Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 14:04, Porcy Mane said:

You decide.  (A few metallics thrown in for good measure).

HumbrolGrays_032EditSm.jpg.33bfe80b9c3ab62d10bf50a2de2c57df.jpg

No matter what, I can think of a few that would contest they were the wrong grey.

Why do some tins have a circle lining the inner lid of some tins, and why do they and others have a mark drawn on the the lid's rim?

(I can guess popular and opening point respectively but I just don't know.)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SHMD said:

Why do some tins have a circle lining the inner lid of some tins, and why do they and others have a mark drawn on the the lid's rim?

(I can guess popular and opening point respectively but I just don't know.)

Kev.

It's Mr Mane's ADHD!

Mike.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Why do some tins have a circle lining the inner lid

If I have more tin one tin of the same colour, the ring indicates which has been opened.

29 minutes ago, SHMD said:

why do they and others have a mark drawn on the the lid's rim?

Contents thinned for putting through the airbrush.

28 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's Mr Mane's ADHD!

Ermmmmmmm...     ...what was that you were saying???

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

M%C3%A0J+Dim-1+(2).jpg

...when one door isn't enough, just add a couple of extra! A Ballast wagon conversion on the SNCF...thanks to 'The Clearing House' Facebook Group for the link. 

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 12

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=267735581593240&set=gm.2934168033573807

...from the BRS pages on Facebook (you can have hours of fun looking through their archive of old lorry pictures...its what Sundays were made for...there are even some Roadrailer pics in there if you dig deep enough) Nice French style 16T just sneaking into the shot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Model Rail 16xx.

Model Rail seem to be doing 16xx with and without top feeds, and photos of the class suggest that this is correct.  I'd never thought about it before and assumed that all the class were built with new top feed boilers, but apparently not. 

Previous parallel boilered panniers, the 54xx, 64xx, 74xx, 57xx, and 8750 and variants, seem to have all been prone to acquiring boilers that were the next in the queue when they were overhauled, as the boilers were changed because the loco took two weeks or so less to overhaul than the boiler, so the next one in the stores was put on and the loco sent back into revenue service to earn money and free up the erecting shop bay for the next overhaul.  This means that locos built with top feed boilers may have had plain boilers later in their careers, and while the top feed type became more prevalent over time, as more were built and ultimately put into the boiler pool, some locos had plain boilers at the end of steam on the WR in 1965.  It is difficult to ascertain which locos had which boilers at which times without verified and provenanced photographic or certified written evidence.

12 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

I'm suspicious of the date, the minerals appear to be in much too good a condition especially the two middle ones, the 2nd appears to still be in MoT Bauxite and the slope sided is very neat. 

Paul

Paul, "M.o.T bauxite"? 

I always thought that bauxite on wagons denoted vacuum braked or through piped. Could explain what the M.o.T bauxite colour scheme was about and how long it lasted.

Gordon A

3 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Paul, "M.o.T bauxite"? 

I always thought that bauxite on wagons denoted vacuum braked or through piped. Could explain what the M.o.T bauxite colour scheme was about and how long it lasted.

Gordon A

What you may think of as "standard" BR mineral wagons began to be produced towards the end of WW2 for the MoWT often in munitions factories as their war work ended. They went on until c 1949. There was variety of design and they had bottom doors and independent brake - unlike the BR 108 and 109 minerals.

They were painted Bauxite. The freight stock grey and freight stock red separation was a BR idea introduced soonish after nationalisation. My later photos https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmowtmineral

See       image.png.a28fb20a8a3a13ece05be1864bdc2c40.png

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3