Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

What an excellent historical clip.  I am amazed that such anybody took the trouble to film what was such a mundane job done daily all over the country.

I remember the way my grandfather's domestic coal was delivered in Northumberland when I was a boy in the 1950s.  He was a miner and part of his remuneration was in the form of coal.  It arrived in a tipper lorry which dropped several large piles in the street - most of the men in the street were in the same line of work of course.  So I had to help him shovel it into a wheelbarrow to get it through the archway into the coal bunker behind the house.  And the neighbours all doing the same of course.

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

What an excellent historical clip.  I am amazed that such anybody took the trouble to film what was such a mundane job done daily all over the country.

I remember the way my grandfather's domestic coal was delivered in Northumberland when I was a boy in the 1950s.  He was a miner and part of his remuneration was in the form of coal.  It arrived in a tipper lorry which dropped several large piles in the street - most of the men in the street were in the same line of work of course.  So I had to help him shovel it into a wheelbarrow to get it through the archway into the coal bunker behind the house.  And the neighbours all doing the same of course.

Concessionary coal was still being delivered like that when we left the area in 1991. I used to fill the bunkers for a couple of the more elderly retirées, and as a consequence, rarely had to buy any coal ourselves.

18 hours ago, Axlebox said:

...B116066 and B559485 steal the show

More of Mr Lekies 1968 16 tonners on show. Also not too bad if you're into 08's and deft work with a shunting pole.

Music is more suited to an Ibiza beach after midnight though.  (Oh those were the days!)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

The Easter Egg special had to be run today whilst I had my test oval out for running in a new purchase. Bachmann wagon weathered by me watercolours over a PVA base layer. 

IMG_1695.JPG

NB: This reinstated image is the full frame, when originally posted it was cropped. That saved copy has been lost.

Edited by john new
Reinstatement of a lost image (Aug 2022)
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2021 at 17:21, Porcy Mane said:

More of Mr Lekies 1968 16 tonners on show. Also not too bad if you're into 08's and deft work with a shunting pole.

Music is more suited to an Ibiza beach after midnight though.  (Oh those were the days!)

Surprising number of wooden wagons in that train; some seem to be minerals but other look like open goods.

Sorry, I posted this to the wrong thread, I meant to post it to my layout thread for Ellerby, but as it is for 16 ton minerals, I hope it is OK to leave it. I was planning to post  when I had finished some.

Work in progress on a mixture of Dapol (ex Airfix) and Parkside kits, rusting being done following Martyn Welch’s method.

Mineral21.jpg

Mineral22.jpg

Mineral23.jpg

Mineral24.jpg

I have discovered that the Parkside kits have lots of spare brake gear and brake handles which are a big improvement on the Dapol parts, so I have started to use those parts to refine the Dapol kits. I do have a fondness for the old Airfix wagon kits.

I will make a proper post when I have finished a few, and I will try and post it in the correct thread. All the stage by stage of construction is in my thread linked in my signature below.

Thanks for all the posts, so much information to gather from this thread and so many images to base detailing and weathering on.

Again, sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Jamie

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 10

On 04/04/2021 at 12:02, john new said:

The Easter Egg special had to be run today whilst I had my test oval out for running in a new purchase. Bachmann wagon weathered by me watercolours over a PVA base layer. 

cropped IMG_1695.jpg

What did you use to weather the eggs?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, andytrains said:

What did you use to weather the eggs?

Not sure if that was a joke comment or not so answered seriously. They were the Terry's Choc Orange eggs straight out of the bag. Very nice they were when eaten later too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, john new said:

Not sure if that was a joke comment or not so answered seriously. They were the Terry's Choc Orange eggs straight out of the bag. Very nice they were when eaten later too.

It was supposed to be a joke as they look rusty.

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Was there a special local traffic which required so many pallet vans as seen in the background?

Mike.

I'm sure we've seen this before...but the thought of trawling through nearly 160 pages to look for it! Its got to be worth a replay and B557510 is the star of the show.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

So did the guy driving the lorry on the bridge by the look of it!

Is the lorry there to carry the debris away, I wonder? There are some photos on here (http://www.nuneatonhistory.com/on-midland-railway-lines.html) suggesting that it was a derailed wagon that hit the parapet. There are shots of different tippers on the bridge, along with men shovelling debris.

Later in the text, it suggests a coupling broke, causing the front portion to brake, and the rear (presumably unfitted) portion to run into it at speed.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 2