Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

A question for the 16T experts...

I've just got my hands on a Bachmann slope side 16T wagon and it comes with split spoke wheels.  The wagon needs re-gauging for my needs but would the split spoke wheels be appropriate for a late 50s early 60s wagon or would it have had 3 hole wheels by then?

12 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Dave Larkin went through the number blocks allocated to the different types of wagon in his last book.   Does the 'B' prefix here (although the wagon predates BR) indicate an ex-MOS slope sider?

The early B prefixed minerals are former Ministry of War Transport wagons that simply had a B prefix added to the ministry number and as such predate nationalisation!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johndon said:

A question for the 16T experts...

I've just got my hands on a Bachmann slope side 16T wagon and it comes with split spoke wheels.  The wagon needs re-gauging for my needs but would the split spoke wheels be appropriate for a late 50s early 60s wagon or would it have had 3 hole wheels by then?

No reason why not, the Stewarts and Lloyds tippler that are the doorless version and built at the same time, retained theirs till withdrawal when Corby Steelworks closed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A Peckett with 16 tonners runs through Sheep Dip.

Rob. 

20200326_081452-01.jpeg

20200327_080242-02.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 19/03/2020 at 11:19, dvdlcs said:

Low numbered wagon. Not sure I've seen a four digit 16 tonner before. Five digits, definitely.

Bachmann 37-425A looks very much like that wagon, having identical pressed steel doors. It is numbered B8707.

I can see no reason why they should use an incorrect number intentionally.

1 hour ago, Riddles said:

Bachmann 37-425A looks very much like that wagon, having identical pressed steel doors. It is numbered B8707.

I can see no reason why they should use an incorrect number intentionally.

There were thousands of them https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brslopesidemineral

See Fidczuk, Peter. (1991) Modellers Backtrack vol. 1 (part 3) pp 124 - 133. and (part 4) pp 148 - 156.

Paul

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

B8707 was built sometime between 1944 and 1947 as one of 1779 wagons to Diagram 1/100, built by Charles Roberts, originally registered by the LMS.

Info from 'An Illustrated History of British Railways Revenue Wagons'

As I say on the description of my photo collection I wrote lots of mistakes about these which Peter F sorted out when he published the Backtrack article. However, perhaps more definitive is the recently available

Larkin, David (2019) The Acquired wagons of British Railways. Volume 2 All-steel mineral wagons and loco coal wagons. Crecy Publishing Ltd. 152 pages. ISBN 978-0-86093-694-7 144 pages  See chapter 9.

The lowest number appears to be B3002.

An essential read for anyone following this topic.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Bachmann’s later unweathered grey mineral wagons such as 37-225g seem to be rare at the minute. 

So a load of Parkside ones ordered to build during this quiet period.

Have you now got a selection box now and have to decide which one to build first?

• Agree 1

On 30/03/2020 at 20:06, Mark Saunders said:

Have you now got a selection box now and have to decide which one to build first?

If you want a bit of variety, Michael, you could try some of the Cambrian LMS ones, which can be used to replicate the re-bodied 1/108 type, provided you only have brake shoes on one side.