Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Getting bored with the lockdown and want something different with your 16T's?  I have my suspicions this might be a B&W pic that's been colourised, but fun nonetheless. (Talywain)

Enthusiast Special at Talywain  1967 by John Wiltshire

Now that's taken me back a bit!  I don't think the picture is a colourised black and white, the colours look about right for Talywaun to me.  It's a winter shot, 1969 I think, and the grass is a bit dry and dead.

Or, Bathgate once more, albeit the railway there now bears little relation to the days of the 16T mineral wagon !

Edited by caradoc
Spelling mistake

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Maude Leaving Bathgate

Bathgate

What's the point of the double single track?

Is it to allow loco's to bypass the weighbridge?

Kev.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:47, SHMD said:

What's the point of the double single track?

Is it to allow loco's to bypass the weighbridge?

https://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3047&forum_id=11

which in turn links back to RMweb:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73214-cadbury-bournville/page/2/#entry1079868

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 2

Fast Forward to 1:56:32 for some rather nice colour film of 16 tonners in 1959 on the Cromford and High Peak...many a shade of grey.

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've thought about it as a lottery commission project, but not sure I could handle the timetable all on my own.  There are 3 railways here, the GW Bridgend-Abergwinfi branch in the foreground, the righthand-most track, the Rhondda and Swansea Bay in the cutting with the connection from the GW crossing it to the other side of the valley, the South Wales Mineral joined by the connection serving Glycorrwg.  Cwmmer Afan station is visible in the background; tiny village or nor it had 5 platforms and a privately run licensed Refreshment Room.  This is still in business and serving the mountain bikers, worth a visit for the pictures on it's walls, 'The Refresh'.

The viewpoint is from the road that crosses above the entrance to Caerau Tunnel which leads from the Llynfi Valley, and the Afan Valley is about 150 yards wide side to side at this point; the mountain behind the photorgrapher is just as precipitious as the one opposite, but has houses at the top!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I've thought about it as a lottery commission project, but not sure I could handle the timetable all on my own.  There are 3 railways here, the GW Bridgend-Abergwinfi branch in the foreground, the righthand-most track, the Rhondda and Swansea Bay in the cutting with the connection from the GW crossing it to the other side of the valley, the South Wales Mineral joined by the connection serving Glycorrwg.  Cwmmer Afan station is visible in the background; tiny village or nor it had 5 platforms and a privately run licensed Refreshment Room.  This is still in business and serving the mountain bikers, worth a visit for the pictures on it's walls, 'The Refresh'.

The viewpoint is from the road that crosses above the entrance to Caerau Tunnel which leads from the Llynfi Valley, and the Afan Valley is about 150 yards wide side to side at this point; the mountain behind the photorgrapher is just as precipitious as the one opposite, but has houses at the top!

Interested me enough to try and find a map showing the railways, so found this one (use the slider to compare and contrast with either aerial photography, current OS mapping etc.):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.381115879214708&lat=51.65259&lon=-3.65347&layers=193&b=8

Apologies for adding to thread drift.

Edited by 26power
To add apology
  • Informative/Useful 3