Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

5758809808_60c33af10c_n.jpg.82c33efa288d7030fa5facabd30499c3.jpg15032150964_b1d7cc3233_b.jpg.7238e3d4594a7ecf0dff3256ccea6725.jpg50358531337_5daae116f5_b.jpg.3077e8a94db7611b87c9141da9f9fb0a.jpgobj6162geo5521pg495p12.jpg.cc6ed3c84857326a1dade2acdcd4da47.jpgLooking for photos of my local station Hemel Hempsted Midland I found a few with mineral wagons. Mainly at Hemelite but one at the station. I used to live about 200 yards to the right of the last shot and worked about the same distance from Hemelite. Of course I never bothered to photograph such mundane  scenes.

Bernard

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Some interesting characters there; Sid and Ivy from the Summer Wine caff running the chippy, and Richard Beckinsale gets a bit part as well...

...  and Noddy Holders sideboards making an un-credited guest appearance.

• Funny 1

On 25/11/2020 at 20:01, Bernard Lamb said:

Looking for photos of my local station Hemel Hempsted Midland I found a few with mineral wagons. Mainly at Hemelite but one at the station. I used to live about 200 yards to the right of the last shot and worked about the same distance from Hemelite. Of course I never bothered to photograph such mundane  scenes.

Bernard

Yes Mea Culpa I was the same. I took a very hurried shot in 1974 when I was in the middle of a Rothamsted experimental station field doing weevil counts and the train came by. A year later I was living only a few hundred yards from where the branch joined the Midland mainline but never took pictures of the trains, the signal box or the signals.... And this despite travelling all over the country looking for mineral wagons amongst other things. And it was years later that electrification meant the branch was severed. And I still lived there until 1995. Also drove past the Hemel H. end of the line on a number of occasions and never ventured in = although I did that at dozens of similar sites usually with success. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes Mea Culpa I was the same. I took a very hurried shot in 1974 when I was in the middle of a Rothamsted experimental station field doing weevil counts and the train came by. A year later I was living only a few hundred yards from where the branch joined the Midland mainline but never took pictures of the trains, the signal box or the signals.... And this despite travelling all over the country looking for mineral wagons amongst other things. And it was years later that electrification meant the branch was severed. And I still lived there until 1995. Also drove past the Hemel H. end of the line on a number of occasions and never ventured in = although I did that at dozens of similar sites usually with success. 

Paul

Another guilty ex-Harpendonian... :blush:

3 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

Another guilty ex-Harpendonian... :blush:

Yes. Harpenden always had a lot of railway historian/modellers. HMRS usually had about 12 members - which was a lot for a small town! 

But I will admit I am very grateful for being ex and for MAFF moving us as I was dreading having teenage kids in Harpenden which had nowt going for it apart from pubs. And I was lucky in that I worked there, so had lots of local contacts, unlike 90% of the local population. 

AS to MINERALS. Some nice photos of a clean diag 1/109 mineral in todays Railway Bylines (Dec)

Paul

1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

...38 years ago

Good to see network rail (or whoever) doing their bit for restoration!

https://goo.gl/maps/Mq7FPDCeSoVR93i39

Here Archie, If you spin that view through 180° you can almost see my "place of learning". That pic has me wondering if our late Mr. W accompanied Mr Rhodes on that sortie?

Anywez; the experiments continue. Some reasonably realistic, some not so. Wadaya think?

16tonWeathering-035EditSm.jpg.f407b7bbe5cd89d95df8c42446ceac3f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

nice bit of film of the bridge in use...with some 16T minerals being shunted across...

Great footage Axlebox, thanks for posting. I grew up in Oxford and spotted at the station from 1971 onwards, but we paid little or no attention to the swing bridge and Rewley Road Yard as it was 'just' our local diesel shunters there, among them 4178, seen every day then and ignored but fondly remembered now. How foolish are the young ?!!

• Like 2