Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
  • 4 months later...

I might be in the wrong thread with this one, but I’m sure the 16t mineral experts will put me right.

What is the first wagon in this train of iron ore tipplers?

Link to Niall Jordan’s photo on Flickr:

CAI296-NBLG.24759-1942, Class 8F-A, No.48186, (Shed No.18A, Toton), at Killamarsh Branch Junction, approaching Killamarsh West Station-26-02-1964

It looks like a 16t, except that it has a tiebar between the axleboxes. It’s pale coloured so probably unfitted. The photo date is 1964 which I think pre-dates most of the rebuild programmes. 

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

I might be in the wrong thread with this one, but I’m sure the 16t mineral experts will put me right.

CAI296-NBLG.24759-1942, Class 8F-A, No.48186, (Shed No.18A, Toton), at Killamarsh Branch Junction, approaching Killamarsh West Station-26-02-1964

It looks like a 16t, except that it has a tiebar between the axleboxes. It’s pale coloured so probably unfitted. The photo date is 1964 which I think pre-dates most of the rebuild programmes. 

Cheers,

Mol

Not sure about a tiebar. I think what you are seeing is the far rail of the track that the train is on.

Andrew

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Cheers,

Mol

It looks like it is probably one of the LMS 27ton ones built for iron ore with the same body as a 16 ton mineral it appears to have the reversing link on the handbrake lever and also roller bearings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

It looks like it is probably one of the LMS 27ton ones built for iron ore with the same body as a 16 ton mineral it appears to have the reversing link on the handbrake lever and also roller bearings.

Many thanks Mark. I was wondering if it might one of those LMS wagons, not so commonly seen in photos. 
in which case it doesn’t really belong in the 16t minerals thread, but perhaps useful as an example of something that looks like a 16t mineral but isn’t. 
cheers,

Mol

13 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Cheers,

Mol

Could that first wagon be one of  the ex-LMS 27-tonnners, which were 16-tonners with heavier springs and journals?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2023 at 05:37, Mark Saunders said:

21 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Could that first wagon be one of  the ex-LMS 27-tonnners, which were 16-tonners with heavier springs and journals?

There's a bad echo in here Brian!!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...

Just drawing attention to this current issue of Backtrack (Apr 2024), which contains the quite well known John Spencer Gills image of Banstead Goods Yard (Epsom Downs branch) on 24/05/1963.

Image shows three 16t minerals, including LNER Dia 188 mineral E272920 (Cambrian).  Some replating evident and welded side

door visible, along with one LNE and one BR axlebox.

Refs

Backtrack April 2024, vol 38 no 4 issue 396, p 211.

LNER Wagons 4A. Tatlow P, Wild Swan Publications (Didcot) 2012.  P70-74 for discussion on steel mineral wagons.

Regards

TMc

22/03/2024

• Like 1

To lay planks across so that wagons could be unloaded from sidings further out ............. sounds daft but I'm sure I've see a photo somewhere .......... referred to as the "London" flap ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

To lay planks across so that wagons could be unloaded from sidings further out ............. sounds daft but I'm sure I've see a photo somewhere .......... referred to as the "London" flap ??

That may have happened, but as I understand it, the flap, the presence of which severely weakened the structural integrity of the wagon, was an early example of health and safety, and/or labour pressure. As the height of coal wagons increased in the Edwardian era, the workers employed in London to unload the wagons objected to having to lift the coal over the higher sides, and, to appease them, the flap was introduced to reduce the height accordingly to something like that of the five or six plank wagons they were used to. Perhaps labourers north of Watford were made of stronger stuff, or were less organised.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

That may have happened, but as I understand it, the flap, the presence of which severely weakened the structural integrity of the wagon, was an early example of health and safety, and/or labour pressure. As the height of coal wagons increased in the Edwardian era, the workers employed in London to unload the wagons objected to having to lift the coal over the higher sides, and, to appease them, the flap was introduced to reduce the height accordingly to something like that of the five or six plank wagons they were used to. Perhaps labourers north of Watford were made of stronger stuff, or were less organised.

Going back to wooden bodied private owner wagons some had the "London Plank" where the height of the top plank was lowered, just on the section above the side door, to the agreed maximum height. Other wagons had cupboard doors, either just in the top plank or in all the planks above the side doors. 

Source book "The Acquired Wagons of British Railways Volume 3" by David Larkin.

Andrew  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1