Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

The brake van is interesting. Its cleanliness is most likely due to extensive repairs to the cabin.

Enlarging the picture shows it seems to be a "CAP" vac-piped b/van with r/b's and the side would appear to be plywood - I know certain b/vans were so fitted.

Great pictures - what we have lost since those days - it'll be a buddliea infested wasteland with one track running through it today (if it's even still a railway).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonder how it rusted like that!

Now if you modelled that, no doubt someone would say "Vertical, it must be vertical!"

Anyone any ideas?

Due to the steel plates not being kept in ideal conditions, this effect can happen when storage has been vertical, (say up against a wall), and rainwater has run down them and created initial rusting, and the plates have been welded on horizontally. Also, if the plate was at the bottom of a pile and other plates have been dragged across it when removed. Remember that rust proofing was minimal, a quick wire brush and a coat of wagon colour, job done.

Mike.

• Like 2

The Chalk Tipplers/ Iron Ore Tipplers would have been going to the cement works on the Rugby- Leamington Spa line (Southam?)- they came up loaded from Tring, I believe. A change to see something not weathered in shades of brown and black.

That would probably have been from the quarries between Tring and Cheddington at Pitstone. The quarries were rail connected and some track remained until fairly recently but no longer connected to the WCML.

Bernard

Once again unusual to see three ex PO wooden minerals at this late date. The unfitted open merchandise in coal traffic is not so unusual at this stage, I remember quite a number being used in this way on the SR in the earlier 1960s - I think this was 'specially so in the bad winer of 62-63 when mineral wagons were in short supply.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 3

Another hoary old modelling cliché there - figure looking out from rear veranda of Airfix brakevan.

Ah but, it's not just any old brake van, it's a brake van with the second type of Dowty hydraulic buffers, screw couplings and the joggled handrails on the end platform.

Am I in danger of becoming a buffer bore???? :beee:

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah but, it's not just any old brake van, it's a brake van with the second type of Dowty hydraulic buffers, screw couplings and the joggled handrails on the end platform.

Am I in danger of becoming a buffer bore???? :beee:

Dave Franks.

Never!

Mike.

(BTW I think the handrail has been trampled on, the other one is straight. Am I becoming etc etc.)

Never!

Mike.

(BTW I think the handrail has been trampled on, the other one is straight. Am I becoming etc etc.)

Ah ha, got you, :beee: no the handrails on this lot were joggled out to lye on the outside of the upright , later lots were fixed onto the 'front and centre' of the upright as per the usual. 'Porcy Main' could maybe re-post his photo of one.

Dave Franks

Edited by davefrk