Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the shot of 'Pamela'; I had a footplate ride and brief drive aboard her in 1969 when I was 17, in similar high summer conditions.  For some reason she seems to have been photogenic, and I have never seen photos of any of her sisters.  She is still in existence at the Garw Valley Railway in Pontycwmmer in the neighbouring  valley, painted as a J94.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Enjoyed the shot of 'Pamela'; I had a footplate ride and brief drive aboard her in 1969 when I was 17, in similar high summer conditions.  For some reason she seems to have been photogenic,

I also enjoyed this photo but it left me wondering just what the base colour of the locomotive is under all of that grime, light blue , grey or a shade of green ? Anybody any idea, please ?

(Apologies to all, I realise that this is a thread about 16t wagons and not about locomotives, so please make any responses brief. Cheers.)

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Apology added.

• RMweb Gold

I believe Omar was involved as well.

In the 80s I regularly commuted along the A467 road seen in this shot, and at the junction with the traffic lights junction with the A472 at the bottom of Hafodyryns Hill (the most polluted road in Wales, I nearly bought a 3 storey house there once because of the magnificent long garden down the hill at the back) there were 2 pubs, gone now I suspect, one called The Viaduct and the other The Navigation, both a bit 'rough'.  It mildly amused me because there was no trace of either viaduct or canal anywhere to be seen in those days!

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I believe Omar was involved as well.

Certainly someone all dressed up in a Thawb & Keffiyeh with nowhere to go. He manages to bury his face in Sophias bum at one point, no doubt using the dodging of bullets as his excuse.

4578821897_b266cb4b2a_o.jpgArabesque Clip by Ben Salter, on Flickr

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

The Viaduct and the other The Navigation, both a bit 'rough'.

Somehow I doubt they'll have been as rough as this one. An example for the rails in the road thread methinks.The tenuous link being that quite a few brand new 16 tonners ran down that bit of track on their first journey.

https://goo.gl/maps/5XyBYWf2Lbpgo8Yk8

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, westerner said:

Good to some minerals that still have plenty of grey on them and are not all rust, as I think too many are modelled.

Depends on the period being modelled, rampant rust is applicable sometimes, as always, observation is the key.

Mike.

18 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

But what is that van?

GWR type? Ex. Bloater?

18 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Palethorpe's sausages?

Well they're a type of tube...   :smile_mini2:

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

maybe a Pooley van

There is/was a a weighbridge marked on the OS maps right about there. The red brick building illuminated by the sun immediately to the left of the van an visible through the transit shed is the weigh-house  (I think).

Checking GWR Wagons (Atkins et al.) it could be a dia CC8 Tool & Packing Van. They had the same roof lights and lettering centrally placed. Page 494 is the place to be.

• Informative/Useful 1

I had dismissed this as a Continental ferry van, wrongly! But it is very long - I would suggest considerably longer than CC8 or even the Bloater etc. type. It does look like it might have the roof lights that are on some of the bogie tool vans but it isn't at all obvious what Tool van it might be. 

Paul

Putting my pennyworth in here; for what it’s worth is that I’m with Porcy on this one. 

Looking at the van at the largest size the lappy will manage, it has the same pattern of bodywork as the CC8, i.e. (from left) Panel with diagonal bracing, pair of framed doors with bracing, two panels without bracing, pair of framed doors with bracing and a panel – although I will admit I can’t see the diagonal bracing that should be on this panel*.  The end framing matches that for CC8, as do the three roof lights, including the middle one being off-centre.

If it’s not the CC8, it’s a very close relative of same, derived I would suggest, from a Mink D just as the CC8 was.

Although it’s not a very exact comparison to be sure, the van doesn’t seem to be as long as, say, two of the 16T minerals also in the image.  The Mink D’s were 28’ 6” over headstocks; a pair of 16 tonners would be 36’ over the furthest headstocks.

Quite what the Stafford Road Tool Van was doing at the basin is another matter though!

* Which the CC8 does still has, as it’s survived to serve the Severn Valley Railway.

Regards

TMc

19/05/2021