Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Photo by Derek Brook from the Bishopsgate Institute archive.

The railway Tavern, Commercial Road, Limehouse.

Bernard

36.jpg.cb20c6b58dcfbd269ab706928d5dc1d8.jpg

Love that photo, I've delivered beer to that pub many a time through the 80's-90's I wonder if it's still there? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Love that photo, I've delivered beer to that pub many a time through the 80's-90's I wonder if it's still there? 

In normal times I lead historical walks mainly in East London.

That explains why I post photos of the area in various topics.

It immediately struck me as being of interest for readers of this thread.

It would seem that it was demolished in Nov 1989 while building the Limehouse Link Tunnel so your dates are slightly out. That also explains why I do not remember seeing it.

Bernard

38 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

It would seem that it was demolished in Nov 1989 while building the Limehouse Link Tunnel so your dates are slightly out. That also explains why I do not remember seeing it.

Must have been rebuilt in a slightly different style then. According to  OS maps this is the building  (Pub) that stands today on the site of the Railway Tavern at the junction of Commercial Road with Becksbourne Street .

https://goo.gl/maps/edJpkWp5meVCaLkLA

I guess the approx. date of the archive photo could be estimated by finding out the dates of the removal of the second bridge and it's replacement.

P

16 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Must have been rebuilt in a slightly different style then. According to  OS maps this is the building  (Pub) that stands today on the site of the Railway Tavern at the junction of Commercial Road with Becksbourne Street .

https://goo.gl/maps/edJpkWp5meVCaLkLA

I guess the approx. date of the archive photo could be estimated by finding out the dates of the removal of the second bridge and it's replacement.

P

Same pub name but wrong building. I know that one and it is a bit nearer to Shadwell 

It gets confusing round that way with similar names and places that seem to have moved.

Including the station. The DLR names might often be the same as the original names but are often not at the same location.

Bernard

27 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Same pub name but wrong building.

Ha, I see. What you meant to say was it's "Charlie Browns", not on Commercial Road but on West India Dock Road  (Junction with Garford Street)  The Railway Tavern in Poplar, the one in your phot was mainly referred to as, "Charlie Browns".

Both Railway Taverns pictured on this page.

Didn't see Baps Windsor in any of the pics.  (Sparra's Can't Sing).

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2016/11/29/the-alphabet-of-lost-pubs-q-r/

Confusing, these 16t minerals, innit.

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Ha, I see. What you meant to say was it's "Charlie Browns", not on Commercial Road but on West India Dock Road  (Junction with Garford Street)  The Railway Tavern in Poplar, the one in your phot was mainly referred to as, "Charlie Browns".

Both Railway Taverns pictured on this page.

Didn't see Baps Windsor in any of the pics.  (Sparra's Can't Sing).

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2016/11/29/the-alphabet-of-lost-pubs-q-r/

Confusing, these 16t minerals, innit.

You got it. I used the original caption and that was wrong. Fool me for trusting a usually highly accurate source.

You quote Spitalfields Life. The chap behind that is a good friend of mine. I know him by his real name and my name appears in some of his books.

Photo of the entrance to the street in the film of Sparra's. I posted this in another topic so sorry to those who have seen it.

I did say hallo to Babs once in Regent's Park.

The date of the wagon photo must be early 1960s as that was when the photographer was in London.

Bernard

sp.jpg.7cb374f7fe9745c9b81bd1707fe19942.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

In normal times I lead historical walks mainly in East London.

That explains why I post photos of the area in various topics.

It immediately struck me as being of interest for readers of this thread.

Bernard

Ok, thanks Bernard. I had a look at the google pic and it's definitely that one. They do look so similar! 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

You got it. I used the original caption and that was wrong. Fool me for trusting a usually highly accurate source.

You quote Spitalfields Life. The chap behind that is a good friend of mine. I know him by his real name and my name appears in some of his books.

Photo of the entrance to the street in the film of Sparra's. I posted this in another topic so sorry to those who have seen it.

The date of the wagon photo must be early 1960s as that was when the photographer was in London.

Bernard

He ain't never gonna get them ladders through there that way on!

Mike.

• Funny 4

15 hours ago, SM42 said:

Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a jinty that will be no use to me whatsoever?

Any

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW026639

...a gas works, a brewery and this rack of sidings. There's a rather nice model to be made along the Chesterfield gas works branch. The more you look the more you find.

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 03:21, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard

The presence of a Vauxhall PB Cresta (or possibly Velox, I'm not familiar with the visual differences) puts the wagon photo as 1962 or later.

• RMweb Gold

15372714187_60d1a347e7_c.jpg61097 Cadwell (going away shot) by Gerard Fletcher, on Flickr

29394403584_876099159d_c.jpgscan0356 by Ben Hope1, on Flickr - Frances Colliery Dysart

31522717097_d7013843dc_c.jpgTender first, 76xxx  Dunham Massey, School Lane Rd br Broadheath the nearest post code is WA14 5RW by Keir Faulkner, on Flickr

32980327662_8c1270ea9c_c.jpgAGECROFT by Keir Faulkner, on Flickr

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 19