Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 26power said:

Interested me enough to try and find a map showing the railways, so found this one (use the slider to compare and contrast with either aerial photography, current OS mapping etc.):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.381115879214708&lat=51.65259&lon=-3.65347&layers=193&b=8

Apologies for adding to thread drift.

The picture was taken from Brytwn Road as it crossed the railway?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

That's right, Mike, a few yards down the valley from the tunnel entrance which the road crosses.  I've seen a few photos taken from this spot or very close to it; it's a natural viewpoint.  The village of Croeserw is at the top of the mountain behind the photographer.

26power's map link is interesting in that the survey is dated 1965, about the last possible time that all the railways were extant.  Passenger services had ceased by then on the R & SB, and only workmen's trains served Glyncorrwg and the North Rhondda pit at the head of that valley.  Abergwynfi was closed to passengers but still open for freight and to serve the Avon pit.

The Blaenrhondda Tunnel, the longest entirely in Wales, was only being used at this time by one passenger service, though there was still mineral traffic, the passenger service being the single car unit, Class 121, service from Bridgend to Treherbert via Maesteg.  The tunnel had been built as cheaply as possible and, although a seam of coal was discovered while it was being dug and the coal sold to defray costs, the R & SB did not purchase the mining rights above and below the tunnel.  It was  therefore undermined from all sides and plagued by subsidence and other distortion; strengthening with steel hoops was carried out over a period between 1938 and 1958 to stabilise it.  A minor earthquake on a fault running through it took it out of loading gauge in 1967, and it never re-opened, being closed pending repairs, then closed pending  a Board of Trade safety inspection, and the service ended altogether in 1970.  Between the tunnel's first closure and the final closing of the service, the 121 terminated at Cwmmer Afan and a connecting bus ran over the Bwlch Road to Treorchy.  I travelled on this in 1969. 

There is currently a Rhondda Tunnel Society campaigning to re-open the tunnel for pedestrian and cycle use, which may achieve this in time.

• Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

26power's map link is interesting in that the survey is dated 1965, about the last possible time that all the railways were extant.  Passenger services had ceased by then on the R & SB, and only workmen's trains served Glyncorrwg and the North Rhondda pit at the head of that valley.  Abergwynfi was closed to passengers but still open for freight and to serve the Avon pit.

I’m sure you were aware, but other mapping is also available.  This is the 25inch from between 1892 and 1914, which shows the track layout in greater detail, including  a connection immediately after the viaduct to a colliery off to the left of the picture:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.755836797213863&lat=51.65170&lon=-3.65370&layers=168&b=8

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 26power said:

I’m sure you were aware, but other mapping is also available.  This is the 25inch from between 1892 and 1914, which shows the track layout in greater detail, including  a connection immediately after the viaduct to a colliery off to the left of the picture:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.755836797213863&lat=51.65170&lon=-3.65370&layers=168&b=8

This is gold dust, 26; the first time I've seen the full track layout of Avon Colliery.  Perhaps the lottery layout should be Blaengwnfi/Abergwynfi, separate railways each with a colliery to serve.  The Tondu locos I've got now plus some of Duffryn Yard's and Treherbert's studs, which included Taff Vale As and Rhymney Rs in the 50s...

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 15:13, SM42 said:

I've always wondered how many times the buffers  or vacuum pipe followed the coal during this operation.

Andy

The vacuum pipe/hose connection had its own protective cowling which you can see on this wagon being restored...so either there had been a problem with the hoses being ripped off or the draughtsman/design team thought ahead and built in some protection...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Axlebox said:

The vacuum pipe/hose connection had its own protective cowling which you can see on this wagon being restored

... and here's one of his brethren, with unmodified piping to the loaded vac cyl.

10291089273_85d63f3c96_b.jpg146. 432 65842 Percy Main 13-12-63 (WP Hodgson) 449 by George Stephenson, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add missing letters.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, jwealleans said:

Very continental looking van at Derwenthaugh.

What would the maximum speed of that train be with the Jocko included?

Hi JW,

The 08 has had its rods removed and are likely laid on the cab floor along with having the the traction motor lay shafts wound out of engagement preventing the motors from turning while being towed. In that condition an 08 is able to travel at normal goods train speeds, this was the normal way to move 08's before the railway realised that goods traffic is much cheaper to send by road.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Very continental looking van at Derwenthaugh.

Transfesa van, which had been collected from the 'Green Market' at Team Valley Industrial Estate. This was active into the mid-1980s; you could just see it from the ECML after the junctions for Low Fell.

This freight would have started at Tyne Yard, calling at Green Market, Low Fell engineer's yard, Thompson's scrap yard at Dunston, Derwenthaugh/ Swawell to pick up/set down 'cripples', and finally, Blaydon Yard. In the early part of the 1980s, this had a coal yard, the empties from which were reloaded with scrap,  and a siding where wagons were cleaned. I saw a rake of 'Clyde Cement' wagons there once.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 14/06/2020 at 08:04, Axlebox said:

The vacuum pipe/hose connection had its own protective cowling which you can see on this wagon being restored...so either there had been a problem with the hoses being ripped off or the draughtsman/design team thought ahead and built in some protection...

Cant say I've ever noticed that before, thanks, but I was thinking more of the loose end of the vac pipe being clattered by a couple of ton of coal rushing past. 

Andy

On 23/06/2020 at 22:10, Metr0Land said:

20048_1978_03_Lenton

Lenton

25101_1980_09_Lenton_sth

Lenton South Jn - note the Warflats

37125_1977_07_Shireoaks

Shireoaks

lb Colwick_ImageH03  cabless V2 c1955

Colwick

Any information on the V2?  It looks as though the boiler is on a wagon-possibly going for scrap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Any information on the V2?  It looks as though the boiler is on a wagon-possibly going for scrap.

Hi jrg1,

It has likely had its cab removed for maintenance work to the back head to be performed. The likely works would be changing out broken stays or caulking up of leaky rivets or laps of the outer shell which cannot be accessed with the cab in place.

Gibbo.

3 hours ago, Axlebox said:

1962-06-18 Loch Tay shed GTR orig

Loch Tay....a damp day and you can just feel the midgies

Remarkable how modern the photo looks (just checked on Flickr and was astounded to see it dated 1962). I thought it must be on a preserved line somewhere, but, no, it's just really good quality colour. 

• Like 1