Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

4 hours ago, Axlebox said:

...have we seen this before? 

Thanks for the link to another useful Flickr site!  I don’t recall seeing it before.

In the same album this “P” numbered 16T mineral might be a bit of a rarity?  Especially caught in colour and in detail.  At a Thornhill power station, West Yorkshire, July 1966.

Thornhill Power Station

Quite a few other shots in colour in this album where there are 16 tonners as a more incidental part of the picture.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, 26power said:

Thanks for the link to another useful Flickr site!  I don’t recall seeing it before.

In the same album this “P” numbered 16T mineral might be a bit of a rarity?  Especially caught in colour and in detail.  At a Thornhill power station, West Yorkshire, July 1966.

Thornhill Power Station

Quite a few other shots in colour in this album where there are 16 tonners as a more incidental part of the picture.

Does the P number indicate that Lima's brightly coloured PO steel minerals were not quite as totally fictional as we believed them to be? ;)

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I'd have to trawl the Larkin book, but there were PO steel minerals from the 1930s.  That looks like the LNER diagram; were some of the MOS ones given P numbers in error?

Someone with more time can pin this down, I'm sure.

Didn't the LNER design have top-flap doors? The closest to the photo I could find in Larkin were the 1/102, MoS-ordered wagons. However, these all seem to have B-prefixed, 5-figure numbers.  It is, as you suggest, most probably a mistake; I had a summer job in the early 1970s, part of which involved checking wagon numbers on 16 tonners against a list BR had suggested were on site. It was not uncommon to have wagons with different numbers on either side, or painted and plated numbers being different I even found one with a number indicative of a vehicle transferred to Departmental ex-Coaching Stock (DMxxxxxM)

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/08/2020 at 10:03, Fat Controller said:

I had a summer job in the early 1970s, part of which involved checking wagon numbers on 16 tonners against a list BR had suggested were on site. It was not uncommon to have wagons with different numbers on either side, or painted and plated numbers being different I

During my two year career hiatus in Mossend TOPS 1987-89, part of my job was generating train lists for engineers services consisting of 40-plus ZHVs (ex 16T minerals). Invariably some of the wagon numbers on the handwritten list faxed to us by the shunter (often smudged and rain-damaged) did not exist, or were hundreds of miles away; We just used similar numbers from previous trains, or did a search for similarly-numbered wagons in the area, to create the train list.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

60885 class D freight from Leeds to KX Goods 19-11-58

What an interesting image to my untrained eye. Smokebox door is open (burst open in impact?) But blower seems to be on and safety valves have wisps coming from them. Has it just happened so resently that the (two?) figures on the tender the crew making an escape or are they trying to get access to take the fire out? At that angle it can't be far off exposing a fusible plug?

Anyone know a bit more about what is shown?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iands said:

Might the first photo be showing the result of the Nov 1958 accident, or at least part of it? 

According to the caption (click on picture) it is indeed 19 Nov 58

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

According to the caption (click on picture) it is indeed Nov 58

Ah, sorry and thanks for that Metr0land, I keep forgetting to click on the photos for more info.