Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Couple more Peter Shoesmith pictures (from Geoff Dowling Flickr):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/14078929920/in/album-72157627418868930/

Market Drayton station on a very dull 4th August 1959

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/19507473078/in/album-72157627418868930/

Littleton Colliery exchange sidings

The top doors being open on a couple in the first photo is an interesting detail not often seen.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

They are in a goods yard; wagons with top or any doors open like that would not be allowed onto running lines, and I mean would not, not should not.  One of the things the guard does as he prepares his train is to check for such things, and looking along a line of wagons they stick out like sore thumbs.

Ahem...

7081521275_b81d57b53c_b.jpgRose Grove 1.5.68 by George Woods, on Flickr

There's more...    :wink_mini:

And now for something a little obscure. 15 Brand new 16 tonners built by Teesside Bridge in 1951 and not yet handed over to BR.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW038883

Open the image full screen and they are at the very top/middle of the image. There's another five just over to the right just exiting the assembly shed.

You may have to be registered to open the images full screen but it's worth it.

Plenty of wagons to look at in that series including MOT 16 tonners with their bottom doors dropped, new 13 ton steel hoppers, loads of bolsters etc etc

If your'e looking for what to load your bolsters/opens with you'll probably find the answer here:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW031998

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are in a goods yard; wagons with top or any doors open like that would not be allowed onto running lines, and I mean would not, not should not.  One of the things the guard does as he prepares his train is to check for such things, and looking along a line of wagons they stick out like sore thumbs.

The top door had something to do with unloading at some London yards. In the days of wooden wagons there were "London" wagons where the top plank was low in the center, the top door when lowered was supposed to replicate this feature. In these London yards if a wagon was full height or had its top door up then the guys unloading it would have to be paid more.

• RMweb Gold

Ahem...

7081521275_b81d57b53c_b.jpgRose Grove 1.5.68 by George Woods, on Flickr

There's more...    :wink_mini:

And now for something a little obscure. 15 Brand new 16 tonners built by Teesside Bridge in 1951 and not yet handed over to BR.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW038883

Open the image full screen and they are at the very top/middle of the image. There's another five just over to the right just exiting the assembly shed.

You may have to be registered to open the images full screen but it's worth it.

Plenty of wagons to look at in that series including MOT 16 tonners with their bottom doors dropped, new 13 ton steel hoppers, loads of bolsters etc etc

If your'e looking for what to load your bolsters/opens with you'll probably find the answer here:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW031998

P

Well, not all guards were as good as me...  and they dropped open in transit sometimes.  But they were supposed to be shut and the wedges firmly knocked in.

Plenty of 16 tonners here, various wagon loads & shades of gray. Apologies for all of the humping on show.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-margam-marshalling-yard-the-system-of-automatic-control-1961/

I'm not sure if we've had this one before?

16314843198_c9dbd992c8_b.jpg75048 shunting domestic coal wagons, Ulverston, 2nd August 1968. by Gricer1946, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An excellent job on the loco by the MNA.

Mike.

Ah, the MNA, the SAS of gricers.  They appeared from nowhere, cleaned as many engines as they could, then melted back into the night whence they came.  Who Cares Who Wins.

Lovely load of swarf there; it looks more like turnings from a machine-shop than stamping offcuts from Chad Valley I remember being issued with a stock of cotton waste contaminated with the stuff; it cut our hands to ribbons before we realised it was there.  It's nice to see a busy yard like that; good selection of minerals,as well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The Flickr caption refers to an Albion 'coal lorry' but it's actually a London Brick Co wagon with a brick load. I would assume being delivered for building work at the yard, but possibly locally produced bricks for shipment; I'm not aware of any LBC brickworks in the area. Sorry to be a bit OT but it leapt out at me, as it were, a very familiar local livery in my youth.

• RMweb Gold

The Flickr caption refers to an Albion 'coal lorry' but it's actually a London Brick Co wagon with a brick load. I would assume being delivered for building work at the yard, but possibly locally produced bricks for shipment; I'm not aware of any LBC brickworks in the area. Sorry to be a bit OT but it leapt out at me, as it were, a very familiar local livery in my youth.

Could they be refractory bricks for local industry?

Mike.

(Knowing zip about brick production.)

Could they be refractory bricks for local industry?

Mike.

(Knowing zip about brick production.)

I don't think London Brick made refractory bricks, which are silica, rather than clay, based. More likely it was another depot where bricks from LBC's plants at Stewartby, Calvert, or Fletton were unloaded, like Lawrence Hill and Cardiff Canton; LBC were sending their bricks far and wide from the '50s into the 1970s, causing a lot of small local brickworks that couldn't afford to modernise to close down. Apart from the two services I mentioned above, they ran containerised brick trains from Calvert and Stewartby to London, Liverpool and Manchester, referred to as the 'Fletliner'

Edited by Fat Controller

Lovely load of swarf there; it looks more like turnings from a machine-shop than stamping offcuts from Chad Valley I remember being issued with a stock of cotton waste contaminated with the stuff; it cut our hands to ribbons before we realised it was there.  It's nice to see a busy yard like that; good selection of minerals,as well.

Note the wooden-bodied (7 plank, 12/13 ton?) example in the left-centre rake, and the 3-links. All in, I presume, the early sixties.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Note the wooden-bodied (7 plank, 12/13 ton?) example in the left-centre rake, and the 3-links. All in, I presume, the early sixties.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Why the question mark after the 12/13 ton?

It was a 12 ton wagon that was uprated to 13 in 1939 along with all others!

Mark Saunders