Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

15 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ideal candidate for a burial at sea?

ISTR there were some 'kept' in the harbour at a scrapyard at one of the docks on the Scottish east coast, Inverkeithing?

Every time the tide came in, they went under...now if only someone has a photograph...

(Edit...had a dig around and this is as good as I can find)

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/59/838/

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

STR there were some 'kept' in the harbour at a scrapyard at one of the docks on the Scottish east coast, Inverkeithing?

and there was the, now preserved 16 tonner which was found when dredging the Boothstown Basin to turn it into the Bridgewater Marina. (Posted earlier but I like the occasional repeat).

BoothstownPenSm.jpg.77ca8ad4cfda9c073c9fce53c7b035fe.jpg

Anyhow Mr A Box should't thee be using your scanner rather than idly wearying your time away browsing through RMweb???

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

and there was the, now preserved 16 tonner which was found when dredging the Boothstown Basin to turn it into the Bridgewater Marina. (Posted earlier but I like the occasional repeat).

BoothstownPenSm.jpg.77ca8ad4cfda9c073c9fce53c7b035fe.jpg

Anyhow Mr A Box should't thee be using your scanner rather than idly wearying your time away browsing through RMweb???

An interesting picture in many ways.  Not sure exactly what the barges are (I can think of several options), but at least two of them seem to have taken an interesting warp.

Adrian

22 hours ago, Axlebox said:

ISTR there were some 'kept' in the harbour at a scrapyard at one of the docks on the Scottish east coast, Inverkeithing?

Every time the tide came in, they went under...now if only someone has a photograph...

(Edit...had a dig around and this is as good as I can find)

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/59/838/

Better?!

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/47/675/

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Not quite a whole wagon, but 2/3’s of MoT 36713 seen in 1952 in one of those annoying edge of the frame images…

SmugMug

My thanks to @KeithMacdonald for bringing this to wider attention (even he was interested in the locomotive rather than the wagon!).

MoT 36713 was built by ROF Dalmuir and registered in 1948, later BR Dia 1/102.

Reference

The 16-Ton Steel Mineral Wagon Part Two, Fidczuk P, Modellers Backtrack Vol 1, No 4, October/November 1991, pp 148-156

Regards

TMc

11/11/2021

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2021 at 23:53, watfordtmc said:

Not quite a whole wagon, but 2/3’s of MoT 36713 seen in 1952 in one of those annoying edge of the frame images…

SmugMug

My thanks to @KeithMacdonald for bringing this to wider attention (even he was interested in the locomotive rather than the wagon!).

Reference

The 16-Ton Steel Mineral Wagon Part Two, Fidczuk P, Modellers Backtrack Vol 1, No 4, October/November 1991, pp 148-156

Regards

TMc

11/11/2021

The loco is not carrying what became the regular Society tour headboard either.  Another interesting oddity to the image, but something easier to replicate than our standard one. Downloadable links for several scales at https://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/sls_headboards.htm. The black is the one still in use, the other two got used in Scotland and are preserved in our Library collection.

686583386_4mmSLSheadboardsmontage.jpg.a569b95059527bec1b08de0146723d9a.jpg

Edited by john new
Image(s) reloaded post site crash.

10 hours ago, watfordtmc said:

SmugMug

Reference

Regards

TMc

11/11/2021

Also a reminder that bauxite or red oxide was also to be seen on these early MoT mineral wagons as it was the finish used pre BR by the MoT - and there were tens of thousands of them. It will have lasted well into the mid 1950s. 

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I did a search and couldn't see these posted before, so hopefully they are new to the thread. Apologies if it is not.

The Tinsley film has quite a lot of 16 ton minerals, 60s I presume. In the Toton film below there are some in the distance, lots of wooden wagons, but that is from the 50s.

Tinsley.

Toton in the 50's.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Yes, they do tend to turn up in the edges of other photos: this one is still looking quite presentable around 1958:

Manchester Mariner

That is one of my pet annoyances with layouts depicting a certain age, over-weathered 16 ton mineral wagons. Yes they were candidates for early oblivion, but they weren't built rusted to death. Even well respected modellers have fallen foul of such misdemeanours!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That is one of my pet annoyances with layouts depicting a certain age, over-weathered 16 ton mineral wagons.

My layout can be run over a period c1956-60. I have a selection of 16T and 21T wagons varying from pristine to full grot. If all locos running are in the early emblem style then coal trains have a large proportion of wooden wagons and new or lightly weathered steel ones. By the end of the time frame its an occasional wooden one and more weathering. 

• Like 2