Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

it took me by surpise walking past the point where Id always stop and watch 507's rush past to one day see a few wagons and a brake van stopped under the bridge,

after standing there for ages, my mum probably getting fed up lifting me up over the bridge for a better look, we went home and my dad took me to Aintree station to see the trains, 2 diesels I cant remember what they were, now parked in the old excursion platforms, my dad later recalled it was rare to see these wagons.

6491736849_a12232e557_b.jpg

47074 Aintree 1982 by MagLad, on Flickr

• Like 1

some more, I wish I could find some pics of the same train I seen around 1985-86ish.

ive seen plenty of spoil,ballast and track renewals on the section between Orrell Park and Aintree over the years, wonder if it has some drainage problem or maybe just because its used so much?

5951820924_d5d5e43f3d_b.jpg

40091 Aintree 24/04/83 by MagLad, on Flickr

6317650023_6ed8da54af_b.jpg

47280 Aintree 24/04/83 by MagLad, on Flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought that class 56 pic would be of interest even though its not a close shot of the wagons.

Jeff, i shall have a look around, I like a bit of a challenge :)

Thanks Michael. I guess I'm just being lazy, but thought you'd come up with something!

Jeff

Michael, forgive me if I've missed something - I have to admit I haven't scanned through the whole of the thread. But have you a source of pictures for minerals c. 1965 on the S&C ... iron ore or general quarry material, pulled by either green diesel or steam traction?

I thought it was worth asking as you seem to be a major shareholder in a goldmine of superb images!

Cheers,

Jeff

cant find any 16t mineral shots at the minute..

6781322147_c648d33012_b.jpg

Ais Gill by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

6350641139_347027f965_b.jpg

Ais Gill by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

6826134972_53efc3e9bb_b.jpg

Kirkby Stephen (?) by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

• Like 1

Were those holes edged in white for a reason? Surely not for rust protection!

I'd assume just to make them more visible to the loader, so that he knew he shouldnt try and do what he shouldnt have done ;-)

DB209736 coded ZHV.

That's an interesting one, one of the handful of 'gatecrashers' to the 1966-68 vac fitting programme which didnt come from the 560200 - 583299 batches

Consider your pics 'liked' EWD, but the proper function to do it is just taking too long to load up ATM :-(

But have you a source of pictures for minerals c. 1965 on the S&C ... iron ore or general quarry material, pulled by either green diesel or steam traction?

Jeff, I have seen shots of sheeted minerals on the S&C, but dont ask me where. Probably gypsum traffic, I think there was a works at Kirby Thore?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I have seen shots of sheeted minerals on the S&C, but dont ask me where. Probably gypsum traffic, I think there was a works at Kirby Thore?

Thanks Pennine. Yes, I sometimes drive through Kirby Thore on the A66. I think you are on the nail re. gypsum as there's been a British Gypsum plant there for a long time. I'm sure I've seen plenty of freight images taken on the S&C. I must try and dig them out!

Jeff

Anhydrite from Long Meg to ICI Billingham was a large source of sheeted mineral traffic. ICI Billingam had (Still have actually.) an anhydrite mine on site at Billingham but it couldn't meet demand. (It's currently part of a planning application to store low level hazardous waste, a previous application to store nuclear waste being unsuccessful.)

Porcy

EDIT

Found this following a quick giggle.

http://forums.auran....nhydrite-trains

And a further edit...

http://www.settleandcarlisle.co.uk/downloads/content/additional/files/Long%20Meg%20shunting_v5.pdf

this document reminded me of another traffic flow from Long Meg to Prudhoe. This till 1963, was another ICI fertilizer production plant.

I seem to remember Modern Railways ran a photo essay on rail traffic to the plant. I think these trains used 21 ton hoppers.

Scoll to page 4 on this web page:

http://prudhoe.journallive.co.uk/2009/05/prudhoe-nostalgia-gallery.html

and there is a pic of a MoT 16 tonner dated 1951. (Keeping it on topic...) :)

Edited by Porcy Mane

Here's an interesting comparison. Having another rummage around, I've found 2 photos of the same wagon a couple of years apart, which shows just a little more rust creeping through. Again at Queenborough, where you'd have thought the salty sea atmosphere might have done more damage.

Evidently it's been used internally by Queenborough Shipbreakers to move scrap around the site or to store it.

The first is in 1981 (or maybe 1980), the second is 30 October 1983:

B268475:

post-6971-0-66088200-1335380506.jpg

and a couple of years later:

post-6971-0-23563200-1335380504.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the S&C pics Michael. Two nice images. The only readily available S&C steam pic I could conjure up was from a Google scan ... an Ivatt 2-6-0 leaving Carlisle with a mix of freight, sometime in the 1960s. Hope the image isn't copyrighted!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-50880000-1335469994.jpg

• Like 1