bachmann 170 to 172/1 conversion

• RMweb Gold

here is my conversion of a Bachmann 170 into a class 172/1 unit which will be finished in chiltern livery, the conversion is basically a new set of windows and bogies.

the windows on the Bachmann unit are a ribbon type whereas the 172 has individual windows so i needed a new set of etches making which is where pete at PH Designs helped out, luckily with my contacts at work i managed to get a full set of dimensions and pictures of the real thing which i forwarded to pete who produced the etches for me, he also supplied me with a set of voyager bogies, i'll leave to pete to describe the ins and out of the etches as he soldered them up for me...

anyway onto the pics

08052011489.jpg

donor unit

o

08052011490.jpg

the main area of work, windows and bogies

08052011491.jpg

voyager bogies

08052011492.jpg

window etches

08052011493.jpg

small etch

08052011494.jpg

rear of etch showing recess for the glazing

08052011495.jpg

unit stripped down ready for the new bogies

08052011496.jpg

08052011497.jpg

wil post the rest of the pics later, struggling with the ipad keyboard, keep accidently using the back browser and losing my edited posts!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

and so to the rest of the pictures, back home now using a good old fashoned clickerty clackerty keyboard!!

08052011498.jpg

you can see the difference between the 170 and voyager bogies in this piccie, the wheel centres are different meaning the voyager bogies are somewhat smaller, i think the real things are the same too

08052011501.jpg

this is one of the trailing bogies, they needed a little bit taking off the mounting lug to be able to fit in the existing hole....

as can be seen here.....

08052011502.jpg

08052011503.jpg

mounted into the chassis

08052011504.jpg

side on view

08052011505.jpg

completed trailing chassis

08052011506.jpg

reunited with the body (with original windows)

08052011507.jpg

comparison between the bogies

next up was the power car, a little bit more work needed on this one, not much but enough!!

08052011509.jpg

here are the voyager bogies complete with towers which i needed to fit into the 170 chassis

08052011510.jpg

these are the removed 170 bogies, you can see the difference between the mountings

08052011511.jpg

the 170 bogies simply screw to the cast chassis, whereas the voyager bogies attach by a plastic lug to the chassis, therefore i needed to remove the plastic lug from the bogies leaving the locating pin proud, to get them to sit at the right height i needed to dremel away the raised locating lug from the chassis and ream out the hole a little bit, quite a simple job, only a couple of minutes work!!

08052011512.jpg

08052011513.jpg

08052011514.jpg

luckily the driveshafts are identical on both the 170 and voyager so they simply slotted in place

08052011516.jpg

the completed chassis (bar the exhaust!)

and so to the windows.......

08052011517.jpg

standard Bachmann ribbon windows

08052011518.jpg

simply held in place with tiny lugs, all i did was chop them off with a blade and the windows popped out

08052011519.jpg

body with the windows removed

08052011520.jpg

test fit of the etched windows

08052011521.jpg

another test fit

08052011522.jpg

loose fitted windows

08052011523.jpg

a few of the existing window frames will need to be cut back a little bit before i fix the brass panels in place

08052011524.jpg

bodywork comparison between the 170 and 172/1

08052011525.jpg

next up i will be the job of stripping the bodywork down ready for painting then fixing the windows in place before giving it a dusting of primer, luckily i will be able to glaze it once its painted

then i'll have to look at how to make the exhaust!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

just realised ive mounted the bogies the wrong way round on one of the coaches, simply need to turn them round on the mount, its not not too noticable but the a frame bracket is the opposite way round, they will be hid behind the exhaust anyway but i may as well do it right

the first coach is in the model strip as we speak, hopefully it will do the job, if it does the 2nd coach will get the same treatment tomorrow, if not its rubbing down with fine wet and dry and a fibreglass brush!!

i think i may well sound chip this one up too as i have decided to get rid of my 153 so the chip is now spare.

Hi Jim,

Great to see some up-to-date modern image modelling (as opposed to 'modern image' being used to refer to 1960s diesel locos). Surprised nobody else has commented yet!

I wonder if Bachmann will see how straightforward this conversion is and bring out a RTR Class 172? Presumably there are some other detail changes in addition to the bogies and windows.

Cheers,

Will

• Agree 1

Excellent project, looks really good!

If anyone wants to go variation-spotting i've detail shots of a LOROL one here as i've not seen one of either the LM or Chiltern ones yet - don't know whether the Chiltern ones will be different, do theirs have a toilet? The LM ones have a cab with a gangway which is an obvious difference!

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/DMUs/172006-London-Overground

• RMweb Gold

ive got a feeling my modelstrip may have gone off, one of the shells has been coated in it for a day and its not touched the print/paint!!

also another disaster, i put the chassis out of reach of small fingers only to have it fall off the shelf when a picture in a frame toppled over pushing it off the shelf, falling 5ft to the wood laminate floor, the bogies have been damaged a little bit, nothing that cant be fixed but im really annoyed by it, anyway day off today so i may well crack on with a bit more of it

ive got a feeling my modelstrip may have gone off, one of the shells has been coated in it for a day and its not touched the print/paint!!

also another disaster, i put the chassis out of reach of small fingers only to have it fall off the shelf when a picture in a frame toppled over pushing it off the shelf, falling 5ft to the wood laminate floor, the bogies have been damaged a little bit, nothing that cant be fixed but im really annoyed by it, anyway day off today so i may well crack on with a bit more of it

This Coversion looks very good Jim, sorry to hear about the mishap,typical the chasiss has to fall when youre in an advanced stage working on it, annoying when that happens, had something similar happen to a Hornby 31 chassis I had, although that was beyond repair! looking forward to seeing progress on this project! hope you get it fixed

NL

• RMweb Gold

really narked off, just spent ages updating this thread only for the computer to freeze, anyway i'll redo it tomorrow but here is the latest pic to whet your appetite

04357f03.png

looking pretty much like a 172 now

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

right lets try again....

so id got as far as loose fitting the windows, the next bit was actually fitting them up

the first thing i had to do was cut back some of the existing window frames so they didn't show behind the glass

IMG_1000000055.jpg

with the smaller panels i completly cut them away

IMG_1000000054.jpg

IMG_1000000056.jpg

i then glued the windows in place using a thin run of superglue

IMG_1000000057.jpg

then masked off the existing yellow ends and gave it a coat of primer (having rubbed the body down of course)

IMG_1000000059.jpg

i could then see where the gaps were showing so i rubbed it down a bit and filled them with miliput which i let cure then rubbed down some more

IMG_1000000061.jpg

once happy i gave the unit a coat of white

IMG_1000000062.jpg

again rubbed down any rough bits and touched up, still a couple of gaps but its going to be in a blue area

IMG_1000000105.jpg

once happy i masked it off ready for the blue

IMG_1000000108.jpg

which it duly got

094da959.jpg

once dry i demasked it to see how it came out, very happy with it, a few paint bleeds but nothing a touch up didn't sort out

04357f03.png

fd84bb0a.png

an ideal companion for my chiltern 165

5f49e582.jpg

next up was the doors, for this i had to remask the whole unit again as i needed to airbrush the blue as it fades out towards the top

36f1a554.jpg

f2e00ea7.jpg

a77cb6fa.jpg

onto the spraying

17fdd871.jpg

5fd75630.jpg

kitchen towel removed

072875ba.jpg

masking removed

c604253a.jpg

finished product including the rudimentary exhaust

cbe1fb29.jpg

i then added the red line using fox transfers

dec52940.jpg

starting to look very much like a chiltern unit now

16acacb6.jpg

i started to put the cantrail stripe on but it must have got damaged in storage as it started to break up once i touched it so i'll have to order some more

other jobs needing doing are another coat of (the correct shade) of yellow below the front window, yellow band above the disabled door, things like buttons painting in, chiltern decals (somehow!), numbers and finishing the exhaust.

then theres the glazing, pete has done it so i can cut the Bachmann glazing back to fit in the new frames but i might look at something different using "tinted" plasticard as it will be easier for me to cut to size and fit to the unit

oh and of course the 2nd coach!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice Jim, pity there weren't any around yesterday at Banbury :cry:

there should have been one knocking about, i was covering another drivers job when i flew past you yesterday as he should have been working the 172 test train (5z72) unless it was caped coz of the incident in wembley

• Like 1

really narked off, just spent ages updating this thread only for the computer to freeze,

Oh, the number of times I've done that... I now copy and paste my RMWeb entries into another document before pressing the 'go' button, just in case!

On a more positive note the 172 is looking impressive. Hurst Models used to do smoked glazing, you'll find them on the internet. The etched glazing units seem to stand ever so slightly proud of the bodyside, although this is barely noticeable once the filler and blue paint is applied, so perhaps if these etches are produced for other customers the brass could be a fraction thinner? Not a criticism, just friendly advice!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

i got the frames looking what i thought was flush but you cant really tell until you have primed it, as you say once the blue is on its not as noticable, thats why i have only done one car, i can learn from my mistakes, i did similar with the 165, the first one was totally dismantled where as the 2nd one was not, and it came out better

to be honest e real thing does have a seam along the top edge of the windows anyway, the bottom is however flush

IMG_1000000085.jpg

i may well paint the 2nd coach with an airbrush instead of aerosol too

Pete - Thanks for the photo and explanation. Great to see products like this on the market... maybe one day there will be as many 'bits and bobs' available for the modern image modeller as there are to modellers of steam and classic traction :)

Jim - Apologies, your photo of the real thing shows that I should have kept my mouth shut! I believe these bodysides are made from extruded aluminium, so rather than modify the extrusion for the Class 172s, Bombardier probably built their own version of the etched brass windows to replace the style of glazing used on the Class 170s, hence the visible seam.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

Hurst Models used to do smoked glazing, you'll find them on the internet.

just ordered some glazing from the hurst site as well as some cant rail stripes, also enquired about some custom decals for the units, he has done me custom decals in the past for an arriva unit i made so hopefully he may come up trumps for me

• RMweb Gold

simon, i used humbrol "french blue" on the model, its lighter than the blue on the Bachmann 168 but when i put the can next to the blue on a real unit it looked pretty damn close, closer than the Bachmann model infact

as well as the 168/0 im planning on doing the chiltern mk3 loco hauled set in its new colours complete with electric doors, im hoping to try and get some drawings for them at some point

• RMweb Gold

to compliment the 172 ive made a start on a class 168/0 unit, basically a cab swap on a Bachmann model with a Hornby networker....

5C4A55E6-orig.jpg

7C361811-orig.jpg

BB59B73A-orig.jpg

6CA3D77E-orig.jpg

0E99C487-orig.jpg

4CF4AE95-orig.jpg

61219174-orig.jpg

4D403574-orig.jpg

DC76276F-orig.jpg

hopefully the weight will help to bond the step to the body a bit better

i will need to file down the roof corners to get them a bit rounder where the Hornby cab meets the Bachmann body but its quite close so wont need much, then its paint the ends, fill in the light clusters etc and we're done

F7D2685F-orig.jpg

5309419B-orig.jpg

only other problem is the 168/0s are all 4 cars so ill have to try and get a spare centre car to add to the existing 3!

• Like 2

Nice work on the 172 and 168 Jim.

Have you considered an LM 172 as well? Maybe worth dropping a line to James of Wells Green TMD as he has been busy converting a 170 to a 377 - they key point being that he has created a resin moulding of the gangwayed cab...