TMC Farish Announcement May 2011

tmc

Not only are they in stock but my 2 have arrived. Which is a surprise.

After all the discussion on here about the nose doors I was very close to canceling my order (as Ian B hinted at above).

But, because the whole saga had been going on so long I had forgot I must have given Credit Card details and not just registered an interest.

Therefore, they're here and she will go BANANAS when she sees the bill. Really part of me is kicking myself for not canceling when I posted on the 15th March.

I will say the paint job on the noses is not overloaded and there is crisp detail, the yellow band between the black and the roof grey is there and the rest of the finish is very good.

One had always been earmarked to become and FMGM pool loco so I might look at the possibility of scribing the join in the doors and adding hinge and bracket detail.

The other could be 035 if I plug the light and add a fake one at the top, all jobs I shouldnt be doing because its not as originally advertised.

Thats the last time I will commit to anything

Rgds

Mark

Unfortunately I have cancelled mine (2 on order) based on the production shots as I have neither the time nor the inclination to alter the model to bring it up to spec, and although I love Mercig's work I don't want to have to pay twice to get both the decoration and the detail remotely correct.

As people are always telling me when I goof, there are simple ways of checking it all, and google in this case is definatly your friend.

I'm afraid I'm out, on this one. What a shame. :-(

Dave

Hi Dave,

I see your point in that these models should have been a little better researched....but I think that I can afford the modelling time to re-number and add a little door detail......at least the paint error was rectified before the production run.....

However, spending time on the 37s means that I will have less time available to add buffer beams, change etched grilles and work out how to backdate the cant rail grilles on a 56!!!!

What a shame!! ;-/

Later,

Stu in KOQU

Hi Stu,

Like I said "people are always telling me when I goof".

Cheers

Dave

Indeed Dave.......

Due to my chosen region/period, the 37s are on my radar whilst the 56s ain't.....

Most models purchased need some detailing/fettling to 'fit in' and these will be no different....

Even your future 27008 might get plated centre windows!!!

Apparently, it's the joys of modelling...

Later,

Stu in KOQU.

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to announce that the Scottish Thirty-Seven Group have teamed up with TMC, the Whitby based model shop. TMC have commissioned from Graham Farish a limited edition N Gauge model of West Highland favourite 37027 in BR Large Logo. It comes with a West Highland Terrier motif and Loch Eil nameplates attached. They are also producing for us at least 6 – with the possibility of follow up orders – models of 37025 from its days as an Eastfield locomotive. The locomotive will be unnamed in BR Large Logo with a West Highland Terrier motif and it will also be weathered (price still subject to confirmation).

We have received the first batch of 6 models of 37027 and the Group will be selling them for £110 including postage and packaging. All monies raised are going towards the restoration to mainline standard of 37025. The models look fantastic and are a must have for any collector of Scottish-based N Gauge models. If you are interested in a model, please let me know via my email below.

37027_1.jpg

37027_2.jpg

Sorry if I am missing something but what's the difference between the 37027 that you're selling for £110 and the ones TMC are selling for £99.99?

Cheers, Richard

You get to pay a donation to get/ keep their tractor running at Bo'ness!!!!!

With regards to commissioning a model - I would have expected the Scottish Thirty-Seven group to have known about specific details of the Eastfield tractors when they ran in a specific livery and with particular nose details :no: A quick inspection of a few photos from the relevant era would have highlighted the necessary I would have thought.

Cheers

Lee

Sorry if I am missing something but what's the difference between the 37027 that you're selling for £110 and the ones TMC are selling for £99.99?

Cheers, Richard

The difference is £0.51 as the nameplate is already fitted to the STG model (see picture above) and postage & packing is included in our price. To purchase the same model from TMC would cost you £109.49.

Furthermore, as highlighted above, by purchasing the model through the STG, the profit made on the sale (more than £0.51) will go towards the upkeep and continued restoration to mainline traffic of 37025.

• RMweb Gold

How is the pondering going?

Hi Nicholas,

Not bad - I was just trying to see whether 37027 made it to Kyle or not....my initial research only seems to uncover it on a rail tour, whereas I think 37025 might have been more in attendance.

Can you offer any advice on that?

Thanks, Pete

I am afraid you are right in saying there is no record of 027 making it to Kyle on a passenger train other than an SRPS tour in 1983 (when it would have been in all over BR Blue).

Depending on your era I suspect both 37025 and 37035 would be better locomotives if you are modelling the Kyle branch.

• RMweb Gold

I am afraid you are right in saying there is no record of 027 making it to Kyle on a passenger train other than an SRPS tour in 1983 (when it would have been in all over BR Blue).

Depending on your era I suspect both 37025 and 37035 would be better locomotives if you are modelling the Kyle branch.

Thanks for beings direct about that - I will leave it until the end of this month to make a decision, as its a lot of dosh if I then need to go about renumbering and renaming assuming they would be the only mods necessary...

i waited with much interest to obtain one of these TMC Class 37 Large Logo tractors. However when I recieved mine, never have I been so disappointed. With an interest in the West Highland Line during the Mid 1980's the TMC class 37 as Loch Eil was a must. On receipt of my model i promptly compaired the model to pictures of the actual of Loch Eil class 37 and immediately spotted the errors on the TMC model. Not having followed the discussion on here, but considering the time taken to correct some of the immediate errors was not worth the premium cost for one of these models.

I find it very hard to believe that a Limited Edition model commisioned could be so wrong. I did take the liberty to compared to an Older class 37 made by farish as a none limited edition which appeared to be more pleasing in its correctness than the TMC version. i do feel that when a premium price is charged for a limited edition then it should not have so many discrepancies.

Neverless I've returned mine, especailly as it had a fault each in which the red tail lights kept flashing in a forward direction.

In the absence of any other Farish split box class 37's at the moment this could be a could start for 37020 as seen at the head of 1S07 awaiting to depart Glasgow QS one cold morning in 1985 (I think it was???):

http://pogo.smugmug.com/Diesels/Class-370-373/16408317_m52hKS#!i=1234221741&k=Wkbb8QD

Just need to remove aerials, centre headlight, add correct headcode lights, lower it ... oh yes paint into BR bue and add the Eastfield logo :mosking:

i waited with much interest to obtain one of these TMC Class 37 Large Logo tractors. However when I recieved mine, never have I been so disappointed. With an interest in the West Highland Line during the Mid 1980's the TMC class 37 as Loch Eil was a must. On receipt of my model i promptly compaired the model to pictures of the actual of Loch Eil class 37 and immediately spotted the errors on the TMC model. Not having followed the discussion on here, but considering the time taken to correct some of the immediate errors was not worth the premium cost for one of these models.

I find it very hard to believe that a Limited Edition model commisioned could be so wrong. I did take the liberty to compared to an Older class 37 made by farish as a none limited edition which appeared to be more pleasing in its correctness than the TMC version. i do feel that when a premium price is charged for a limited edition then it should not have so many discrepancies.

Neverless I've returned mine, especailly as it had a fault each in which the red tail lights kept flashing in a forward direction.

I can understand your frustration with regards to technical faults and these can be expected to arise with any model regardless of being a Limited Edition or not. I trust TMC offered to replace the model free of charge when you explained that it had a technical fault?

I agree that having flush ends is not entirely accurate but I am very pleased with the models. I think the painting quality is of a high standard and that these models are an otherwise good representative of an Eastfield stalwart.

• 2 months later...

I still have 1 x 37027 in pristine condition at £110, 2 x weathered 37027 at £115, 1 x 37025 in pristine condition at £135 and 2 x weathered 37025 at £145.

The models of 37027 are named Loch Eil as detailed above and the models of 37025 are unnamed but with Westies. All models are headlight and DCC fitted.

• 4 weeks later...

Are TMC having issues with selling this model? I popped into a local, non TMC, shop to find these in stock - they implied they have agreed not to undercut TMC on price and PP. 

Its a nice model in the flesh if the issues with the nose are not vital to you. 

• 1 year later...

[...]  I've returned mine, especailly as it had a fault each in which the red tail lights kept flashing in a forward direction.

I might have bought yours today from TMC at the Warley Show!  At least, I got the heavily weathered version of "37027" (now thinking I should have it renumbered as 025) and it had the fault you described (it was their display model). I thought I should mention though that, after running in, the fault seems to have gone (fingers crossed).

Archived