Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

What a marvellous old film.  I love the occ health and safety practices :D.  I assume it was made c1960 given the glimpse of the Brush 2 and the fact that the cars in the scrapyard look suspiciously like victims of the holocaust that followed the introduction of the MoT test round about then.

only Paul can say, there was nothing to say preserved ones could not be posted but we seem to have stayed away from them,  useful for measuring and seeing where bits go etc. but they are not much help for copying weathering, they look swelled as if they have been loaded with large stone, they are vacuum fitted ones painted incorrectly in grey as they should be brown and seem to be painted a much lighter shade than any shots we've seen in all the period photos.

Michael. Your explanation is perfect. I simply do not understand why these couldn't have been repainted and written as vacuum brake, the clasp brake either pre or post 1964 boxed style and the push brake examples post 1964, they would all have been suitable for both late steam and diesel operation. As it is they are simply wrong in all of the ways you explain.  

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Michael. Your explanation is perfect. I simply do not understand why these couldn't have been repainted and written as vacuum brake, the clasp brake either pre or post 1964 boxed style and the push brake examples post 1964, they would all have been suitable for both late steam and diesel operation. As it is they are simply wrong in all of the ways you explain.  

Paul

These wagons exist purely as a "windcutter" rake, homogenous to the GC main line, whilst to get up a perfect as built rake of 16 tonners would have been not worth the cost, I personally reckon these are good enough as they were bought at the end of their days and in late BR condition.

They're better than nowt.

Mike.

Mineral wagons loaded with scrap, 1min 25 and a few other glimpses later on..

and for those of you with televisions (I gave mine up years ago) tonights episode from "Look at Life" on BBC four is titled, "Road, Rail and Runways".

Makes me feel old as I can remember some of these been shown at the local cinema when I was  a kid.

Bet I feel older still after watching it on I Player...

Edit :Now on I Player @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b033664h/Britain_on_Film_Series_2_Road_Rail_and_Runways/

16 tonners at 07:38.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

and for those of you with televisions (I gave mine up years ago) tonights episode from "Look at Life" on BBC four is titled, "Road, Rail and Runways".

Makes me feel old as I can remember some of these been shown at the local cinema when I was  a kid.

Bet I feel older still after watching it on I Player...

P

Stop whingeing you old git you need a night doon the bruny(Brunswick) :jester:

• Like 1

Stop whingeing you old git you need a night doon the bruny(Brunswick) :jester:

I wish.

Can't even drink anymore... :(  I can count on both hands (Using each hand only once) the amount of booze  Ive had over the last 12 years. All that I have had, I've been in the company of the Rickster. He leads me astray. (At Model Railway shows.)

P

• Like 1

I wish.

Can't even drink anymore... :(  I can count on both hands (Using each hand only once) the amount of booze  Ive had over the last 12 years. All that I have had, I've been in the company of the Rickster. He leads me astray. (At Model Railway shows.)

P

I seem to remember you had at least one when Croft Depot was at "The Grand". Possibly twice upon it's second appearance. You were a happy bunny those weekends. :happy_mini:

Mike

I seem to remember you had at least one when Croft Depot was at "The Grand".

Ah ha… but what you can’t remember was me being so far out of the drinking habit I forgot to sup most of the stuff and it was still there on the table next to the “fishtank” the following morning. :rolleyes_mini: 

You were a happy bunny those weekends. :happy_mini:

Aren't I always? ... :drink_mini: 

P

...2.56...most dangerous thing I've seen in years...

Didn't look as bad as you riding one of your Triumphs or BSA's or your old mans driving come to think of it.

Good job the cameraman wasn't standing a few of yards to the left though. Still bet he had to change his undercrackers.

If they had to write a Risk assessment back then I wonder how it would have read? "Risk of rusty one ton metal block flying towards you (Speed about 80 mph) at approximately g**ley height. Precautions: Wear Cricket Box or similar."

P

Edited for spelling

Edited by Porcy Mane

I wish.

P

Oh that Ricky is a bad bad man, I now stay well out of his way. But that Duncan is a nice quiet boy, keep in with him. :stinker:

Hi Porcy,

Dave Franks

Oh that Ricky is a bad bad man, I now stay well out of his way. But that Duncan is a nice quiet boy, keep in with him. :stinker:

Hi Porcy,

Dave Franks

...thanks for that tongue in cheek compliment Mr Franks...I've almost made it to 50 and yet I'm still 'the boy'...

...anyway back to 16 tonners...

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/fws059.jpg

...more naff number painting from the 1960s.

Regards

Duncan

Isn't it just a four figure number, pB9515 or 9575 ? 

Nice spot.

Paul

This ones got me scratching my head a bit. The number looks like it could be B91575? but a Linwood built mineral with open W irons, Morton brake and no traders door. Seems unlikley?

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/Bernard%20Coomber/Mirfield%20Low%20Moor/A%20double%20headed%20freight%20train%20passes%20the%20bottom%20of%20Vine%20Street%20Cleckheaton%20heading%20towards%20Low%20Moor.jpg

Hello, P, everyone.

And spoked wheels? Excuse my 16T ignorance, but were any steel-bodied, BR-commissioned wagons specified with spoked wheels? Or would works simply use up stocks of such wheelsets, with the requisite journal size, left over from cancelled wooden-bodied orders? But then would the journal diameter of 10/12T wooden bodied wagons be the same as that for 16T steel-bodied versions? Or perhaps they were in-service replacements for original disc wheelsets?

So many questions, so little knowledge - sorry.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Gold

anyone know of shops doing offers on Bachmann ones? Hattons usually do a Megapack of wagons but dont with these, must be very popular

Same thing, different colour, which is a good basecoat for "salty rust" style of weathering.

http://www.ehattons.com/32873/Bachmann_Branchline_37_226F_Pack_of_4_16_ton_steel_mineral_wagon_with_top_flap_doors_in_BR_bauxite/StockDetail.aspx

You also get a set of vac brake gubbins chucked in.

Mike.

Edit. Would help if I put the link in :senile: .

Edited by Enterprisingwestern