Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

thought we could have a thread dedicated to an old favourite

nothing shouts that 1950s-60s era to me more than those grey rusty wagons, which lived on well into the 1980s as fitted wagons.

so, show us your models. tell us your weathering techniques,

any make, any scale , any livery, work in progresses, unfitted or fitted.

show us links or photos of the real thing.

Ill kick it off with an old shot of a mix of some airfix and parkside dundas ones..

16tonners.jpg

• Like 18

Just dragged this outside for a couple of photos;

post-6749-0-92693900-1305039520_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-96926900-1305039530_thumb.jpg

Peco 7mm diagram 1/102 mineral. My only item of 7mm scale rolloing stock, built many years ago. A nice kit but I wish I'd glued the (opening) side doors closed as they won't shut properly!

Weathered with Carrs powders, not the greatest weathering job I fully admit but I thought I'd include it here as you don't see many of these kits about.

• Like 10

Interesting. Good detail of the ropework. Wonder what they were carrying?

Given the location and direction of travel away from East Anglia - likely to be sand. The only other load might be sugarbeet but was normally carried "in the open".

• Like 1

I have seen footage of them tarpaulined, usually amongst other 5 plank and open wagons, id imagine because they never had enough of these available at the time.

like here... but hard to capture, the second wagon was one of the longer stretched type, the rest where normal open wagons.

tarpaulin.png

I dont think it would be minerals in them, moreso boxed or palleted merchandise.

A few possibilities:-

Burnt lime- has to be kept dry. This used to be a common traffic in a few areas, such as the Peak District, going for industrial use (glass, steel and sugar-beet processing), use in water-processing plants and in agriculture.

Sugar beet, or possibly beet pulp. The former would often be railed from one British Sugar plant to another, to keep production balanced. The latter was combined with other ingredients for animal feed.

Fish offal; used for fertiliser manufacture- probably the smelliest rail traffic known!

• Like 1

To add to earlier suggestions, I think gypsum was carried in sheeted wagons (although probably not at that location).

There's a pretty late pic here of a sheeted wagon; given its presence at York I'm tempted to suggest it might be beet or something else connected with the sugar works

• Like 1

Repainted Bachmann, except for the AVB one at the far end in the first pic which is parkside body on scratchy U/F. Ruston's 7mm minerals are doing it for me...

I just spotted the missing door spring on the middle pic.

post-2980-0-11463200-1305133075_thumb.jpg

post-2980-0-35131400-1305133146_thumb.jpg

post-2980-0-25799900-1305133243_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few of mine, usually found on either Foundry Lane or New Haden Colliery:

minerallineupbw.jpg

B77480.jpg

B80285.jpg

B102360.jpg

DSCF1987.jpg

DSCF1980.jpg

Mainly Parkside with replacement cast buffers and brakes, more details in my blog here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/24/entry-2786-16t-minerals/

Finally, I knew it's not a 16 tonner, but it's a bit of a favourite:

DSCF2235.jpg

Cheers

• Like 13

Finally, I knew it's not a 16 tonner, but it's a bit of a favourite:

I shall let you off ;)

they can be included too :)

really nice.

what colour for the brown rust are you using?

whats peoples opinions on Bachmann versus parkside?

when I drive past Hattons I think shall I pop in and get some Bachmann 16tonners, but then think that they are going to be converted to EM and you can build the chassis wider on the kit and you can also get EM wheels and bearings with them too so I never bother.

Mike

Mike,

The Bachmann 16 tonners are a very easy conversion to EM. I covered it on my blog

I'm told you don't even need to go to the stage of moving the brakegear outwards like I did - they'll just bend out slightly to give enough clearance.

Other than that, they are a nice little model and a very easy way to assemble a train of 16T wagons. That said, the Parkside kits are also relatively easy to put together and offer more modelling input. Horses for courses I guess!

Alastair