Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Modellable or what?!

Mike.

I like the flat-relief build painted on the side of the warehouse!

Kev. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Thanks, and it is entirely possible that I have missed something about brake arrangements in this long and excellent thread.

I have followed the “brake gear and Morton clutch on the side with end door to the left” rule for as-built wagons, based on Peter Totman’s MRJ articles from way back. I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure this is consistent with most photos I have seen. 

Edited by RichardClayton
Edited to correct spelling
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, RichardClayton said:

The hybrid Airfix/Parkside mineral wagon last seen on the previous page has acquired paint and transfers. After a few moments of frustration with white stripe decals, I decided that masking tape and blobby Tamiya white was the way to go.

F7E858BA-3A92-408C-8F8E-5BA58824A2CC.jpeg.6f281f8aad8b9f85f8531e7d8bf2a219.jpeg

And here is a riveted cousin. Pure Parkside. Whoops, just noticed the lack of buffers ...

AB76F89E-0F5B-47C6-9E0A-30A42A50D0EE.jpeg.4543386dd4aa95b1596747a7ed139996.jpeg

Very nice wagons, the weathering looks great. How did you get that,have you got a thread anywhere? 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

On the wagon half in/half out the shot is that where a repair plate has been added (welded on?) or a diagram build that had that extra framing? Not something I have consciously noticed before but the two tones in the grey suggests a patch repair and partial repaint of the new panel only.

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Very nice wagons, the weathering looks great. How did you get that,have you got a thread anywhere? 

The weathering technique is entirely traditional, and I claim no novelty whatsoever -- Halfords grey primer, paint with grey acrylic, leave to dry, apply a layer of dirt in enamels (Humbrol black, chocolate 98, and leather 62), leave to dry for a couple of hours, and then scrub off with a cotton bud dampened in thinners to get a flaking paint effect. Pick off all the cotton threads that get stuck everywhere, especially on rivets, and add some rusty highlights.

If you go to http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb175.html and scroll down a bit then there are some much better examples of weathered mineral wagons produced by Pete Johnson, I think the rust colour on these wagons is spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, john new said:

On the wagon half in/half out the shot is that where a repair plate has been added (welded on?) or a diagram build that had that extra framing? Not something I have consciously noticed before but the two tones in the grey suggests a patch repair and partial repaint of the new panel only.

Replacing the lower part of the sides was common, frequently not being painted at all https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/e2d29e405

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld/e204ef9db

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, RichardClayton said:

The weathering technique is entirely traditional, and I claim no novelty whatsoever -- Halfords grey primer, paint with grey acrylic, leave to dry, apply a layer of dirt in enamels (Humbrol black, chocolate 98, and leather 62), leave to dry for a couple of hours, and then scrub off with a cotton bud dampened in thinners to get a flaking paint effect. Pick off all the cotton threads that get stuck everywhere, especially on rivets, and add some rusty highlights.

If you go to http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb175.html and scroll down a bit then there are some much better examples of weathered mineral wagons produced by Pete Johnson, I think the rust colour on these wagons is spot on.

I like that website, there is some really inspiring stuff there! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/49604291872/in/faves-55932401@N04/

...Jarrow April 1970 from Graeme Philips Flickr (with a rather nicely painted LNER hopper) 

Hi Axlebox

The hopper is a new body on an old underframe.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

8F 48344 struggles upgrade with a mineral train in the Peak District

Peak District (no further details)

Are we sure that is in the Peak District? Looks a lot like the line up to Standedge from Huddersfield.

Edited by john new
Cut back to the single image in the quote.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Metr0Land said:

That's what the original photter has put (click on the picture). 

Hence raising the query to see if anyone does recognise where it actually is rather than the generic description given (even if that does turnout to be somewhere in the Peak District).

16 minutes ago, john new said:

Are we sure that is in the Peak District? Looks a lot like the line up to Standedge from Huddersfield.

Could be  the Midland's Manchester/Sheffield route in the Gowhole area, near Buxworth Junction ? There's a photo in Scenes from the Past 16/2, Cheadle Heath to Chinley (E.M.Johnson, Foxline 1992) that appears to be taken from the same location, slightly higher up. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1