Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

I don't think this has been posted Nicely shows the inside of the pressed end door - and generally the condition of the inside of a rivetted 16 tonner.

https://flic.kr/p/2dRatzu

Paul

Page Not Found

Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.

If you think this is a problem with Flickr, please tell us.

Here's a link to the home page.

Bad link, Paul, could you have another go?

If it is something that you have highlighted it has GOT to be worth looking at.

Regards

Ian

edit:too slow!

Edited by Ian Smeeton

It works now. Click on the lower link.

I'll also try with these, very interesting train of coil loaded in Mineral wagons - many of them vacuum braked. One considerable load even for a 2-8-2T.  They will have had a wooden cradle inside. I wonder if the Coil Js replaced some of them - being ex Iron ore tipplers they had a much higher payload. I assume coils were usually 15 - 20 tons a piece.

https://flic.kr/p/2dTRijr

https://flic.kr/p/2dUvrQD

Paul

There are many fascinating photographs in this collection for anyone interested in the transition period.

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 7

Paul,

Coils were of various weights, depending on the final customer; one of the draughtsmen in the drawing office where my father worked spent his days drawing up patterns for ingot moulds. These would be a specific size, depending upon the yield required for a particular end-user. This could be anywhere between 5t and 65t. The larger ones would usually be for Pressed Steel Fisher, who would form entire car body shells out of them.

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Coils were of various weights, depending on the final customer; one of the draughtsmen in the drawing office where my father worked spent his days drawing up patterns for ingot moulds. These would be a specific size, depending upon the yield required for a particular end-user. This could be anywhere between 5t and 65t. The larger ones would usually be for Pressed Steel Fisher, who would form entire car body shells out of them.

Agreed - coil weights, and sizes varied considerably and there were also differences in size between cold reduced coil as well as hot rolled.   For example the different motor car manufacturers tended to have different specifications for the steel they took as coil, e,g. c.1972/3 Vauxhall specified a reduction in the thickness of the steel they were using for vehicle manufacture although it took what might best be described as 'some experimentation' to get it right and avoid it being wrecked by the press tools and returned to Llanwern as scrap.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Paul,

Hi Brian

Wot 65ton car ??????? :mosking:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure others will be along later to point out the finer points on why that batch of wagons had angle as opposed to flat bar. I for one shall remain schtum as it will only prove I am far sadder than thee.

• Like 1

How many ways can there be to fit the tie bar?

Only one. As Porcy suggested tie bars on wagons are usually formed from flat bar (though could be round between the axleguards (W-Irons)). On wagons built with vacuum brakes they were bent at the ends to wrap around the outside of the axleguards. On wagons originally built unfitted they were usually welded between the individual keeps or stirups. These keeps again wrapped around the edges of the axleguards. In the cast majority of cases they were not L shaped.

post-13847-0-40139200-1548497364_thumb.jpg

The only wagons (that I know of) that had L section tie bars were the 16T minerals retrofotted in the mid-1960s, such as the one in the above photo.

Justin