ballast wagons, and shorten the barrels for tanktainers, but I doubt they are worth the cost of postage.

Jon

Jon

• Like 1

Axleboxes could be worth looking at using MJT's SKF roller bearing, Airfix hooded is a little clumpy ( but lets not forget the kits time line and heritage.

Break gear could do with a look do Ambis still do any useful bits and bobs? Masokits ?

A general thijng of parts works a treat, just had a re-read of Geoff Kents book after the reference in a post above. Geoff has a knack of doing just 'enough' that lifts a model, he even uses the buffers supplied in the kit making them more oleo-esq

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

not sure what it is he does but ive just turned my buffers in a mini drill and gently thinned them down with an emery board.

post-27-0-55983100-1368714911_thumb.jpg

even if there was an all singing, all dancing kit of one of these, you will still get people asking you if its the airfix one.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 4

Michael

Looking at the photo on the RT site they have also added the rods connecting the brake shoes - can be seen as silver rod at end under the sole bar.

? worth doing as is easy but conspicuous

Phil

ive had a go at that, unsure of what other brake bars to do, ie how they would be connected.

post-27-0-72817100-1368727793_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Michael!

Havent got a prototype wagon to hand to advise but those brake block tie bars must take actuation - pull on the outer, push on the inner to bring the brake blocks to bear - from the brake shaft which is actuated by the pistons in the vacuum cylinders.

Sorry I cant be more precise - perhaps someone better informed has a diagram?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This helps a bit - shows how the brake shaft links to the vac cylinders and handbrake lever - but I think I still missing linkages to brake shoe cross ties. IMHO there must be cranks on the brake shaft with linking rods to the cross ties - but is that 2 or 4 rods missing?

http://georgedentmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/esso-so-good.html

Hope that helps

Phil

• Like 1