American 'HO' Gauge - Los Angeles based

Guest jonte

Guest jonte

Ahh mutiny.

Good luck with the uk modelling.

Did you ever look through the late Carl arendts small layouts website you will find inspiration for a small Us layout there trust me. Don't rule anything out Jonte.

Regards

Dave.

I shaln't, Dave, believe you me.

Dear Mr. Arendt (may you rest in peace, sir) - I've spent countless hours, like so many others, delving through the electronic pages of his milestone journal. It's still in my favourites.

Haven't given up on LAJR quite yet, just didn't get the right feeling from this pile of timber. I want to go back to small and especially light, DIY stuff, using foamboard and thin ply, pursuaded into shapes more pleasing to the eye, and home made rail on PCB and simple sector plates using an off cut of wood swivelling on a screw, powered by the most basic of electrical connections (to match my basic knowledge of all things electrickery). I'm sure you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my woodwork, considering I've very little in the way of tools and am still unable to knock a nail in straight; but I just can't equate it to those awe inspiring little alleyways and dashes across side roads of industrial LA that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever I view those marvellous Google images.

I'll be back!!

Jonte Christian.

Guest jonte

When Jonte starts running those crappy UK models he'll soon have another change of heart!!!yes.gif

The Dark Side always beckons.............

Best, Pete.

PS Good luck with whatever you do!

Dearest Pete,

If there's something I've learned from all of this: I'm a Dark Sider through and through. With all those backwater shortlines merrily wending their ways through back alleyways and cutting through roadways, or cutting dusty tracks through fields and cross-crossing dirt tracks, how could anybody, even with the most fleeting of interests in railways, possibly resist?

More importantly, how could anybody turn their backs on a subject that has followers who I consider friends?

This pile of wood might be dead in the water; the idea is certainly alive and well.

Be back soon,

Jonte.

Guest jonte

Jonte - 2 things - once the dark-side digs its claws in, it never lets go - and I feel for you, I have been havering between layouts, and come to the conclusion that Canter is really too big - I can only do anything to it in the garage, and West Booley is still bubling quietly below the surface, but I am still not sure if it is too simple. At Perth there was a US city water tower that I havered for a while as to whether or not I should buy it, and eventually lefy it. Came home and had further thoughts about something on Carls site, and am doing a modified and extended version - all will be revealed when a couple more bits arrive.

Best wishes with your endeavours, pop in any time

Jack

Thanks for understanding, Jack. Reassuring to know that even the most dedicated of railroaders can have changes of heart occasionally. Thanks for all your generous support throughout my build, oh and BTW, the controller arrived at the beginning of the week. Look forward to trying it out soon.

Best wishes for now.

Jonte ;)

Thanks for understanding, Jack. Reassuring to know that even the most dedicated of railroaders can have changes of heart occasionally. Thanks for all your generous support throughout my build, oh and BTW, the controller arrived at the beginning of the week. Look forward to trying it out soon.

Best wishes for now.

Jonte ;)

Seriously - as a serial layout builder I really do understand your dillema - part of it is the GGS (" Greener Grass Syndrome"). I have just dismantled Canter and Fiddlestick Yard, and I suspect that 149th Sreet will be denuded of track this afternoon - that which can be salvaged will be - the rest will be duly delivered to the tip. West Booley still awaits further thunking about its potential for moving stuff around and its "replacement"" is sitting with all the track roughly positioned for progress when I can move in there!

Hi Jon,

I've followed your "first attempt" eagerly awaiting each new addition to the thread and each step forward with the project.

As you know, I have very eclectic tastes (as do lots of other members, I'm sure) and have all sorts of rolling stock just waiting for a new layout. I too have started several layouts with great ideas that have got so far and then . . . have stalled. In fact, our latest project "Once upon a time" has stalled on more than one occasion - but then Jack sends us some inspirational links and right now - the pies have arrived!

I think that it would be a real shame not to put something onto such a perfectly constructed diorama. You've made such a great start that whatever you decide to do, and I'm sure I speak for all those following your progress - we all want to watch it happen. Be it in south western California, or the south west of the U.K..

Good luck and as Prof Klyzir says - "Happy modelling".

All the best,

John

• RMweb Gold

I have also taken a recent step-back from US modelling - but I am a little luckier than some, because my HO layout was/is so large that I have managed to partition a 17' section for "other uses" without killing the whole thing - there is quite a lot left! Trisonic Pete's remark about UK stuff not running well was valid as far as I was concerned nearly 40 years ago when I first essayed US modelling, and probably fairly true 25 years ago when I was able to get back into it. But it ain't true now. The best of US and UK RTR models are all now made in China, and my Hornby T9s run really well, the Maunsells in Southern olive are off-the-scale gorgeous, and my Southern layout will be an operational success.

I have a bit of an investment in US kit - at least 60 or 70 locos, of which probably at least 30 have digital sound. I am not about to junk all that. But the prospect of modelling a UK favourite, in contrast to a slightly (?) more generic US layout made the choice easy. My US layout now acts as the storage sidings/fiddle yard for my Southern layout - and vice versa. The DCC system doesn't mind at all, and mixing Code 75 and 83 is easy.

Keep your US theme in mind, Jonte. The US has a certain appeal, and you will want to come back at some stage - but I also know that when a layout becomes a monster, the motivation dwindles rapidly - this is supposed to be fun!

Now then - what am I going to do with these French railcars the postman keeps delivering? Suggestions on a postcard, please, to ......

Guest jonte

Hi Jon,

I've followed your "first attempt" eagerly awaiting each new addition to the thread and each step forward with the project.

As you know, I have very eclectic tastes (as do lots of other members, I'm sure) and have all sorts of rolling stock just waiting for a new layout. I too have started several layouts with great ideas that have got so far and then . . . have stalled. In fact, our latest project "Once upon a time" has stalled on more than one occasion - but then Jack sends us some inspirational links and right now - the pies have arrived!

I think that it would be a real shame not to put something onto such a perfectly constructed diorama. You've made such a great start that whatever you decide to do, and I'm sure I speak for all those following your progress - we all want to watch it happen. Be it in south western California, or the south west of the U.K..

Good luck and as Prof Klyzir says - "Happy modelling".

All the best,

John

Hi John

It's great to hear from you and thanks for your support; it really means a lot to me.

Thought it was just me but it would appear from your goodself and several other friends in the group who've taken time to write, that fickleness is part of the railway modeller's condition! At least now I have something in common with all you old hands.

I'm also flattered to read that some of you actually enjoyed my humble efforts to date, which has made me more determined than ever to complete the project; in whatever form it eventually takes. Talking of which, I've decided to indulge myself and create that small country station with passing loop, I hinted at. Like Treneglos, it'll be a former LSWR line under BR ownership towards the end of steam, but situated due east in rural Hampshire. If you haven't seen it, John, it's on the main 'Layout Topics' page and you'll find it under the title of 'Harpford 'OO' gauge. Surprisingly, it's already generated some interest. Only problem is that I didn't bother to mention the 'newbie' bit this time, so I hope I haven't built up anybody's hopes. When all's said and done, I suppose, all that really matters is that we enjoy ourselves in the process as the Prof. advocates.

So far I have, and also enjoyed the friendship of kind and like minded souls such as yourself, John, to boot. Leaves nothing more to be said.

Enjoy the Members' Day.

Jon

Guest jonte

I have also taken a recent step-back from US modelling - but I am a little luckier than some, because my HO layout was/is so large that I have managed to partition a 17' section for "other uses" without killing the whole thing - there is quite a lot left! Trisonic Pete's remark about UK stuff not running well was valid as far as I was concerned nearly 40 years ago when I first essayed US modelling, and probably fairly true 25 years ago when I was able to get back into it. But it ain't true now. The best of US and UK RTR models are all now made in China, and my Hornby T9s run really well, the Maunsells in Southern olive are off-the-scale gorgeous, and my Southern layout will be an operational success.

I have a bit of an investment in US kit - at least 60 or 70 locos, of which probably at least 30 have digital sound. I am not about to junk all that. But the prospect of modelling a UK favourite, in contrast to a slightly (?) more generic US layout made the choice easy. My US layout now acts as the storage sidings/fiddle yard for my Southern layout - and vice versa. The DCC system doesn't mind at all, and mixing Code 75 and 83 is easy.

Keep your US theme in mind, Jonte. The US has a certain appeal, and you will want to come back at some stage - but I also know that when a layout becomes a monster, the motivation dwindles rapidly - this is supposed to be fun!

Now then - what am I going to do with these French railcars the postman keeps delivering? Suggestions on a postcard, please, to ......

There seems to be a pattern forming here, Ian......a common interest in the (Britsh) Southern region and a passion for US railroads....now where have I heard that before? :lol:

As I've said to Jack and John, it's reassuring to know that we all have 'doubts' about our modelling directions from time to time. In fact, speaking of France, I recall several years ago returning from a family summer holiday, with an uncontrollable urge to build a country station building with rendered walls and feature brick surrounds around windows and doors!!! This recently came to mind after looking at photos on the web of that masterpiece 'Pempoul' by Gordon and Maggie Gravett. I think the word is incorrigible.

Thanks again for pointing me in the directions of the Southern and S&D Railway Groups.

Jon

PS.......you don't look old enough to have been interested in railways 40 years ago ;)

Guest jonte

Hi All

It's interesting to note that after my recent change of heart, several have mentioned that once the Dark Side has you in it's grip, there's no escape! Well, funnily enuff, today I decided to buy a copy of the latest edition of Railway Modeller, in which appears an article by a chap who's short on space and time so decided to build a 'micro' layout influenced by one in the many pages of Mr. Arendts wonderful website that was mentioned in an earlier post. Simple wasn't the word: a single manually operated Peco point, two short sidings, a motley collection of 'structures' and an even motlier collection of rolling stock - no offence intended - languishing in several old box files linked by simple hinges with removeable pins, a couple of lengths of 'two by ones' masquerading as a traverser-######-cassette, utilising the simplest of home made bolt connectors and a couple of chocolate block connectors (which even I could manage to wire up) posing as an electrical system. Oh yes, and did I also mention the unlimited amount of fun he gleans from it?

Eureka!!

Immediately, thoughts returned to Downtown Los Angeles with those myriad of alleyways and simple single storey buildings, half buried ties and road crossings, and of course, freedom from the stress of endless woodworking and satisfactory lighting and wiring and lifting and....................... !

I even lost the plot for a moment and considered chopping up the rolling stock to keep the sidings and the layout length as short as possible. Well you know how long American rolling stock is; ridiculous isn't it?

But you're right. It never really goes away.

BTW, has anybody actually shortened their 'cars' and got away with it?

See what I mean :lol:

Jonte

Jon - if you want to go down that route, look into On30(although the different scale means bigger cars) or HOn3 or HOn30 where to some extent the "backwoods" boys built what they needed - but then it really is a case of kit, or scratch, building. OTOH, you could go back in time, when most of the stock were shorties of around 26' - 30'

Jack

Guest jonte

Jon - if you want to go down that route, look into On30(although the different scale means bigger cars) or HOn3 or HOn30 where to some extent the "backwoods" boys built what they needed - but then it really is a case of kit, or scratch, building. OTOH, you could go back in time, when most of the stock were shorties of around 26' - 30'

Jack

Great idea, Jack, thanks!! Have admired some really quaint models in these scales, most recently in my online magazine.

Only thing is, I'm really keen on respraying and detailing my Alco Rs, so prefer to keep with the LAJ theme.

Best wishes,

Jonte

Archived