Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Given the acknowledged minefield of batch numbers etc, I'm still going with Larkin, Volume 2. That has this as one of the batch built by Pressed Steel between January and July 1956 to Lot 2920. I'm after building one of these because - like this one - some of the Pressed Steel wagons had the reinforcing rib on the brake lever. Perhaps Paul Bartlett could advise of this ribbing was exclusive to Pressed Steel. It sounds like it should be bespoke to them....

I'm after building one of these because - like this one - some of the Pressed Steel wagons had the reinforcing rib on the brake lever. Perhaps Paul Bartlett could advise of this ribbing was exclusive to Pressed Steel. It sounds like it should be bespoke to them....

Lifes too short to worry about such things. Please, just simply reproduce what you see, there are thousands of photos to work from.

• Like 1

Lifes too short to worry about such things. Please, just simply reproduce what you see, there are thousands of photos to work from.

Yes. There are. And thanks to your site and the excellent print service, I have a few in my collection, and so I'm not worried. I was just looking for feedback... ho hum...

Thanks to Pennine MC for the PM!

Double stripe on 16 tonner next to engine... must have sneaked past the painting inspector.

Porcy

In the bad old days, prior to threads like this one, you used to see models with the stripe going to the top corner rather than to the top of the door panel.

I would speculate that they applied the original stripe incorrectly and added the correct one when it was noticed.

Would make a good model.

Bernard

I would speculate that they applied the original stripe incorrectly and added the correct one when it was noticed.

I think it was discussed earler in the thread following some pics with the stripe applied right up into the corner.

Your right about it being eminently "modelable". (I think we've just inveted a new word there). Just to hear some one say , "Tut, tut" never would have happened!

http://flic.kr/p/b7XEFr

Southbound Dolomite. Probably coming off the Cox Green branch and from Ford Quarry, Sunderland. 64833 was allocated to Sunderland shed in 1961 and you wouldn't get much southbound limestone/dolomite coming over Bob Jones viaduct in the background.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/37395-coronation-approaching-victoria-viaduct/

Porcy

I have had a look at the original and there is a much faded stripe just visible.

Hi Ernie,

Now you mention it, and I've put my glasses on, I think I can see the stripe. There Is also a rather cryptic link to a very large railway photographic archive (Non Digital) in that pic...

Fantastic pics of the freshly red leaded water cranes and assosiated water tanks in the same set.

Porcy

Someone got the lettering wrong on the Lawrence Hill examples, I think. 'MCV' covered those 16-tonners vac-fitted from new, with 8-shoe clasp brake-gear; those vehicles with 4-shoe Morton gear, converted from unfitted examples, were 'MXV'. The different code was to identify vehicles which were incompatible with unloading equipment at some locations (Goole Docks?)

Someone got the lettering wrong on the Lawrence Hill examples, I think. 'MCV' covered those 16-tonners vac-fitted from new, with 8-shoe clasp brake-gear; those vehicles with 4-shoe Morton gear, converted from unfitted examples, were 'MXV'. The different code was to identify vehicles which were incompatible with unloading equipment at some locations (Goole Docks?)

But not originally when they were all to be coded MCV.I don't know when MXV was introduced - no mention of it in the 5th edition TOPS coding book of October 1978. The earliest I appear to have photographed were in early 1982.

Paul Bartlett

But not originally when they were all to be coded MCV.I don't know when MXV was introduced - no mention of it in the 5th edition TOPS coding book of October 1978. The earliest I appear to have photographed were in early 1982.

Paul Bartlett

I think I saw the first examples in 1981; the two wagons in the photo seem to have had alterations made to the centre letter of the painted code. BTW, am I correct in thinking the two wagons shown have the bodies orientated in opposite directions?

Seaport city Liverpool by Martin Jenkins and Neil Cossons has an excellent series of shots of mineral wagons being unloaded at the high level coal railway Liverpool, the wagons and track base where lifted and tipped direct into ships holds by hydraulic cranes. coal was destined for Ireland.

a great book highly recommended.

post-27-0-74670000-1341516324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1