Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

(the photo is of the lamp lying on the floor really!)

and ya finger :)

but its an interesting shot, I think if they are for the coal export its quite late date, although there is a shot of some in the distance of Garston church road in an ilustrated history of Liverpool's railways by Paul Bolger which I think is around the same date.

Edited by michael delamar

The 'MCO' on the IU site is a bit of a daft description really as none of the French ones survived to carry that code. The one at Ludborough is AFAIK one of a pair, the doors were most likely removed by BTP (British Titan Products) of Grimsby when the wagon was acquired for the infrequent flow of ilmenite from Immingham. The flow later used tipplers built on 35t tank underframes and was one of the last two unfitted freight flows on BR.

[... What I've noticed is that even though they're different, for the era I'm modelling approx 58-65 there is a sort of uniformity in the weathering. An occaisional 'fresh' one looks ok, but a really knackered one. and there were a few, looks odd amongst the fleet.

I know what you mean here Paul, though to me the overall-rusted one would blend in more than a cleanish one, as that's a hard look to pull off. There is indeed a homogenity though in the 'typical' 1960s ones - they will obviously differ from each other in terms of shape, size and amount of rust flakes/patches, but there are certain wear points that go first maybe 80% of the time. In later periods, changes in painting regimes and the greater incidence of body repairs produce more variation. I know it sounds initially daft because rust is rust, but I can often approximately age a picture by the appearance of steel minerals in it - a rake in the early '60s looks different from one in the late 60s, and a 1970s one different again.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

This is a remarkable photograph if genuinely Jan 1965 - two of the "SNCF" minerals (the only steel minerals easily seen)5 ex Private Trader type wooden minerals and an unfitted open merchandise (which in 1965 were commonly used for coal) and more of the same mix on the row behind! There is a steel mineral over the back, but looks like it has no top door, so an early one as well!

Paul Bartlett

This is a remarkable photograph if genuinely Jan 1965 - two of the "SNCF" minerals (the only steel minerals easily seen)

And of the two nearest cupboard door wagons, the furthest away has a much lighter interior.

Freshly painted???

Porcy

This is a remarkable photograph if genuinely Jan 1965 - two of the "SNCF" minerals (the only steel minerals easily seen)5 ex Private Trader type wooden minerals and an unfitted open merchandise (which in 1965 were commonly used for coal) and more of the same mix on the row behind!

TBH my first thought was that the date is correct, and that they're in store (or maybe 'one journey, loco coal' status?) - if it was an earlier date, you'd expect a more representative sample of steel wagons.

Edited by Pennine MC

• RMweb Gold

interesting shunting approx 1minute in.

I liked the driver's curtain on the Giesel-fitted loco!

The speed of some of the light engine movements puts paid to the notion that all such movements were made at an extreme crawl, to show off the advantages of a High Level gearbox! ;)

• Like 5

some being shunted at approx 3mins 30 in.

Interesting, the loco, if identified correctly, is reported elsewhere as being a Gateshead loco at that time - It was withdrawn in 30/3/1984. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=285&loco=40085

The train is an interesting mix of air and vacuum brake.

Also, I am surprised that none of the railway staff are wearing high viz vests. I know this wasn't usual for loco crew at that time, but shunters?

And it gets away at a fair old lick!

Paul Bartlett

Interesting, the loco, if identified correctly, is reported elsewhere as being a Gateshead loco at that time - It was withdrawn in 30/3/1984. http://www.brdatabas...=285&loco=40085

The train is an interesting mix of air and vacuum brake.

Also, I am surprised that none of the railway staff are wearing high viz vests. I know this wasn't usual for loco crew at that time, but shunters?

And it gets away at a fair old lick!

Paul Bartlett

On the Wirral, by 1983 the management were making a serious effort to get train crews and shunters to use Hi-viz vests but the majority were resisting.

In the signalbox trying to get one was like trying to get hold of hen's teeth, they were that hard to get. We usually scrounged them off the Per Way as each box should have had one in the Pilotman's SLW envelope.

At the time the Hi-viz vests of the Per Way or S & T were hardly Hi Viz as they were normally covered in plate oil, flange grease, etc!