Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

Been playing around with the wagons from the Bachmann 37-235 'Set of Mineral Wagons BR Grey (Weathered); sorted out the brake gear inconsistencies and added door outlines to the interiors. Have weathered the interiors and undeframes but not done anything to the outsides of the bodies as yet.

post-31-0-80684400-1339330164.jpg

post-31-0-18784900-1339330193.jpg

• Like 13

I was just thinking the other day that for a thread subtitled 'How realistic are yours' we'd gone a bit too over to prototype pics and not enough of the models, so it's good to see a bit of balance returning. No problem with what Michael is doing here I should say - it's creating a fantastic resource and it's stimulated some interesting conversations along the way. I've got a new batch of N gauge examples to post up sometime, once I get the layout out for posing them.

That tarpaulined one is interesting, not only as a reference picture for how they were secured, but also the way the sleepers are devoid of ballast, ash or anything else.

I wonder what the branding said?

NOT TO BE USED FOR P WAY BALLAST OR OTHER ENGINEERS' MATERIALS (or something very much like that) - applied to these and SR 8-plank opens after the sideways opening doors had resulted in one or more incidents.

• Like 1

Highest 16 tonners in England?

Not the best quality video about but interesting all the same. The 16 tonners probably being used to transport Dursand from Parkhead quarries.

Interesting bit at approx 10 mins were a sheepgate bars the way of the Q6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja7qFqcrUao&feature=channel&list=UL

And nothing to do with 16 tonners but interesting shunting methods with 13 ton hoppers at 9' 11" on this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8pHV2uauI&feature=BFa&list=ULu-8pHV2uauI

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

I've always enjoyed this thread.

I am especially grateful for the internal shots (esp. "The Ladykillers" ones). Would you mind if I shared this with you? It's a work in progress - recent progress: full ahead slow.

Basically, it's a good old 108. A Bachmann body on Bill Bedford underpinnings, with Ultrascale P4 feet and MJT axleboxes and springs. All joints are soldered - except the MJT buffer housings which are glued.

I was mightily impressed with Bill's design for the chassis: any failures evident (and I can see several now!) are a consequence of poor eyesight, a natural tendency to shaking while concentrating (I must remember to breathe when I do this) and a passing avian agressor that managed to make its leavings look similar to solder. The brake levers took some tweaking; having measured, compared and stuffed up a couple, I did it by eye in the end. You could say that the wheels be holed, but the levers bespoke :).

You can see that I've started - thanks to the afore-mentioned filmic reference and the wonderful http://paulbartlett....o.com/brmineral pages - to represent the doors on the insides of the Bachmann body, too. By the way, I can heartily recommend the Print facility.

Anyway, I thought I'd put it here. I hope it's OK.

post-6797-0-85776800-1339530021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jan
  • Like 11

Anyway, I thought I'd put it here. I hope it's OK.

of course it is, thats what the thread is about, the prototype shots for inspiration and interest,

the model shots for the same, they both go hand in hand.

great work on the chassis, be nice to see more shots.

Apologies for being 8.5 tons over the limit again,

the larger cousins are welcome too :) superb work.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for being 8.5 tons over the limit again, but I couldn't resist this shot whilst making a rare visit to the club this evening

No doubt the younger Mr Grice will be thinking dark thoughts about the silly b****r who neglected to check for bottom doors on this delivery.

WOW!

In this heavily intensive prototype thread, (with my mouse wheel scroll stopping half way down your photo), I just studied the photo and really liked it.

After scrolling down further I was stunned!

Kev.

I was mightily impressed with Bill's design for the chassis: any failures evident (and I can see several now!) are a consequence of poor eyesight, a natural tendency to shaking while concentrating (I must remember to breathe when I do this) and a passing avian agressor that managed to make its leavings look similar to solder. The brake levers took some tweaking; having measured, compared and stuffed up a couple, I did it by eye in the end. You could say that the wheels be holed, but the levers bespoke :).

Jan, it's lovely work and I hate to mention this but those pushrods are arranged the wrong way - they should slope downwards from right to left on that side of the wagon (assuming it's Morton braked, which the presence of the clutch would suggest).

Jan, it's lovely work and I hate to mention this but those pushrods are arranged the wrong way - they should slope downwards from right to left on that side of the wagon (assuming it's Morton braked, which the presence of the clutch would suggest).

Hi Pennine MC,

Gaaaaah! I knew it didn't look right.... Schoolboy Error #1 - Achieved :)

Ho hum.... it will be shopped in due course.... I'll leave the photo here just to warn people.

Thanks for your kind words (if not your eagle eyes! :) )

• Like 1

Gaaaaah! I knew it didn't look right.... Schoolboy Error #1 - Achieved

I wouldn't take it too hard, Jan. If your kit is the same as mine, then the brake blocks and pushrods have a plain side and a detailed side. When you, naturally, fit them with the detail showing, they are the wrong way round.

Somewhere I have a similar wagon and need to find the courage to unsolder it one day.

It's more of a design flaw in the etching, IMHO, but it does show that you can't trust anything when building a kit. Ho hum.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take it too hard, Jan. If your kit is the same as mine, then the brake blocks and pushrods have a plain side and a detailed side. When you, naturally, fit them with the detail showing, they are the wrong way round.

Somewhere I have a similar wagon and need to find the courage to unsolder it one day.

It's more of a design flaw in the etching, IMHO, but it does show that you can't trust anything when building a kit. Ho hum.

Ah... Grazie mille, James

Good to hear that better men than I have been bamboozled by the lack of instructions*.

*To anyone out the reading this, I still consider it to be a good kit. Sure; any faux-pas (be it plain or compounded) is a hassle. But hassle with little bits of brass is welcome when compared with the fine powder of my self that remains after the daily grind. And the other benefit of this is that you get knowledge, and gain encouragement, from your fellow hobbyists.

To Infinity and Beyond!