Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

53 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

D2205 Middlesborough Docks 12.03.78

12th March 1978.  Internal User 16t mineral 070360 (marked for use in Hartlepool)

Middlesbrough Docks had a fleet of assorted iu 16 ton minerals that were almost all repainted a mid blue along with other vans, opens and flats!! Such was the extent of the Docks railway these could get to Tees Dock without going on the main!

• Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Middlesbrough Docks had a fleet of assorted iu 16 ton

Hartlepool & Hull docks under BR ownership took a great deal of the wooden underframe  ex NER/LNER 20 ton hoppers. At Harlepool they were used for shuttling timber, paper & pulp between the Cliffe House timber yards and the modernised dock wharves.

ICI Billinghams division also bought shed loads of the ex NER wooden framed hoppers to move coal and other materials around the various Haverton Hill stocking grounds.

49 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

ICI Billinghams division also bought shed loads of the ex NER wooden framed hoppers to move coal and other materials around the various Haverton Hill stocking grounds.

Haverton Hill also had a large fleet of Non Pool ex railway Highs for moving bagged Ammonium Nitrate fom the works to the wharf rover the BR line.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Hartlepool & Hull docks under BR ownership took a great deal of the wooden underframe  ex NER/LNER 20 ton hoppers. At Harlepool they were used for shuttling timber, paper & pulp between the Cliffe House timber yards and the modernised dock wharves.

The 070360 number is in the sequence for a BR owned internal user wagon...but for a wagon allocated to the Western region! (IIRC NE region wagons were in the 042XXX series)

2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

The 070360 number is in the sequence for a BR owned internal user wagon...but for a wagon allocated to the Western region! (IIRC NE region wagons were in the 042XXX series)

The British Transport Docks had their own number series and duplicated the Western Region one!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2020 at 14:46, Axlebox said:

Thanks caradoc, nice bit of film of the bridge in use...with some 16T minerals being shunted across...

Brillaint bit of film.

Is it me or at around 2m 35secs is the train still moving but the loco wheels not. The connecting rods seem not to be moving.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, RichardClayton said:

And here’s another one

Just a bit of paint needed. I'll look forward to seeing it turn it's wheels when all this commotion gets back to some normality.

My faffing about has moved on a bit since:

Current state of affairs:

16tonWeathering-(A)-054-EditSm.jpg.1479e34a47b3f41abc81e72535d0f167.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Faffing
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Is life always Black & White ? With a good layer of rust.

IMG_0954.jpg.b7d05d3bc70aaa1efe391511caa13c67.jpg

Mucking about track cleaning before an outing a few years back..

Don't know if anyone has added Chalk wagons before and I'm not searching 154 pages - sorry !!

Geoff T.

• Like 8

On 02/01/2021 at 23:04, johndon said:

Two uses for 16T wagons at the same location, Consett, on 10th and 11th May 1982 respectively:

11-2-copy.jpg.f864fddd6165353b32fa0fcc8a526495.jpg

37094-11-May-1982.jpg.62070c25840164e73ce35ec0130f1bf6.jpg

Not 100% sure, but I think the scrap in the second photo may well be the cut-up remains of part of Consett works. I remember seeing train-loads of the stuff being brought down to Tyne yard. A few years later, and it would be Ravenscraig's turn, with daily trains on the Newcastle and Carlisle, bound for Lackenby.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Not 100% sure, but I think the scrap in the second photo may well be the cut-up remains of part of Consett works. I remember seeing train-loads of the stuff being brought down to Tyne yard. A few years later, and it would be Ravenscraig's turn, with daily trains on the Newcastle and Carlisle, bound for Lackenby.

It is, the desolation in the background is what was left of the steelworks. In the second photo, the part demolished building above the last wagon was the iron ore unloading facility for the PTA wagons. 

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...