Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

What was probably a fairly regular sight for others at one time, of a 73 on a coal train, this photo is a first for me. 73108 near Basing in August 1980 with a consist of fully fitted 16t.

73108_near_Basing_August_1980.jpg.72c953e14d7eb4b33dba51bba945e1e1.jpg 

• Like 15

Local goods on the Strood - Paddock Wood line were either 73 or 33 hauled and at one time included 16T minerals, one sighting when I was poling Johnson's clarifiers one morning was a single fitted 16T behind a 33 heading towards Aylesford - shortest goods train I ever saw. APM's coal trains in their later years sometimes had 73s, I remember one evening while working on 31618 in Blackhorse yard, a 73 took the APM empties out. Thanks for the memories this has stirred.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I hope this isn't some dreadful euphemism...

Not intentionally - APM's two waste water clarifiers at the south end of the site were adjacent to the Johnson Tar Works (rail access was via the APM internal system), hence the nick-name. One of my jobs was to test the depth of sedimented sludge each morning by lowering a long wooden pole into the water to the bottom - if you could bounce it there was little or no sludge and the clarifier was working properly, if there was resistance due to the depth of sludge then extraction was failing and we'd have to pump out and clear the sludge. Climbing up onto the rotating scraper bridge 15' up gave a panoramic view of the main line a few yards away. I could time my rounds to hopefully see the pick up goods, or later in the morning the Allington aggregate empties go past.

• Informative/Useful 2

Mineral wagons in an industrial setting - a scan of a photo my brother found during the demolition of Aylesford paper mill (east mill). This is Howe, the Pecket 0-4-0ST in west mill. Hidden behind the buffer beam is the Strood - Paddock Wood railway line, the roof visible is east mill size plant beyond the railway and one of the pulp conveyors faintly visible above. Date unknown.

APM Peckett Howe.jpg

• Like 9

On 26/02/2020 at 08:24, Enterprisingwestern said:

What a cracking atmospheric photo, cries out to be modelled.

At least 3 variations on end door stripe on show too.

Mike.

The Airfix kit instructions weren't very clear as to how the stripe should be applied!  :)

There's an invisible one a bit further down.../

I immediately thought of the Dublo Dinky Austin lorry (but don't pay €62.65 for one   https://www.toymart.com/Dinky-064-Austin-Lorry/13213

On a more serious note: Somewhere (maybe it's this thread but much earlier on) there was information on how to modify the Airfix 16t wagon to a respectable standard (eg. brass rod between the hangers and the such). Could a kind soul point me in the right direction seeing as we're in complete lock-down over here and I've got a lot of them built (and unbuilt) that I could modify/update to keep me busy.

Cheers,

Philip

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

The Airfix kit instructions weren't very clear as to how the stripe should be applied!  :)

There's an invisible one a bit further down.../

I immediately thought of the Dublo Dinky Austin lorry (but don't pay €62.65 for one   https://www.toymart.com/Dinky-064-Austin-Lorry/13213

The official instruction is that the stripe should start at the bottom of the side and go to the door hinge, which on a steel mineral wagon is below the steel strip that strengthened the box and ran across the end above the door. Whereas on wooden wagons the hinge was usually right at the top of the door without such an addition above it, so simply painting any diagonal strapping was acceptable.

On the steel minerals there were plenty of times the instruction was ignored, but too many times supposedly good modellers have got it wrong! (I have in mind an article in MRJ many years ago).

By the way I followed that link, I have two of those models - one repainted the other in a reasonable green. The prices suggested are amazing - even for a low quality model.

Paul